86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A/T oil temp light stays on always even when first started

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation A/T oil temp light stays on always even when first started

Ok i have a 95 toyota SR5 V6 4x4 pickup automatic (i know ide rather have the 4 cyl stick) anyhow the A/T oil temp light wont go off and in the cold morning it doesnt like to shift into od and seems to search gears .after sitting all day at work the truck seems to run fine and OD is engaged correctly.ive replaced the Trans fluid and filter ,i added a tranny cooler last summer before the problem started.replaced the tps ,coolant temp,cold start injector switch,and most of the temp sensors and switches on the motor .,added an electric fan in place of the standard fan.i have 171000 miles on the truck, however im not the first owner and the other guys didnt seem to take care of it .there are alot of splices in the wiring harness and they have replaced with one from a 4runner .the tranny says 3V on the housing.any help? This is my first V6 toyota my experience is with the 20-22series die hard
motors.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:40 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
I'd start with something easy: check the sensor http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...34electron.pdf (last page)
Old 12-13-2012, 09:31 AM

SCOPE103 is that the fsm ,i went cheap and got the Chilton,(i hate those things) like two pages on the auto Trans, nothing about testing sensors.i tested the old tps and it had a flat spot (it was shifting in and out of gear like crazy) so i picked one up at the bone yard) tested out first) of a Lexus 2VZE same sensor part numbers etc.I'll check the temp sensor i have an idea that's what it is but haven't been able to pick up the fsm to test it.i also have a feeling the splices in the harness to the tps play a factor in the behavior of my truck but that's later.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:11 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
The Chilton's is okay; Haynes is better. But nothing beats the real deal, and you can't beat the price! (it's for stuff like that you come to Yotatech.)

Checking the TPS with an ohmmeter is a trick; the contacts are very hard to get to. But you (and I) don't have to do that; the transmission ECM does it for us! See page AT 128 in the link sent earlier.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I do not care for Chilton at all. At least get a Haynes if you can. There are still FSM that can be downloaded but is gettin harder to find.

Another way of finding some info is to Google the question with Yotatech in the search. Another way for some things is to Google the question with Youtube. I have found alot of things on that as well.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:07 PM

I'm petty good with cars and trucks took a few years of automotive classes focusing on Toyota but always worked with the 4 cyl and ditched the Trany classes.I've built and rebuilt several cars and the Chilton and haynes books are ok if you do normal stuff.its when your the 3rd owner of a vehicle that people have replaced and modified that that are no good.i may just break down and go see my old toyo tech teacher if i can't figure it out.the tps is good i have codes in the eco that don't seem to want to leave,22 and 41 i think, coolant temp sensor and tps sensor and my O/D off light flashes different codes each time which may be fire to the other problems.i know someone replaced the wiring harness with an older model 4 runner harness since when i replaced the alternator i had to get the one for 87-92 which had the round 3 plug not the flat 3 that the 95 came with...