Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

truck pulls one way and shoots other when off gas! LSDs

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck pulls one way and shoots other when off gas! LSDs

OK its icy and snowing a little bit so I took the truck to the store just now. It seemed fine on the nasty roads to bogus a few weeks ago so Im a little confused.

Locked the hubs in (it has LSDs truetrac front and rear) and pulled out of the parking lot and slid a bit the front seemed to walk all over. Straightened out and drove down the road, when I accelerate it pulls to the left ALOT then when I let off the accelerator it shoots off the right! Gets a bit scary so I was curious if theres a problem that is common and can be fixed or a part is loose. I just replaced the idle bushings so could it possibly be alignment?
Old 12-13-2008, 07:58 PM

Sounds to me like you drivers side hub didn't lock.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:07 PM

How would I check??? Do the sometimes get junked internally or frozen?
Old 12-13-2008, 08:37 PM

jack up that side and see if you can spin the tire by hand with the hubs locked in
Old 12-14-2008, 06:58 AM

OK Ill do it in a little while, if it is engaged and working then what could the next culprit be?
Old 12-14-2008, 07:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
X2....def sounds like a hub didnt lock, or you have a really bad axle
Old 12-14-2008, 08:54 AM

I went out and throttled hard and its engaged, also when it drifts the front if I smash on the pedal it straightens out a bit. I think its the rear LSD pushing the front goofey then when I stomp on it, the front slips then engages causing it to straighten out.

I broke a stub shaft 2 months ago, replaced it and disengaged the Auto vaccum with a pipe clamp and sliding the sleeve over the axles engageing it as well as keeping it from backing off. I think for snow I would have been better with just a LSD in the front for stering and pulling purposes vs the pushing from the rear. In the Mud/Hills/Deep snow/Sand etc it performs like a beast but on ice and really pack slick stuff the rear is a hinderance.

Please keep posting though as My ideas are purely speculation!

Either play in steering?
Alignment is out a little causing the pulling and weird?
Tie rods are worn out?

Doesnt drift right or left on pavement in 2wd, 4wd takes some getting used too!
Old 12-14-2008, 09:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You sure you are geared the same? If you are pushing the front end your rear is turning faster than the front pushing it along. Not good
A selectable locker is better for those reasons on slick roads if the rear end stays locked up it is a handful to keep straight.
You shouldnt use 4wheel drive on pavement(sounded like you may be doing that on wet pavement) It will be hard to turn and bind, not good on it.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:14 AM

Went to 4wpw to have them check alignment and apparently the wheel bearings are a little loose and the upper psngr ball joint is BAD. Could this cause the darting off upon acceleration?
It feels like the psngr side raises up when accelerating more than the drvr side you can kind of see it when using the ground as a level looking through the glass and stomp on it. It only drives goofey in 4x4, 2 wd its fine.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:40 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Could be the bad ball joint - the weight transfer difference between accel and decel could be causing it to move. NOTE: this is a BIGTIME safety issue. It needs to be replaced NOW - this is not one of those things you can wait to do later.

On the other hand, this is the drawback of an LSD - you still get almost all the drawbacks of a locker. There is a lot less lateral stability when both wheels on an axle are spinning. With an open diff, the wheel that's not receiving any power tends to hold the truck on the line... and why I am such a proponent of selectable lockers for rigs driven on slick roads.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bullcrew
Went to 4wpw to have them check alignment and apparently the wheel bearings are a little loose and the upper psngr ball joint is BAD. Could this cause the darting off upon acceleration?
It feels like the psngr side raises up when accelerating more than the drvr side you can kind of see it when using the ground as a level looking through the glass and stomp on it. It only drives goofey in 4x4, 2 wd its fine.
The leaning to one side on take off seems to be just an effect of having a locker. My rear Aussie does it and maybe your truetrac is limiting the slip enough to do it as well.