Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Trans leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 10:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Trans leak

I have a 1987 4Runner 22re with a automatic A340H trans.
I have been chasing this leak for sometime now and just can not figure it out. first off I changed the FIPG seal on the pan 2 times and the 2nd time got a new pan as mine was bent and warped and still saw the leak, then noticed it coming from the bell housing.
I then replaced the front pump fluid seal ( P/N 9031138020 torque converter one) and after it still leaked. yesterday I replaced the fluid pump O-ring (P/N 9030199010)and front pump seal again and it still leaks.
I noticed this time it was not leaking inside the bell house but between the bell and the trans as circled in the photo I can see it coming out above the pan and I know it is not the pan.
I really wish I was not disabled and could use a clutch, I would throw this thing away.
Any ideas what to look for when I tear it down once again?
Any help i can get would be awesome, thanks.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:58 AM

Thinking back I can not remember if I put thread sealer on the pump bolts. Could that cause it to move down the face of the pump then back to the seam of the bell housing and case and leak out?
Also was doing lots research on this and saw Chevy has a problem with this but it is from the 2 lower bell housing bolts needing sealant also, does anyone know if the a340 bottom larger bolts on the bell housing go all the way through to the inside of the case and would need sealant also?
Just trying to get a little insight before I tear it down again is all, and can not find any info on this at all.
I may try to add some dye to the trans and run it till I see it drip with my black light and shut it down and tear it down and look if I can see where it is, it is just a lot of work for this ol' disabled man that loves these rigs heh.
On a side note my tiny wife's tiny hands can reach in and get the 2 top bolts of the transmission, so that is a bonus.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:16 PM

OK this one was my bad. When I was putting on the new pan the PO must have not torqued the bolts correct because 7 of the 19 were stripped out so I just drilled them out and inserted Time-Serts. Well it looks like I got a little carried away on one and drilled a small pinhole through my trans. So yesterday I put some mixed up JB Weld in a plastic syringe and filled the top of the hole and gave it about 1/4" to the pan bolt. Today I filled it back up and started it and was still leak free after driving 50 miles. BTW I also didn't remember to put sealant on my Trans pump bolts, but the leak was very small from like 3 bolts I saw with the UV dye.