Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Timing chain help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 01:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Timing chain help?

Looking at the FSM for my rig and it says I have to pull the head and drop the oil pan to change the timing chain. Someone tell me it isn't so or give me the YT work-around. I'm planning on doing this in the morning along with the front main seal and the oil pump.

Any help would be great.

Quick edit. I looked a little closer at the diagrams and instructions and can't for the life of me figure out why it says to pull the head/oil pan. I think I can do it without pulling either.

Last edited by Junkers88; 09-19-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:00 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, you should pull the oil pan because from all the old timing chain parts that have collected in there..
thats what ive herd..
Old 09-19-2008, 06:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 874runnersr5
Well, you should pull the oil pan because from all the old timing chain parts that have collected in there..
thats what ive herd..
Timing chain parts? Lord that gives me an icky feeling......
Old 09-19-2008, 07:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
there may be some parts of timing chain guides in the oil pan but dont worry there just plastic!

You have to loosen the head bolts too remove the timing chain cover in order to get to the timing chain.

get a new timing set with gears , chain and new guides

Check for wear on the inside of the timing cover were the chain would have rubbed on the cover, sometimes it wears through the water passage in the timing cover and leaks water into the oil if so replace that aswell!

when loosening the head bolts to remove the timing chain cover there is a 12mm bolt underneith the timing gear of the distributor that goes into the timing cover. Mark that bolt and make sure that it goes back the same spot you took it out of.

when removing the oil pump to get the timing cover off there is a funny shaped seal don't lose it or you'll be going to toyota to get a new one.

the tricky part is putting the timing cover back on after you get the new timing chain in, you should get the cover and all the bolts ready first a second set of hands can come in handy to (also put the crank bolt on finger tight it will make sense later). you have to put on the timing guides and tensioner on first followed by the gears and chain ( don't forget to line up the timing marks on the gears and chain), don't put the cam
gear on the cam yet have some one hold it up for you but don't let there be any slack in the chain or you could accidentally shift the timing. next slid the timing cover on by sightly lifting the head and put 2 or 3 bolts in the cover finger tight to hold it, now put a ratchet on the crank bolt and turn it until you can slid the cam timing gear on the end of the camshaft. thats the hardest part you should be good form there.
good luck
Old 09-19-2008, 09:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WTF??? YOU DO NOT HAVE TO LOOSEN THE HEAD BOLTS!!! You will have to replace the head gasket if you do. You can drop the oil pan enough to get the broken plastic guides pieces out and this will aid in getting the timeing cover back on, just push it up from the bottom when you have the oil pan down. Check the cover at the water pump to make sure it isn't cut thru. And as for the one small bolt under the distributor gear; It will be inportant not to over tighten that bolt. It will leak oil everywhere if you break it.. Here are some pic's of what the cover will look like if it is ate thru..

Old 09-21-2008, 04:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You do not need to pull the head. I have done two of these and each time I just pull the oil pan. I prefer to pull the pan off to get any debris out of there and ensure a good seal. With most trucks you have to remove the front differential to get the oil pan off.

Here is a writeup to replace the timing chain....
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/timingchain/

and another....
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ingChain.shtml
Old 09-21-2008, 04:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah a days works well alldata says 8.5 hours lol
Old 09-21-2008, 05:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you only need to pull the oil pan. you will have to clean the bottom side of the head gasket where the timing chain bolts up to it and apply a thin layer of sealant there. if you remove the main crank seal and leave the new one off until you get the cover installed, you will have a little extra room to raise and lower the timing cover so you don't bugger the head gasket.

also, dont forget the bolt hiding in the puddle of oil in the front of the head, to the side of the timing chain.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like everyone said, you don't have to remove the head. Here is what mine looked like when I did it a few months back.

Used the zip ties to hold the timing chain and cam gear in place, the front screw on the head is a to get out, just mark the distributor and pull it, makes it much easier.