86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tires/suspension/whatever else? for 94 truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires/suspension/whatever else? for 94 truck

So, after dealing with all its other problems, I have finally gotten around to (and ready to blow my tax return) upgrade the suspension/tires on my 94 22re truck. The shocks are original at 178k.

First off, what shocks would work good for part on-road and part off-road/trail driving? I put KYB Gas-a-justs on the 94 4runner and while they were cost effective and definitely improved handling, they are way too stiff.

Next, should I replace the leaf springs too, or will they be fine with new shocks? This is my first time working with leafs (the Tundra is too new to need them yet). Not really sure how long they last, in comparison to coil springs, but right now they seem too soft.

Its also time for new tires. I usually just go with Michelin LTX A/T2s, but they leave some to be desired on mud and rocks. Whats something a little more aggressive, but still reasonable for highway use? Also, how big can you go without re-gearing/modifying? I think I've read that 33s are sort of the limit, but could be wrong.

Finally, while I'm in the mood for spending money, what are the best bang for your buck upgrades for a 22re? The things really a beauty and gives me less trouble than the runner, so it deserves the full treatment. Granted my budget is not unlimited, so the more cost effective the better. I'm sure the tires will eat up most of my budget.

Thanks everyone for any suggestions you want to provide. I'm new to the 22re, but so far I like it!

Last edited by cambob; 03-08-2012 at 12:56 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:20 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
2" lift and some new meats will look nice

:wabbit2:
Old 03-08-2012, 05:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well you are in a similar situation as I am with the whole tax return money. I installed Skyjacker Nitros on my '95 pickup. While they are very nice shocks, they are really stiff, so I would avoid those if you aren't wanting a stiff ride. As far as leaf springs, mine worked fine with the new shocks, however I am replacing mine because my shackles are squeaking a bit and a friend just lifted his Yota and giving me his previous leafs. I am about to paint my steel wheels and get some new tires. I found a place locally that sells used tires, but offers a 30,000 mile on them at a HUGE discount. As far as tires/gearing goes, as you stated, with a 22RE, the biggest you want to go would be 33s before regearing. I'm in the same boat you are as far as wanting all sorts of mods, yet trying to live off a budget at the same time. Just remember when getting new "toys" for your truck, don't "settle" for cheaper stuff, because you will regret it in the long run. Just my $.02

Last edited by DocLee; 03-08-2012 at 05:39 AM.