Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

91 to 93 3vze problems and differences. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
91 to 93 3vze problems and differences. Help?

So here goes! 91 3vze non A/C 5speed 2door 4runner. HG blew and i bought a cheap running engine to toss in while i save for a 3.4 or 2jz... He he. Anyways the engine was a 93 out of an auto 4runner. Needless to say a 93 is much different than a 91 3vze.. And well we have some problems sofar.

The Throttle bodys are different- tps facing inward, couple extra vac lines.
Then theres the plenum that is missing a coolant line that runs under it and the egr valve has a plug/ sensor on it. 91 doesnt.
Knock sensor plug is different- has two wires visible while if i remember correctly the 91 has the signal wire with a insulator around it which houses the ground too.. So they need splicing exc... Hope we made that work well enough :S

Then the distributors are different- uses a different plug, the shaft after the gear isnt there on a 93 were a 91 has a 2" shaft aftet the gear. No worries it fits in the 93. Cap is slightly different with little hook type locks for plastic plug connectors rather my 91 is just smooth with slide in rubber connectors. The ignition lead is different- hole for the plug going into the cap is smaller than the 91's so my (91) lead wouldnt fit into the 93 cap and it will run like poop.

There are a few other little things but those are the big ones we have found sofar. Now onto my problem..

So we went to fire it up for te first time using the 93 ignition (didnt notice 91 coil lead didnt fit nicely into dizzy cap -__-) and it started right up but ran on maybe 3 cyls... Hmmm lol. Running really ruff it shot out gas out the exhaust like crazy with a puddle about a 2 feet round the exhaust. Un burnt fuel is scary!!!! So after killing it we decided the 93 ignition components had to go. So we switched over to 91 ignition so atleast the lead would fit well and it was also in better shape than 93 stuff. (again the 91 has extra 2" shaft after dist gear **) so we slid in plugs from the 91 because the ones in the 93 were horrid, used wires too, and whole dizzy. This required us to re splice in the old dizzy cap wiring for a 2nd time. After timing it by eye TDC exc... It refused to fire at all. Even after 3 times re-retiming it. Still not even one fire... Soooo...

Am i missing something here? Im going to the junkyard to get ahold of a new plug and wires for te distributor and a few random bits. What could be my problem here and am i missing something involving timing? I cant bridge te1 e1 and properly time it nore that am i gettibg any timing at all or should i stop listening to my nissan friend who is a heavy duty mechanic lol kidding... Anyway sorry for long post!!! Just felt it would be good to give you guys some info and a nice read any ideas are welcome!
Old 06-26-2012, 06:23 PM

Bump. Anyone have and tips? Am i thinking right with it just being a ignition problem that is causing all the un burnt fuel sprewing out my exhaust and brutal idle?
Old 06-26-2012, 06:36 PM

Did the opposite a few years ago 91and to a 95 truck pain in the ass. Nithing was the same injector plugs knkck sensor ac bracket and your problem the dizzy. I was lucky my new dizzy that matched my plug on my harness would work in the 91 but unfortunatly for you not vice versa. Does sound like a timing/wiring problem to the dizzy your rrying to make work
Old 06-26-2012, 06:44 PM

Nevermind. You said the shaft from the 91 fit in the 93? Get the rotor and cap to match the harness you have in the truck. Thats what i did on my end.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:50 PM

Yeah the 91 dizzy fits in the 93 engine luckly lol and im using my 91 engine harness with the knock sensor and dizzy wiring spliced (differet plugs same wires) but my problem now i think is the dizzy plug wireing we did this second time arond. Its been re done twice and i think we messed it up this time so im going to get a new plug and wire it in perfect. Then attepmt at timing it. It has to be the wiring because we didnt even get one bit of a fire with the 91 ignition. But it would start right up (on 3 cyls an fuel spewing out lol) with the 93 ignition. I just hope it doesnt light on fire :S fuel is scary as hell
Old 06-30-2012, 08:29 PM

So we re wired the connectors for the dizzy right and replace- cap,rotor, and plugs. It runs on all cyls i think now. Any way i drove it and its fine above 2000rpm and up pulls great but its idles really ruff. So now i think i have a decent vacume leak or just beacuse i was really low on gas...

Anyway no more gas shooting out or anything. Hoping it will idle proper tomorrow. Pray please!!!!!! Lol oh and any ideas feel free to share!
Old 07-01-2012, 04:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just put a 90 engine in my 93 4runner. i had the 90 truck here so i just cut and spliced in the dist & coil connectors. had to also change a couple more things , but it fired up and been running great .
Old 07-01-2012, 04:23 AM

Coil connectors?

Yeah sofar i Had o change the knock sensor wiring, and the distributor wiring because we intitaly set it up for the new engine cap (93) and went back to 91. Other than thats its been pretty painless.

It idles at 1500 and pretty rough too. But once you drive it its fine above idle. Sounds great and pulls good. Anyway we figure it has a vac leak and or low fuel causing it to idle up. Any tips are welcome lol
Old 07-01-2012, 04:38 AM

ya i used the coil and dist from the 90. the 93 4runner plugs where different so those got changed. where is the knock sensor ?. i dont remember if that is something i changed or rewired ?.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:46 PM

Ohyah yeah the lead is forsure different i jusy used my 91 coil and distributor.

