86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

tboned ifs problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tboned ifs problems

Hey so I'm throwing this up just to see if anyone's came across a similar problem. A BMW hit my wheel, I run 33x12.5 and luckily the rim took the impact super well. But the ifs did not. Before the hit, the wheels stuck out a good two inches? It was visible. Now the wheel is closer to flush with the fender. I took it in to a local Midas just to get a lowdown on the damage (pulling heavy too the left) and they gave me a list of ˟˟˟˟ I already knew that went part of the accident. Regardless they said tie rods, idler arm and sway bar links 100% needed switch up, which I expected. I'm planning on throwing new parts on this week but I am skeptical that the wheel will be back in it's regular spot. I will be doing both sides at the same time. Inner and outer tie rods, idler arm, Pitman arm,sway bar links and bushings. This is all on a 90 pickup 4x4. I love my truck so much and we need help! Anything else I should change up while I'm in there? What would cause the wheel to be pushed in so far? Bearings? Cv axle? I'll have pics posted soon I hope. Any suggestions would be awesome. ThankS
Old 03-15-2015, 06:35 PM

Is the whole wheel pushed in, or just at the top? Is the other side where it normally is, or is it pushed out?

Ball joints are an often overlooked component that can bend. You get neat problems like bumpsteer and tire squeal around turns. Knuckles and control arms can also bend, but you can measure dimensions on these and compare to the other side.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:41 PM

The whole wheel is pushed in flush and the other front wheel maaay be slightly out but not by much if so. I may just be over analyzing it while standing there though. But again. Heavy pull to the left, the side that was hit. Heavy.

Last edited by jbaums; 03-15-2015 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:02 PM

sounds like you have some frame damage. you should take it to a real shop and have it checked out. also your control arms may be damaged as well.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Chaser Johndoe
sounds like you have some frame damage. you should take it to a real shop and have it checked out. also your control arms may be damaged as well.
Ugh that's the last thing I want to be hearing, I will stay optimistic for now but yes I will be getting it looked at this week. I figured throwing some new tie rods to see if the tracking improves was a cheap way to start narrowing it down. I just thought a ball joint or some arms n all those ifs pieces would give before the frame would? The impact was under 30km/hr.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Shady Cadence
Is the whole wheel pushed in, or just at the top? Is the other side where it normally is, or is it pushed out?

Ball joints are an often overlooked component that can bend. You get neat problems like bumpsteer and tire squeal around turns. Knuckles and control arms can also bend, but you can measure dimensions on these and compare to the other side.
The whole wheel is pushed in flush and the other front wheel maaay be slightly out but not by much if so. I may just be over analyzing it while standing there though. But again. Heavy pull to the left, the side that was hit. Heavy
Old 03-15-2015, 07:16 PM

look real close at your hood gaps

Does the gap on the driver's side of the hood get tighter toward the front, and does the passenger's side get wider?
Old 03-15-2015, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Shady Cadence
Does the gap on the driver's side of the hood get tighter toward the front, and does the passenger's side get wider?
Nope! I just ran out and looked at it in the rain and dark buuut They seem pretty even too me. The frame was pretty solid from what I've seen. Convinced it's just some Toyota ifs issue. If it's bigger than I'm willing to throw into it I might just start planning a sas. Given there is no frame damage.... Ahhh. I just want er feeling better. I appreciate the opinions And time though!
Old 03-15-2015, 11:30 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Comparing the two sides it should be pretty easy to see just what has moved .

I would look closer at the Suspension more then the steering linkage.

It might be possible for us to spot if you posted pictures.

Like you said if your planning SAS now would be the time.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A car hits your wheel, pushes it in a fair distance....

I'd be surprised if your headlights are straight.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:44 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Where are the pics? ESpecially the ones you took of the suspension with the wheel removed
Old 03-16-2015, 06:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Almost same thing happened to me. I had frame damage to the effected wheel. When the frame shop pulled it, they ripped the frame. Needless to say the shop put a new frame under my truck. I wouldnt allow them to fix and weld the frame.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:10 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
You said some one hit you... no insurance claim? The bmws insurance should be paying for all of this.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:01 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

With the age of the truck it would be totaled .

Then you give up your truck for what ever book value is.

I have seem more then a few fights about how much things are worth us poor Toyota people lose more often then not.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you do it yourself, check the control arms and where the cam adjusters are. When you take it in for alignment, get a "thrust angle alignment" and have them do an SAI & IA sweep, it only takes a couple extra minutes so shouldn't cost any more. Thrust angle alignments align the front to the rear, SAI & IA should be equal on front, if not something is still bent. Rear thrust angle should be as close to zero as possible, otherwise you get "dog tracking" like a lot of Ford trucks I've seen.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:15 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming9
With the age of the truck it would be totaled .

Then you give up your truck for what ever book value is.

I have seem more then a few fights about how much things are worth us poor Toyota people lose more often then not.
He shouldn't have to give up the truck for the book value. That would be the case if he was making a claim on his own collision insurance. In that case the insurance company pays off the vehicle value and claims the vehicle.

Howerver, in this case the BMW insurance company has a liability responsibility for damages, not a collision claim. They have no legal interest in the Toyota. They should simply pay the actual damages, and the disposal of the truck is completely up to the owner. He can repair it, junk it, sell it, whatever.

The BMW insurer might try to limit their payment to the book value of the truck, but they cannot collect the title.