Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Timing will not lock out

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing will not lock out

A about 6 months ago the timing lock out to set the initial timing stopped functioning in my 88 4runner with a 22RE. When I jump the two terminals the check engine light flashes, but the timing is unaffected and will advance when I rev the engine.

This has become a bigger issue recently because I had to pull the dizzy and now I need to set the timing again.

Any thoughts? I was thinking maybe there is a fuse or a fusible link somewhere in that circuit that I can’t find.

thanks
Old 12-19-2009, 04:09 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Make sure the TPS is properly adjusted, first..
Old 12-19-2009, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by RMA
Make sure the TPS is properly adjusted, first..
Are you saying the ignition timing will not lock out without the TPS sensor voltage being in the correct range?
Old 12-19-2009, 04:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
just set ur timing to 13*..its about 5* short circuted or do all this

"Ok ready, first pull off the efi fuse for a couple of seconds, then reinstall it. Grab some Autolite #65 plugs, and side gap them at .048. Set the valve clearance to .011 cold. Install the factory carbed thermostat {Pappy: it's a 180* vs. 190*). Adjust the AFM 3 teeth rich (under 5000 a.s.l.). Start the motor, let idle till you reach operating temp. Set the timing at 16* "not short circuted," {Pappy: about the same as 8* shorted} then take it for a putt, re check the timing, and enjoy. Leave the airbox alone, for it's not a cause of starvation on a stocker, and don't worry about the muffler for now. If you're going to modify the exhaust, start with a header, and 2.5" headpipe."
Old 12-19-2009, 05:54 PM

Thanks yoterr, I will give that a shot.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:53 PM

Yota4runna, you were correct the TPS sensor was causing the issue. I fixed it today, thanks for the great explantion, it really helped!
Old 01-08-2010, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by yota4runna
The computer won't go into base timing unless the TPS sends the signal that the engine is at idle. How does it get the signal that the engine is at idle? The signal is 0Ω measured across the bottom two terminals of the TPS [the Factory Service Manual lists the specification as "less than 2300 Ω"]. Pull the connector off the TPS and measure the resistance across the bottom two terminals with the throttle at idle. It should be near zero ohms.

A very common problem is a sluggish TPS that doesn't return to idle when the throttle returns to idle. This is caused by years of oily residue creeping out along the throttle shaft and gumming up the TPS spring. Here's a picture of a TPS at idle. Notice the position of the TPS lever:

Here is the TPS held at WOT [wide open throttle] with a screwdriver:

Here's the same TPS with a gummed up spring that doesn't return to idle when the screwdriver is removed. Notice the position of the lever isn't at the idle position shown in the above picture:

This is the most common reason on the 22RE why the computer won't go into base timing when the jumper is installed.

You can spend over a hundred bucks for a new TPS, or you can clean up the gummed up return spring with some carb spray. Just spray into the spring area as you work the lever back and forth until the lever will return to the idle position on its own, with no hesitation. The spring is separated from the resistor area by a very effective seal. The spray WILL NOT get into the resistor area of the TPS.

Your post helped me greatly as I was having the same problem as the threadstarter. However even after I cleaned up the inside and got it to return properly I am still not getting the proper resistance readings as it states in the manual, I put it back together anyways and tried the paperclip again but it didn't seem to make any difference. I assume mine is just fubared. Is there anything else I can try before I just replace it?
Old 01-09-2010, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by yota4runna
The computer won't go into base timing unless the TPS sends the signal that the engine is at idle. How does it get the signal that the engine is at idle? The signal is 0Ω measured across the bottom two terminals of the TPS [the Factory Service Manual lists the specification as "less than 2300 Ω"]. Pull the connector off the TPS and measure the resistance across the bottom two terminals with the throttle at idle. It should be near zero ohms.

A very common problem is a sluggish TPS that doesn't return to idle when the throttle returns to idle. This is caused by years of oily residue creeping out along the throttle shaft and gumming up the TPS spring. Here's a picture of a TPS at idle. Notice the position of the TPS lever:

Here is the TPS held at WOT [wide open throttle] with a screwdriver:

Here's the same TPS with a gummed up spring that doesn't return to idle when the screwdriver is removed. Notice the position of the lever isn't at the idle position shown in the above picture:

This is the most common reason on the 22RE why the computer won't go into base timing when the jumper is installed.

You can spend over a hundred bucks for a new TPS, or you can clean up the gummed up return spring with some carb spray. Just spray into the spring area as you work the lever back and forth until the lever will return to the idle position on its own, with no hesitation. The spring is separated from the resistor area by a very effective seal. The spray WILL NOT get into the resistor area of the TPS.
I want to nominate this for post of the year! Now I know what to do to get my freaking idle to drop when I put the jumper in. You rock!!
Old 01-09-2010, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by schmooot
Your post helped me greatly as I was having the same problem as the threadstarter. However even after I cleaned up the inside and got it to return properly I am still not getting the proper resistance readings as it states in the manual, I put it back together anyways and tried the paperclip again but it didn't seem to make any difference. I assume mine is just fubared. Is there anything else I can try before I just replace it?
Try adjusting it.
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TPS/index.shtml
Old 01-09-2010, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
I can't get it to read properly at closed, then I get a bit of resistance at a little bit open, then it goes infinite when I open it up a bit more. Problem is it stays infinite at WOT. I've got a couple other ones I can try and see if it fixes it.