86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Thorley header install

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thorley header install

Well i actually posted this in the 84-85 forum on accident but I ordered a set of Thorley Headers for the 4Runner 3.0 and got them put in. The hardest part was getting the original stuff off. I had to cut the flanges off of the crossover pipe to get it out but once that was done it was smoothe sailing. The instructions say to torque the bolts to 35 ft. lbs. but there is no way to get a torque wrench on all the bolts. The lower ones on the back cylinders on both sides were a major pain in the a$$ to get tight. Once the headers were in and tight it was on to the Y-pipe that came with them. This was in 3 pieces and then the actual Y-pipe that tied the sides together. I am to the point now that I have taken the cat out all together and I am going to go and get a new muffler and tail pipe today. It is 2.5 inch to the muffler and then it will be 2 inch from there back. I still need to pipe in the egr valve and the pair valve or whatever it is that also hooks to the exhaust.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:49 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Did you get the Ceramic coated headers? also, you said that the headers came with the crossover and the y-pipe? and, did the headers come with the bung for the valves installed, or do you have to do that yourself? Im sorry to ask so many questions, but i am looking at getting a set myself, and i am thuroughly interested.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:10 AM

It came with the y pipe and the pieces to get from the passenger side to the drivers side where the pipes tie together. It has the fittings for the egr valve and the other thing that hooks to the exhaust on the passenger side. New bolts for everything, new gaskets, tubing for the egr valve and the other valve, and clamps were also included. I got the chrome ones myself just to try and keep cost down a little, it is not show chrome so they will discolor when they get hot.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:38 AM

Hey, I was thinking about headers for my 3vze also. What do you think of this for a coating mixed with a high heat manifold type paint http://cgi.ebay.com/Ceramic-Additive...2em118Q2el1247 ? I dont know if it would work or even be a good idea, but if it did, it would be cool to do the whole exaust. Did you find a good deal on the headers, are you happy with them so far?
Old 09-10-2008, 12:24 PM

id give him a day or so to decide on wether hes happy with them yet or not... id say that he will be happy tho...
just another thought... a lot of people say that they have the downey headers and they tend to have some bad fitment... any problems with the thorely???
Old 09-10-2008, 12:38 PM

I thought I read that the downey and thorley are the same headers.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ive had the thorleys on my 3.0 for a couple of years now and i love them. however the cross over that runs under the tranny will flake off and rust. mine are starting to do this.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:04 PM
Contributing Member

Did you clamp yours together or did you get them welded?
Old 09-10-2008, 07:44 PM
Contributing Member

Dont a lot of people have problems with headers on this engine? Something like cylinder #5 gets really hot? I cant remember exactly...
Old 09-11-2008, 01:35 PM
Contributing Member

no it's the other way around... the stock system is the one that get the cylinder hot, the headers are the solution that fixes the problem by eliminating the crossover.

Could one of you nice guys with the thorley's installed provide a pic of the installed set-up? I'm curious how the cross over pipe is routed among other things. Thanks
Old 09-11-2008, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by aviator
Did you clamp yours together or did you get them welded?
i clamped mine at the collectors and the welded everything else. i will take some pics by the end of the weekend. it is raining here in k.c. and its not supposed to stop tell sunday sometime.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:14 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks looking forward to the pics...
Old 09-11-2008, 10:26 PM

+1 id like to picture it as my truck...
Old 09-12-2008, 07:11 PM

I am very happy with them so far. I have not had time to completely finish them yet though. I am also replacing the whole exhaust system. The warranty sheet that came with them said that it is not show chrome on them and that they will discolor and eventually flake. Right now I have everything just clamped in place but I will go in and tack weld everything before I am completely done. I will try and take some pics once I am finished.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 09-12-2008, 10:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by trbizwiz
Hey, I was thinking about headers for my 3vze also. What do you think of this for a coating mixed with a high heat manifold type paint http://cgi.ebay.com/Ceramic-Additive...2em118Q2el1247 ? I dont know if it would work or even be a good idea, but if it did, it would be cool to do the whole exaust. Did you find a good deal on the headers, are you happy with them so far?
I used some of this on a set of CHROME SHOTGUN pipes for a SHOVELHEAD but it only lasted for a couple months then it started to flake off and the bluing began just like any other pipe. I myself like the bluing but that's me. Try taking them to a radiator shop that coats radiators and have them coat the set up might be the way to go but I am not sure of the heat issue. Maybe take them to a pottery place and have them see if they can do something with them ceramic is ceramic might be a option you can check into and get the same results.

Originally Posted by neilo
I am very happy with them so far. I have not had time to completely finish them yet though. I am also replacing the whole exhaust system. The warranty sheet that came with them said that it is not show chrome on them and that they will discolor and eventually flake. Right now I have everything just clamped in place but I will go in and tack weld everything before I am completely done. I will try and take some pics once I am finished.
To bad you did not header wrap them and the crossover before you installed them. I am sure you can still do it but what a pain in the ass it would be installed
Old 09-13-2008, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by olharleyman
I used some of this on a set of CHROME SHOTGUN pipes for a SHOVELHEAD but it only lasted for a couple months then it started to flake off and the bluing began just like any other pipe. I myself like the bluing but that's me. Try taking them to a radiator shop that coats radiators and have them coat the set up might be the way to go but I am not sure of the heat issue. Maybe take them to a pottery place and have them see if they can do something with them ceramic is ceramic might be a option you can check into and get the same results.

To bad you did not header wrap them and the crossover before you installed them. I am sure you can still do it but what a pain in the ass it would be installed
If you check the warranty on the headers in their on-line literature wrapping the headers voids it, is probably why it was'nt done.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aviator
If you check the warranty on the headers in their on-line literature wrapping the headers voids it, is probably why it was'nt done.
Wow that seems a bit dumb but I guess they can do what they want. After the warrenty runs out I would think about doing it then to keep it from pitting out at the cross over
Old 09-15-2008, 04:10 PM

i thought wrapping headers made them hold moisture in, thats why they void the warrenty if they where wrapped. which would make them rust faster. correct me if im wrong. ive never wrapped headers.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:38 PM

here are the pics oof my thorley headers installed 2yrs. ago. still love them except the rust.

Quick Reply: Thorley header install