86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Timing cover gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 12:54 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Timing cover gaskets

I am going to put a new chain and guides on an '88 Toyota. I was wondering if I can get something better than the paper gaskets for the timing chain cover. Can I buy rubber ones anywhere or are they all paper? I don't want to redo the job because of an oil leak.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think they're basically all paper.

There are several different quality variations though and some are definitely better than others.

The best gaskets I found locally came from Carquest when I did mine. Just be sure to use a gasket sealer or permatex on every single gasket you install (except for o rings of course like the oil pump) and torque them down properly and you should be fine.

I found that black permatex works best where oil comes into contact with the gasket, gray permatex for the rest of the dry gaskets, and blue where there is water.

The black literrally sticks so well that it's very difficult to break the seal if you have to go back in. I would know too, I had to tear mine back down twice when I did it due to stupid mistakes I made. I got to see first hand what worked and what didn't.

My engine hasn't leaked a drop since I did the job. It's as clean now as it was when it was brand new.

Just remember, when sealing gaskets it only takes a very thin coat of permatex. Too much and you create other problems. I also brushed all of my gasket surfaces with a fine wire brush in my drill until they were perfectly clean and hit them with brake cleaner to get them oil free and clean before I sealed them up.

A little extra time when you're doing the work will go a long way.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:10 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Thanks for that information. I will definitely do that.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use some info that I got from one of these sites. USe the best gaskets you can get but instead of silicone just use a little white grease to hold them on. I have used this and it works great and no risk of that rubber crap in your engine.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've heard from several diffreent sources that the origin of using grease to seal gaskets came from back in the old days when gaskets were cut from leather and the grease was required to keep the gaskets pliable and sealed. Modern gaskets aren't designed to be sealed with grease and honestly, you run a greater risk of having leaks when using it than if you use nothing at all.

Don't forget that if you have an oil leak that as the oil soaks the gaskets it will give much the same effect as the grease would have, and I've seen plenty of gaskets leaking oil.

If you don't want to use permatex, use gasket sealer.

I used permatex to seal every single gasket in my engine and not only do I not have any leaks but I don't any clogged passages or any other bad things from doing it. All it takes is a little common sense when applying it. You have to keep in mind that you just need a little smear to seal the gasket.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To each their own I guess. My thinking is that the gasket is there to seal the 2 surfaces. If you use silicone then why not just get rid of the gasket. You do need the silicone where gaskets meet though.