Knock sensor is right in the middle of the block under the intake manifold. It has a wire that squeezes out through the drivers side of the manifold under the TB. Its pretty important and you have to make sure its not pinched.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:45 PM

So anyway pretty sure i have 3 burnt valves. So putting my old heads on the new block with ne HG's
Old 08-10-2012, 12:38 PM

Bump.... I am a newbie to this site but not a newbie to yotas love them and am a little lost. I have a question on what you did with the temp sensors on the back of the manifold. I just did a swap on a 92 body with a 91 motor. the only wiring i have had to switch so far was knock sensor. I am trying to hook up the rear temp sensors and switches and they are obviously not the same, I mean why would they be. I have no hose that runs into the heater core? (think thats where it goes) I have a sensor in that spot. Did you just put the old unit on and go with that or did you start splicing wires. I am using the 92 harness on it which seems to have been a slight mistake on my part. I also am going to have to splice my dizzy as well. I am unsure if someone said I could use the 92 on 91 or vise-versa. I am kinda needing a little advice on what do to. sorry to big the dead thread back up just need a little help. I am so close to done and these are the last few things I have to do to get this out of my garage and drive it. any and all advice welcome and gladly accepted.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:06 PM

Hey dude.
I'll see if i can answer some questions.

If i remember right we just pluged in the temp sensor or atleast spliced it in?? Either way whatever we did it worked with the 93 sensor and 91 harness.

The heater core line is a littler different. With the 91 im pretty sure it runs under the intake plenum to the front. Its weird. Just look at both plenums side by side and u will see. Been so long!!!! Lol. Anyway we were able to switch it to the way the 93 runs by bupassinh the line under the plenum and runninh t
It from the back pary with all the sensors... Sounds like it may be easyer to switch the back part?

U should be able to splice the wirea for dizzy though i ended up going with my 91 dizzy because its a 91 harness/truck. U could use your 92 dizzy in the 91 engine and not splice anything?

Anymore questions fire away! Sorry if i seem dumb i just woke up lol
Old 08-14-2012, 01:31 AM

So anyway just finished up the headgasket job. Ended up getting my 91 heads decked and new oem HG's. After two strait days we got it all installed but it would barely run. Drivers side head was ticking. Knew we put the valve shims backwards since we left them in a row but couldnt remember which way.. Anyway switched them around and checked clearences this time all good. Runs now and is driveable but its sputtering hesitating mostly undet 2800 rpm when idleing u can hear a slight misfire but free reving it sounds fine. Then under load it sputters till 2800 then seems better and wull rev right up past 5k. Now what..

Things that arent from the 91 engine.
- 93 block
- 93 coolant temp sensor at back of engine
- egr
- one 93 injector

Everything else we kept 91.

We figure its either a vac leak, bad injector, vafm, coolant temp sensor, or egr.

Since we arent using the 91 coolant temp sensor i figured maybe that? Though it seems to read fine on dash?

Vac leak. So many vac lines wr coulda missed a bad one but doubt it.

Bad injector. We used 5 original workinh injectors from 91 engine and used the best looking injector from the 93 to fill in the one we broke. Maybe its clogged?

Vafm worked great before so doubt it but maybe.

Most likely is the egr. I found it loose around were the pipe bolts on to under the actual valve. U can spin it around even. Could be sucking air in? Figure i might JB weld it and see.

Anyway please help my yota friends! My buddys are driving me nuts to go wheeling and camping haha
Old 08-14-2012, 01:49 PM

Sorry. bump! Anyone ?
Old 11-28-2012, 09:03 PM

Hey man any update on fixing your issues? I'm coming across the same problem. I have a 92 pickup manual and just threw a 93 auto 4runner 3vze in it. It idles like crap and is throwing a tps code. Also is spewing what seems to be gas out the exhaust.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:28 AM

my problem was bad connection on the harness plug going to the knock sensor. tight area to work in under the throttle body. my guess would be go over all the connections.
sounds like your temp sensor maybe bad or connection.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:16 AM

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure the 91 injectors are different than the 93 injectors. The older style had a low-impedance injector and the newer style had a high-impedance injector. So, the 91 computer isn't getting the correct signal from that one injector out of the 93. That would explain your fuel problem. And, every time I've ever done a 3.SLOW swap, I always just use all the upper components off the motor that came out of the truck. Put the 91 knock sensor in, the 91 upper and lower intakes, 91 injectors, 91 distributor, cap, rotor, and plugs. Keep all the wiring the same as it was originally. Then I usually do an egr delete but that's optional. good luck.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:24 AM

i did direct swap from my 1990 pickup to my 93 4runner. but had to change the coil, dist , and i believe one sensor at rear of intake. truck runs fine after i found the bad connection at knock sensor harness. also the flap in the air box can stick and cause it to run rough.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:51 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Has any one adapted a new style throttlebody/tps (95) on to an older style(89) style 4runner?

Trying to help some one I sold parts to. Oh well learn something new every day.