Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Transmission went bye bye...I think. Help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission went bye bye...I think. Help.

1988 Automatic 4runner 22re w/160K miles (original).

Driving around all day and it was fine. Parked it for about 2 hours to see a movie, went back to leave, started truck put it in drive and nothing happened. Put it in reverse and still nothing. I don't see any fluid leaks anywhere. No funny smells. I didn't hear any funny noises or gears grinding at all.

The only gear it does go into is Low gear. It moves in low gear like normal but I didn't drive any distance because I just didn't know what would've happened.

It's currently parked a couple miles from my house and I'll be going back tonight just to do a sanity check on it. One thing I didn't check was the trans fluid. I'll do that tonight.

So what do you guys think? I know it's a big guess at this point until I bring it to the shop but I figure worst case it's the transmission. Not so worst case I'm thinking transfer case??

Thoughts? Thanks in advance guys.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
you mentioned you don't see any leaks, but did you at least still check the fluid level?
Old 01-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Contributing Member

Not that this helps, but I hate auto trans. Switch to a 5 speed!
Old 01-03-2009, 07:10 PM

you mentioned you don't see any leaks, but did you at least still check the fluid level?
I didn't, but I'm about to go back there with the wife and go check the fluid out.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:25 PM

check your connections. The a340h is an electronically controlled transmission. Check the shift linkage, mine use to come loose and with would automatically shift the trans into neutral (this doesn't really explain why it worked in 4lo). Trans fluid is important, you could have a small leak and it would cause no gears (again, not explaining 4lo).

The connector seems to be the best answer to your problem, after time they start to corrode and cause issues. It will be a white connecter by the passengers side firewall.

Let me know if that helped.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Lotus1
I didn't, but I'm about to go back there with the wife and go check the fluid out.
couldn't hurt; let us know what you find out!
Old 01-03-2009, 07:27 PM

Thanks Hayes, I'll check that. Heading out right now.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
That happened to my old 90 4runner... TC took a dump, along with the shift selinoinds.
It doesn't hurt to check linkages, and fluids though.

When I bought my 87 4runner, my 1st major mod was chucking the auto into the scrap pile in favor of a W56A from an 85 4Runner....best mod by far, you'll never look back, I did it for under 500 bucks.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:02 PM

this is the third time this exact thing has happened to 3 people i know. and then myself. i know that my friend and myself were able to fix it by simply driving in low and shifting back and forth from 4L to 4H and 2H until it went into gear. and havent had a problem since. but yours may be different
Old 01-03-2009, 08:46 PM

Okay, I checked the fluid and it appears that it's fine and at the correct level.

The connector seems to be the best answer to your problem, after time they start to corrode and cause issues. It will be a white connecter by the passengers side firewall.
I didn't see this "white connector" anywhere...do you have any pics of it that I can reference?

I was able to limp it back home in Low gear with the hazards flashing and my wife behind me. After I got into my subdivision I decided to try 4High. It actually worked in 4 high but barely. I drove around the block with it and was only able to get it to go so fast.

When I pulled up my driveway I could barely make it up the slight incline I have.
  • So the Tranny fluid seems okay.
  • No clunking or grinding of any kind.
  • Nothing is leaking underneath
  • No wierd smells of any sort

What are these symptoms of? Transmission or Transfer case?

The only reason I had the truck out today was because the sun was out and it was decent weather. I store this truck in my garage for the winter because I have another car I daily drive through the winter months. So whatever it is I really don't have time to deal with it right now and may have to wait till spring.

Thoughts?
Old 01-03-2009, 08:49 PM

When I bought my 87 4runner, my 1st major mod was chucking the auto into the scrap pile in favor of a W56A from an 85 4Runner....best mod by far, you'll never look back, I did it for under 500 bucks.
I would seriously love to do this swap but I don't have the know how to do this.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:52 PM

Do you have a factory service manual? That is going to be your best bet for the diagnosis.

I can try and get a picture tomorrow, when I have enough light by my truck.

The problem seems to lie with the trans, since the tcase shifts into low and high gear. The problem is that the truck runs in 4lo. I am stumped.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:54 PM

Download the factory service manual here and read to your hearts content in the auto transmission section.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Lotus1
I would seriously love to do this swap but I don't have the know how to do this.
It's not all that hard if you have all the parts ready to go, just time consuming. Plus the auto is one heavy, awkward sob. There's a couple great threads on here about the subject if that ever becomes an option for you.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:08 PM

Download the factory service manual here and read to your hearts content in the auto transmission section.
Thanks! I have a lot of reading to do.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:16 PM

it's cool. I have my hardcopy sitting next to me and I have been paging through trying find an answer. no lick so far.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:21 PM

park it on a small incline to allow the tranny fluid so settle at the bottom near the bolt to drain it.. then try draining a little bit out to check for metal shavings.. that would be a biig indicaator... also just spitballin, it sounds like somethins slipping... drive shaft or rear diff possible problems?
Old 01-03-2009, 09:56 PM

PM Tofer. He had the exact same problems a month or so ago. I don't remember the thread he started 'bout it, nor the outcome. Sorry! Or search for all threads started by Tofer, and I believe it was sometime in Dec......
Old 01-04-2009, 07:00 AM

Thanks A4. I found Tofer's thread and I'll PM him about it.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:27 AM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
sounds very similar to my problem which has yet to get fixed. (it nice having multiple vehicles sometimes). with mine my best guess is an electrical issue because it appears to work fine if i start it low and manually shift thru the gears. I think its going to be the solenoids or the white plug connector.

let me know what you find out and i'll post up my results when i get to fixing the "baby Runner". again i think its electrical issue for me... on mine the driver side switch panel isnt working properly.. it works as follows

door lock switch... does nothing
window lockout switch..... turns clock off and on
dr. window up... does nothing
dr. window down... locks doors
pass window up... nothing
pass window down... does nothing alone, however if you press it at the same time you press the window lockout button it will turn the clock off AND unlock the doors......

and thats just the start of the fun electrical issues i'm having to work out.

Quick Reply: Transmission went bye bye...I think. Help.