Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Swap Base to SR5 buckets & Console Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Swap Base to SR5 buckets & Console Question

I'm planning on switching my front bench seat to SR5 buckets whenever I can find the time to get to a wrecker and find some grey seats out of an SR5 4runner or truck. How easy is the console to swap in? Is it held down by the same bolts as the seat somehow? I assume I also need to take the seatbelt clickers too and bolt them down underneath the seats as well, etc. ?

Also, is the console one piece? I notice there is a little "surround" part that goes around the shifter area to almost make it seem like a floor shifter (I have a 5 speed manual). And the skirt around the 4wd and manual shifters are different than the base.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would think that the seats and console would be a direct bolt in. the bolt holes should be there. As far as the shifter portion of the console, it is a seperate piece from the console. i can take some pictures and send them to you if you'd like.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:31 PM

Yeah I'd really appreciate the pictures actually. I've seen pictures of the SR5's with the buckets, trim, console, etc. but never seen anything really up close to help explain everything. Mind you maybe I should get off my arse and go to a wrecker to have a look.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:48 PM

I have the interior ripped out of mine right now, so I can get some pics tomorrow if you still need them. (88 4runner)
Old 01-28-2006, 10:27 PM
Contributing Member

IRK... if you can get the pics, you might be faster than me, i gotta borrow a camera to take pics, but will if needed....
Old 01-30-2006, 09:48 PM

Just a follow up to this thread. I went to a wrecker today who posts new arrivals on their website. They are a Toyota oriented wrecker. I just wanted to check what they had and parouse what I might be looking for. I also noticed they had a green SR5 pickup in the previous month and thought there might be an outside shot they had that truck and the seats were still in there for a look to see if they were good enough.

Well 20 minutes later and $228 out of pocket (CDN funds, including tax) here I am walking out with mint condition grey SR5 bucket seats from that very green truck (grey interior). I was going to take the centre console too but it was cracked and I couldn't find anohter grey one. There will be a little bit of drilling to install a console and it's something I'll look at at a later date. Besides it's not like I currently have a center console so I won't be missing anything when I put the seats in. I'll just keep my eyes peeled later. But otherwise I'm pretty pumped to say the least. Looks like a pretty easy swap. And the drivers seat adjusts in a few interesting ways. Will sure make those long highway drives to the lake or river a lot nicer!
Old 01-31-2006, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seats are NOT direct bolt in. I put seats from a 93 4runner SR5 into my truck, and if I remember right, only 2 holes on the driver side lined up, and 3 on the passenger. You will need to do some bracket modification to get them to fit. I also put in a factory center console. I had to drill the 4 holes inside the console where it bolts down.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:44 AM

Seats are a bolt in from 4runner to truck 90-95.
Get the seatbelt latch ends. You may need to drill for these.
Most 4runner consoles cover and bolt to the rear heater.
Standard shift surround trim is fragile and usually broken.
2 door 4runner passenger outer track is shortened,
Extracab drivers seat inner front mount uses a mounting point an inch closer to center of cab.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:05 PM
Contributing Member

echo all that above +
centre console has bracket welded to floor at front that the two side screw attach to...you could cut thru the welds with a dremel(take some time) or a cut off wheel then either weld or bolt (use silicone ) the bracket to the floor.
the center console on the trucks is different from the runners... no heater.. they have a bin instead and another bracket at the back (same mounting as front) the truck one is rare so if you see one even if front is broken grab the bin and rear bracket if posible. It will save you later when you find a good console in a runner.

seat rails from a 4dr runner won't work because they are'nt long enough. you need the rails out of a 2dr for a directish plug n play.
you could also go the dealer route for that part...
cheers aviator

Last edited by aviator; 01-31-2006 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:07 PM

I was thinking of doing the same thing eventually and using the space inside the console for a sub woofer adn maybe a small amp to suppplement the 2 front speakers, It seems that you could do ot pretty easy, but I havent seen one in person. Look at this 94 truck that had a console: I would love to have bought that and put the deisel clip refered to in another thread, but regardless, you can see what they can look like.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT