Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

time for new suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
time for new suspension

I've read all the IFS list threads.

My truck is on stock suspension and hitting even small bumps is very jarring. I think the PO cranked the T bars to better accommodate the 32's she put on it.

For what I do with the vehicle I'd really like a suspension set up that will soak up the bumps at 15-30 mph. I would assume simply replacing the torsion bars and shocks would return the ride back to stock which I would guess is somewhat plush. I certainly wouldn't mind a 2-3" lift, but would rather spend the money on a locker. Does anyone have a recommendation for a shock-torsion bar combination that will produce a much improved ride quality? Anyone just get new OE t bars? Whats the opinion of the OME lift?

I know what a truck is supposed to ride like - but hitting potholes at any speed produces a "BAM" - its real stiff. In my tacoma I could speed up for speed bumps and almost bunny hop them. In my PU i had better be slowing WAY down or my coffee spills and my dog or passenger will get TOSSED.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have completely stock suspension on my '92 Xtra cab also, and it is the same way, really stiff. I only have 103K miles on it, and I bought it with 96K, so it's not all that worn out.

T-bars are at stock height on mine, rear leaf's are just starting to have very slight bit of sag, but not bad all for holding up a truck for 18 years.

The only thing ever done to this suspension is that PO put on a set of KYB Gas Adjust shocks on the front and back. Not sure of they are stiff shocks or what, but the truck is a rough ride. Just like you said any little pot hole or anything really, is a pretty hard hit, I can never drive with coffee and I have to almost barely be moving to take speed bumps without knocking my fillings out of my teeth.

My friends '01 Taco is night and day to my truck, rides like a Caddy, but then again it's got struts up front and the TRD package that comes with Bilstein's, so it's pretty sweet.