Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

time for new rear brakes, options options...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
time for new rear brakes, options options...

Well my old drums are pretty rusted out and I'm thinking its time for a whole new setup

I've been looking at doing a rear disc swap, but I feel like my drums did just fine

Anyone know where the best place that I can get a complete drum kit? Or the best place to get a complete disc swap kit?

thanks in advance

edit:

I have an 87 22re 4x4 pickup, IFS, stock diffs

Last edited by Yotafunk; 01-07-2012 at 11:47 AM. Reason: forgot to mention type of vehicle
Old 01-07-2012, 12:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I advise caution if doing a disc swap. If you're in the USA, we have requirements for parking brakes and most of the disc swaps use a disc bolted to the transmission to lock the brakes. That's not legal in the US so keep that in mind.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i have had http://www.trail-gear.com/ rear disc conversion on my rig for a little over a year along with v6 runner fronts and have good stong brakes. i would not hesitate to recommend them. night and day difference. i will have to get https://www.allprooffroad.com/ transfer case disc brake kit for the emergency brakes. i think with sky manufacturing rear disc kit you supply your own chevy calipers so you might source some calipers with e-brakes. i do know this much i will not be running drum brakes ever again period...
Old 01-10-2012, 12:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you can get new wheel cylinders and a brake hardware kit from any parts store, what u wont find are the parking brake adjusters that usually cause a lot of headache as they age..since they stop working correctly.

Keep in mind what Abe said but also keep in mind modifying a vehicle in just about anyway can be illegal. In Washington, it is. So disc brakes, braided lines, bumpers, lifts etc all illegal here, but i still drive my truggy 200 miles a week on the interstate :-p ...

I dont have vehicle inspections in my county, no emissions etc so I have less to worry about and now that its 25, it doesnt get inspected anywhere anyway.

Anyway, I love my rear disc swap, im using GM calipers and a Tcase brake... the tcase brake isnt as strong as a stock drum brake but it's fine for parking...if your on a hill id pull it and put it in gear. I've gone thru 2 cables (snapped) so be careful and pay attention to your tcase brakes spring, if it pops off (as mine did after hitting something on the trail) its only a stroke of the parking handle away from snapping that cable!
Old 01-10-2012, 08:56 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Just a quick note, RockAuto actually has the self adjuster kits for the drums, $11 or so per side.

I'd love rear discs, but I'm not keen on tcase brake. I just purchased a 1" Bore MC and new extended lines, eventually I'll get some V6 calipers up front and see how it goes.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:27 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Had GM rear discs and Toyota rear discs with full floater, and both stopped much better than drums. You need to upgrade your booster, MC, add prop valve after ditching your lspv, and either get a line lock or tcase ebrake. Had numerous tcase ebrakes too and setup right they work great. In states with no vehicle inspections they will never know, but such mods are classified as off-road only.

:wabbit2:
Old 01-10-2012, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by coryc85
<snip>...I just purchased a 1" Bore MC and new extended lines, eventually I'll get some V6 calipers up front and see how it goes.
This is curious to me - what else did you do to your drum brakes? If its the only change you made, why bump up the w/c diameter? Future matching with the V6 calipers and booster/master cylinder upgrade?
Old 01-10-2012, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Yotafunk
Well my old drums are pretty rusted out and I'm thinking its time for a whole new setup

I've been looking at doing a rear disc swap, but I feel like my drums did just fine

Anyone know where the best place that I can get a complete drum kit? Or the best place to get a complete disc swap kit?

thanks in advance

edit:

I have an 87 22re 4x4 pickup, IFS, stock diffs
I would like to replace my brakes too so please post here if you get it done. Thanks
Old 01-10-2012, 03:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
good to know thanks for posting!

Originally Posted by coryc85
Just a quick note, RockAuto actually has the self adjuster kits for the drums, $11 or so per side.

I'd love rear discs, but I'm not keen on tcase brake. I just purchased a 1" Bore MC and new extended lines, eventually I'll get some V6 calipers up front and see how it goes.