86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Toyota sponsorship...in drag racing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 06:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Toyota sponsorship...in drag racing?

My roomate is a drag racer. Owns his own Outlaw 10.5 drag car. Tonight,sitting around the boob tube,having some beers. We're watching pro drag racing. Well,for those who follow drag racing,the name Al Anabi is making his name stand out in the last few years.
He is a gazillionaire oil sheik in Qatar,buying up all the big drag racing teams. (which s**ks actually).
While watching tonight...I noticed a Yota symbol on the sides of all his team cars!
(look on the driver side rear window of this Funny Car)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3628/...cda694.jpg?v=0

See that little Yota symbol?
Kinda makes me wonder why Toyota is into sponsorship of drag racing,when Toyota doesn't even have a single car in drag racing.
Things that make you go...hmmmmm.

Last edited by dutchboy; 06-28-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just doing what they can to display the name
Old 06-28-2009, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyota has been running Celica bodies in funny car for a few years now.
Also, they have viewed their sponsership dollars more well spent in Nascar and NHRA than, off-road racing, indycars, and sportscar racing in the USA as they currently have a bigger following here.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:08 PM

Yeah,I knew Toyota has cars in other racing events,but this is the first I've seen it in drag racing.
I never knew they even had Toyota's in drag racing. Well...at least thr pro classes.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I seen a thing on America's Most Wanted about a guy that killed someone( a teacher) in a illegal street drag in Detroit ( hit her head on at 100+ m.p.h. and ran) and skipped bail and couple years ago.

Fast forward to last weekend on A.M.W. they showed the guy they are looking for in Qatar and guess who he is racing for. This guy is buying up as many drag cars as he can and bringing them over to Qatar and paying American outlaw racer's to race them for his and his rich oil sheak buddies to bet on he even built his own NHRA spec'ed drag strip for their enjoyment.

I think Toyota exec's are a bunch of fools for doing any kind of business with a guy like that anyone who would help hide out a person that killed an innocent teacher or other person for that matter is scum
Old 06-28-2009, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by dutchboy
My roomate is a drag racer. Owns his own Outlaw 10.5 drag car. Tonight,sitting around the boob tube,having some beers. We're watching pro drag racing. Well,for those who follow drag racing,the name Al Anabi is making his name stand out in the last few years.
He is a gazillionaire oil sheik in Qatar,buying up all the big drag racing teams. (which s**ks actually).
While watching tonight...I noticed a Yota symbol on the sides of all his team cars!
(look on the driver side rear window of this Funny Car)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3628/...cda694.jpg?v=0

See that little Yota symbol?
Kinda makes me wonder why Toyota is into sponsorship of drag racing,when Toyota doesn't even have a single car in drag racing.
Things that make you go...hmmmmm.
I'm sure glad to know that Toyota (the company) is doing so well (not).
They have an F1 team that is hugely expensive. You can take all the other sponserships of theirs and add them together and those probably don't add up to as much as the F1 team cost them.

Fred
Old 06-28-2009, 09:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by olharleyman
I seen a thing on America's Most Wanted about a guy that killed someone( a teacher) in a illegal street drag in Detroit ( hit her head on at 100+ m.p.h. and ran) and skipped bail and couple years ago.

Fast forward to last weekend on A.M.W. they showed the guy they are looking for in Qatar and guess who he is racing for. This guy is buying up as many drag cars as he can and bringing them over to Qatar and paying American outlaw racer's to race them for his and his rich oil sheak buddies to bet on he even built his own NHRA spec'ed drag strip for their enjoyment.

I think Toyota exec's are a bunch of fools for doing any kind of business with a guy like that anyone who would help hide out a person that killed an innocent teacher or other person for that matter is scum
The death of a random person is probably minor for them, they deal on a large scale.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:56 AM
Contributing Member

Toyota has been sponsoring drag racing for quite a whille but it's been doing top fuel and funny car for over 5 so it's not a new thing and am not sure where this thread is going.

The US deals with much worse people they refer to as "friends" so to nitpick Toyota for something that is insignificant on a world scale is kinda silly and remember they aren't an american company so their world business relations aren't based on everything that happens in america.

I also think we should know all the facts before we spout alot of misinformation and there's alot of misinformation out there.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:49 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Have you been under a rock for the last 10 years.

They've been on nascar rides for a good while.

They have cars in nascar and even indy stuff.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by scuba

Yup, Toyota has put money on a lot of rides, even the pansy NASCAR rides

Fred
Old 06-29-2009, 10:59 AM
T4L

Toyota has their hands in all kinds of motorsports. Just because you don't see a Toyota vehicle doesn't mean there aren't Toyota axles or other parts involved. Did you know they are involved in Midget/Sprint car racing? http://www.toyota.com/motorsports/midget/
Old 06-30-2009, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by scuba

Scuba,
Nope..not living under a rock of any sorts,but if you read my starter post. I was refering to seeing the Yota symbol...on a pro drag car. Not a Nascar. I know they are in Nascar and plenty of other motorsports. Again,I was refering to pro drag racing...primarily because their are no Yota body(or engines) in PRO drag racing.
Another poster commented that their are Celica's in drag racing...but...not in Pro Drag Racing.(maybe in a lower class,like that boring Pinks or IHRA).
My post is directed towards Yota being involved in NHRA sanctioned cars.
Pro Stock,Funny Car or Top Fuel.

Btw...thanx for the relays. Just got 'em today!
Old 07-01-2009, 02:54 PM

There are a ton of drag racing Supra's in the lower classes. If the new Lexus Is-FC hits the market as planned it will be a big competitor as well.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by olharleyman

Heh, reminds me of September 11th. With all the video of terrorists driving around in their trucks, they were driving Toyota trucks. It became a big publicity thing because it was almost as if toyota was sponsoring terrorism. When corporate was asked about the video, they just replied "even terrorists want a good quality vehicle."