Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Super sluggish when cold

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Super sluggish when engine cold

Hi -

When my 1988 Pickup with 3VZE vehicle is first started, it starts with a higher idle (as they do when they are cold), and then idles back down a few minutes later. This seems normal. The temp gauge still reads cold, when it idles down. When I drive off (automatic trans), it nearly will die, as it slugs through getting of the line. I also noticed if I vary the throttle position (give it very very little throttle), it takes off just fine, though very slow (because I'm giving it very little throttle).

I'm wondering if I might have a bad coolant temp sensor or something similar. Is it also possible that the TPS is not set correctly or is bad? Dirty AFM? Is seems to run great once it's warmed up. There are no codes stored in the computer. Do the codes only get stored when the sensor is completely disabled (electrically)? Or is the system smart enough to detect when the sensor is simply reading "out-of-range"?

I can test the sensors to see if they are within range.

Thanks!

Last edited by spddm0n; 04-13-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:31 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by spddm0n
...I can test the sensors to see if they are within range...
Yes. And clean them and mountings to bare shiny metal. They need to be regularly cleaned... at least once every 30 years