Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tapping noise....

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tapping noise....

Hi everyone...
Newbie here...Well not new to Yotas though, I had a 88 'runner with the v6, and I'm coming back..., found a 94, v6, 143k, looks like new in and out, even has the original spare tire. One owner. Asking $2500.
Now the bad part, is making a kind of tapping from the top of the engine, could it be lifter prob? On These motors are hydraulics right? Is it a easy or expensive fix? The tapping increases/decreases with the revs, and sometimes goes away. It drives and run good, feels the right power and no smoke...
Any comments? What would be a reasonable poffer for thi truck?

Thanks in advance...

Juan
Old 03-05-2007, 09:18 AM

Anyone?
Old 03-05-2007, 10:44 AM

Sounds like your lifters need adjustment. They use shims. The reason I say this as opposed to may the fuel injectors is that you said that sometimes the tap is there and sometimes it is not. Usually when 'tapping' goes away when the engine is hot that indicates lifters. If the tapping stayed no matter when and what you are doing that is usually injectors.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by cormel
Sounds like your lifters need adjustment. They use shims. The reason I say this as opposed to may the fuel injectors is that you said that sometimes the tap is there and sometimes it is not. Usually when 'tapping' goes away when the engine is hot that indicates lifters. If the tapping stayed no matter when and what you are doing that is usually injectors.
How would you fix the tapping from the injectors? My truck makes that nosie all the time?
Old 03-05-2007, 11:03 AM

Usually when the injectors get dirty they are louder. So you can try to put some injector cleaner through the system a few times to see if that helps or you may have to get inside to clean them or just live with the traditional toyota tap
Old 03-05-2007, 12:45 PM
Contributing Member

you may want to check and see if the seal around the steering shaft at the fire wall is intact. if it is worn or missing, the sound is transfered into the passenger cabin.

like most of us with the 3.0, we learn to tune it out.

lee
Old 03-05-2007, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by cormel
Thanks for your reply...yeah I remember the injector tapping and is not that, I can hear them in the backround though, but not that loud. This tapping comes mainly from the drivers side valve cover.
So I thought these were hydraulic lifters or self adjustable. What is involved in that job? What's the best manual to get if I plan to work on this baby?
Also discovered both cv boots are shot so i guess new drive shafts are calling me...when I test drove it, I was checking the 4WD and when I was down in l gear and turned all the way right or left i hear that clicking...how difficult is to replace them on an auto hub?

Thanks!
Old 03-06-2007, 05:03 AM

Hi again...
Who has done the lifter adjustment before? I've read I need a special tool, where can I get it?
Also, how loud can the tapping get and how to differenciate it from a rod knocking?