86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tps...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tps...

I pulled my upper plenum off and sent my injectors for service. Got em' back and threw it all together and it runs like crap. While it was apart I replaced 2 of the injector plugs. Soldered brand new pig tails on to the existing harness.

So I might have left the plenum in the back of my truck.. It rained while I was at work, thou briefly. The plenum was positioned in a way that the tps was sticking straight up.

So when I went to start the engine, well it took a bit of cranking. I figured it would bleed the fuel rail and start up. Well it did. It ran alright initially, but a little later it began to run very poor. Very rich.

So I unplugged the CSI and it did not change. Ran out of day light.

Today I test the TPS per Rodger's website and step 2 and 3 measure infinitely open. I started the engine and let it run till the idle dropped., It did run well once again initially till the IACV closed, lowering the idle. At that point I unplugged the TPS and nothing changed.

So with all I've searched and the time I've spent reading I really just want confirmation before I spend 125 dollars for a new Toyota TPS. Can a failed TPS cause excessive richness? I can see smoke and smell fuel. It sure is obvious. Doesn't take much time to stink up the whole front of the house.

I also have a brand new cal cat that I want to install but I wont do that till I get the truck to run right. I don't want to kill the cat.

My motor seems to run ok for a bit, then run like crap. If I idle up it will maintain but as soon as I let go of the butterfly the engine almost dies.
I would appreciate input. Even if this horse has been beaten to death.

Last edited by gottadog; 02-14-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
u might want to pull the plugs and see if u are getting too much fuel, also since u did change a couple plugs are u sure u wired them correct? did u replace the fuel filter might of got something sucked into an injector and not closing right and flooding out a cly or two.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:23 AM

Fuel filter was changed late last year. I took time when splicing and soldering, made sure each wire was correct to the original plug. I ran out of daylight again. Ive been pecking away after work. So not much time before dark. I am getting a code 11. And that is before I tried unplugging the TPS while it is running.

Ill pull the spark plugs today after running the motor. If it comes down to it ill pull the injectors. Not sure how to test for leaking while they are under pressure but Ill pull out the CSI and test it while im at it.

Thanks man.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:05 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Make sure you have no vacuum leaks, obviously. Attempt to adjust the throttle sensor, before you trash it an buy a new one. If you're ready to buy a new one anyway you have nothing to loose in attempting to clean and refurbish it. Use rubbing alcohol or TV tuner(radio shack) on the resistive stips and copper wipers. If the feelers are badly pitted or worn you can take a fine(very fine!, eg the buffing type from a manicure set (dollar store)) nail file and pull it over the wipers. Do not pull the file backwards, eg against the natural curve. You can gently bend the wipers also to get better contact, take care to maintain the gap and alignments.

There are other likely causes, but since you're certain the TPS is mal adjusted or damaged you need to fix that first.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:29 PM

Turns out my CSI was leaking. I jumped the fuel pump and it started leaking. I unplugged the connector just to be sure and nothing changed. It is going back to injectorrx.com. They were more then apologetic. Said he'll pay for both freight and refund what I'm out if he can't correct the problem. TPS is also getting replaced with a new factory part.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:34 PM

Name:  20130226_164618_zps8befb48c.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  100.1 KB