86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tranny problems throw out pilot syncros help

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny problems throw out pilot syncros help

Let me start by saying I've done a few mods thanks to searching like SR5 cluster, seat swap, and few others so thanks. I was driving today and as I take off my truck goes until I let off gas then a power loss like it went into neutral give it gas and it (clunks drive line) and goes it does it in every gear so if I'm driving in 5th and coast the power loss isnt noticable but the clunk when I give it gas happens. When I was younger I had a jeep and when you left off gas it would throw it out of gear its not throwing it out like that so I dont think syncros but what do I know. Its a w56 5 speed I also think my t/o bearing may be going cause from searching I found an indication of this was a whirring while clutch was depressed would this cause the above problem. Thanks for any help. Also I just replaced all fluids with a gl5 not gl4 could this be part of it.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:43 PM

I'm going to go in reverse order here. I also just put GL5 in my W55 transmission, and it seems to love it. If you have a whirring noise when the clutch is depressed, more than likely the throwout bearing.

The clunking sounds like it's in the driveshaft. Before you even start it up one more time, crawl underneath and check all of the bolts and u-joints on the driveshaft.

I don't think the clunk is coming from the transmission, at least not internally. If the u-joints and bolts are all good, check the transmission mount. Another possibility is the transfer case. Since I don't know squat about them, I will leave that up to more experienced people.

Good luck!

Edited to add: Sorry for asking, but I have to ask due to some of the strange stuff I've seen before. The drain and fill plug haven't fallen out of the transmission have they?

Last edited by yayfortrees; 04-28-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:50 AM

No the plugs are still there. Fluid levels are good too. What exactly do I need to look for with bad u joints. I checked the tranny mount and only the drivers side two bolts were in so I put bolts off my parts rig in passenger side pita. I have not drove it yet though so dont know if this helped.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:21 AM

Oh, I remember that issue.

On the u-joints, you're just looking for looseness. If you block the front tires, and lift the rear end off the ground, you can spin the driveshaft by hand with the transmission in neutral. You're looking for anything that wants to bind up, but that's a pretty slim chance. This sounds like something is way loose.

While you're under the truck, go ahead and check the transmission to motor bolts, making sure all of them are there and tight. If you don't have a body lift, I understand the top two bolts are really tough to get to. If all the others are tight, and you can see the top two, they should be fine.