Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Tech Write up - Rear spring install - 2nd Gen 4Runner

Old 12-16-2006, 08:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tech Write up - Rear spring install - 2nd Gen 4Runner

Disclaimer - I am not a professional, just a college punk who likes to tinker with his truck. Although I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, please proceed with caution.

Rear coil spring removal - Second Gen Toyota 4Runner 4WD

This install requires...

Parts - Eibach Pro kit PN# 8228420 1.5? Lift Springs

Tools - Floor jack, jack stands, pry bar, metric socket set (3/8? & ??), 3/8? ratchet, ?? ratchet, and a decent sized hammer.

I would recommend measuring the truck before performing this install, I used the top of the wheel arch it was 34" before install, the sag was strong on this truck. If you have a spare tire, remove it.

I used a hoist so in my situation I lifted the entire truck, obviously everyone doesn?t have this luxury. For the driveway install lift the rear of the truck and place the frame on jack stands allowing the axle to move freely. Raise the axle to relive the shocks and springs with the floor jack. You can now begin work.

Remove the rear wheels, place them under the truck by the rear doors, this is a little extra security. Next you must remove the lower shock mount bolts; they are a 15mm (I think). Then pry the shocks off the mount point. You can leave the shocks attached to the upper mount for this install.

Remove the sway bar end link bolts. It is a 12mm on top and a 14mm wrench holds the link.

Remove the six bolts 12mm that hold the rear brake hard line and soft line in place. This will allow the axle to drop low enough without having to disconnect the rear soft line. This helps save time since you will not have to bleed the rear brakes when done.

Disconnect the pan hard bar; you can leave it attached at the frame mount. Simply remove the bolt attaching it to the axle mount and pry it away from the mounting point.

Because the passenger side upper control arm was hitting the gas tank limiting the distance the axle could drop I disconnected it at the axle mount. The rear axle should now be ready for lowering.

Lower the jack allowing the axle to drop, be careful to watch the rear brake line to make sure it?s not going to bend the hard line or stress the rubber soft line. If it is questionable, disconnect it. To gain extra room I placed the jack on the pass side of the axle and raised it slightly allowing the drivers side to drop an extra few inches.

The axle should be low enough to remove the spring. There are rubber spring isolators at both ends of the spring, make sure they are not lost or thrown out.

Here you can see the difference between the stock spring (left) and the Eibach spring (right).

When installing the new spring you must make sure the spring is located in the right position. The ears should be pointing towards the passenger side of the truck. Fortunately the old springs leave a nice indentation in the rubber isolator and this clearly shows where the spring should be positioned upon install. Now move on to the passenger side, because of the upper control arm is disconnected on this side I did not need to raise the opposite side to gain extra room. Remove the stock spring, make sure the rubber isolators are in place and reinstall the spring.

You can now lift the axle with the jack and reconnect the control arm and shocks. Leave the control arm bolt loose. You can also secure the brake hard line and soft line to the axle. Reinstall the wheels on the truck. Remove the jack stands and lower the truck down to the ground. You may now attach the pan hard bar to the axle; it is much easier to do this when it the axle is at stock height. You can now tighten the passenger upper control arm now. It is recommended to do it this way as it is now sitting at stock ride height. You have now successfully installed new springs in your second gen Toyota 4Runner, congratulations. Measurements of the truck after install showed a gain of 2-3/4"

Before 34" from floor to top of wheel arch.

After 36.75" from floor to top of wheel arch.

Enjoy! (I gotta say, these tech writeups are way harder than I thought. I wish I'd taken better photos. Sorry guys!)

Last edited by fiveofeen; 12-16-2006 at 08:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
maddogandnoriko (01-06-2022)
Old 12-16-2006, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dude you got some shaky hands
Old 12-16-2006, 09:56 AM

Hah, no kidding! Nice writeup, nonetheless... I should be doing the same soon enough, though I won't have the luxury of a hoist...
Old 01-06-2022, 04:34 PM

Years later....thank you for the write-up. Helped me get er done.