Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Stumped, truck don't run

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stumped, truck don't run

I have a 88 pickup 22 re 4x4 5spd. Have down loaded factory service manual, have hanes& cilton manuals. Not my first rodeo.. had problems whith fuel pump and tank , rust in tank clogged up pump. Dropped the tank cleaned it red coated it (that stuff works great). Installed new pump. Now I have 2 issues first, whith the key in account mode no fuel in the rail pump does work in start and truck dose run. Second is timing. (Bad sir gap) reolaced disstributor, I have brought #1 up tdc, rockers are loose on#1. IndInstal disstributor rotor pointed up lined up pickup rotor .put it all back together. Truck whont start. By playing with the disstributor, ( I had to pull the hold down bolt, rotate disstributor counter clock wise as far as I could) put the bolt back in so oil don't spray out. My timing is at about 40% btdc. The truck will run, lick crap raw . Turn disstributor to the right it dies. New chain and sprockets 8 months ago truck ran good till fuel pump issue. Rest the timing rechecked chain rockers are right. Everything looks good from FSM. I don't get it is there anyone on this site that lives in San Antonio Texas. If any body has any ideas you can drop me a message hear or at my email jimszarka@gmail.com and thanks
Old 06-05-2018, 07:09 AM

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts
For the fuel, the pump won't prime the system with just the key in acc mode. It takes the engine cranking or running because the afm completes the circuit when the engine is drawing air thru it.
The way to prime the system is to jump the fuel pump circuit in the diagnostic plug under the hood and pressurize the system. Jump the FP and +B terminals

Your timing issues I couldn't figure out because the discription wasn't very clear.

just saw you have an 88 so you probably don't have the diagnostic plug like the later years. There is a plug to jump though so if you Google fuel pump jumper for your year, you should see the plug to use and how to do it

Last edited by Robert m; 06-05-2018 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:29 AM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
A 1988 Truck will have the diagnostic port by the fuse box. Toyota started installing those diagnostic ports part-way through the 1987 model year.

I cannot quite tell how you have your ignition timing set. Did you make sure your distributor is not off a tooth?

If you have not changed out the fuel filter after all the junk you cleaned out of the fuel tank, it would be a good idea to do so.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:12 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
My guess is your out a tooth on stabbing the distributor.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by J.z.
I have a 88 pickup 22 re 4x4 5spd. Have down loaded factory service manual, have hanes& cilton manuals. Not my first rodeo.. had problems whith fuel pump and tank , rust in tank clogged up pump. Dropped the tank cleaned it red coated it (that stuff works great). Installed new pump. Now I have 2 issues first, whith the key in account mode no fuel in the rail pump does work in start and truck dose run. Second is timing. (Bad sir gap) reolaced disstributor, I have brought #1 up tdc, rockers are loose on#1. IndInstal disstributor rotor pointed up lined up pickup rotor .put it all back together. Truck whont start. By playing with the disstributor, ( I had to pull the hold down bolt, rotate disstributor counter clock wise as far as I could) put the bolt back in so oil don't spray out. My timing is at about 40% btdc. The truck will run, lick crap raw . Turn disstributor to the right it dies. New chain and sprockets 8 months ago truck ran good till fuel pump issue. Rest the timing rechecked chain rockers are right. Everything looks good from FSM. I don't get it is there anyone on this site that lives in San Antonio Texas. If any body has any ideas you can drop me a message hear or at my email jimszarka@gmail.com and thanks
Ok I'll try again. I bring #1 up on compression stroke, ( verified whith a screwdriver in plug hole ). Cranke pointer on zero. Rockers for #1 are loose ( if I was 180 out rockers should not be loose )! I installed the distributor with rotor pointed at 12 oclo'cl. Bolt hole lined up. Push distributor in rotor turns to 10 oclo'cl (just as all the books say!) I line up the pickup coil install the bolt. Put everything together and truck don't start! If I pull the bolt out and rotate the distributor counter clock wise all the way. I have to put the bolt back in to keep oil from spraying out it's not in the slot. So my timing is at about 40% BTDC.. the truck should not run but it does. It runs like crap! If I rotate the distributor clockwise the truck dies. I have varifed piston cranck and came all whith the FSM!
I don't get it ,any help is appreciated and thank in advance Jim @ jimszarka@gmail.com
Old 06-05-2018, 09:43 PM

Jz

Originally Posted by Robert m
For the fuel, the pump won't prime the system with just the key in acc mode. It takes the engine cranking or running because the afm completes the circuit when the engine is drawing air thru it.
The way to prime the system is to jump the fuel pump circuit in the diagnostic plug under the hood and pressurize the system. Jump the FP and +B terminals

Your timing issues I couldn't figure out because the discription wasn't very clear.

just saw you have an 88 so you probably don't have the diagnostic plug like the later years. There is a plug to jump though so if you Google fuel pump jumper for your year, you should see the plug to use and how to do it
My question was, I read that whith the key in accessories position there should be 35psi in the fuel rail. I have nothing,. The truck will run. And I know how to jump the fuel pump whith FP and +B thanks for your reply
Old 06-05-2018, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by thefishguy77
My guess is your out a tooth on stabbing the distributor.
If that was the case I would no have to rotate the distributor all the way counter clockwise just to make it run, correct?
Old 06-05-2018, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by old87yota
A 1988 Truck will have the diagnostic port by the fuse box. Toyota started installing those diagnostic ports part-way through the 1987 model year.

I cannot quite tell how you have your ignition timing set. Did you make sure your distributor is not off a tooth?

If you have not changed out the fuel filter after all the junk you cleaned out of the fuel tank, it would be a good idea to do so.

I am prity Shure it's right. One of the 12 times I did it I should have got it right. And I still have to rotate the distributor all the way counter clockwise whith the bolt out to make it run. And yes new fuel filter installed thanks for that tip
Old 06-06-2018, 07:05 AM

Have you put a timing light on it? If so what did you get?
Old 06-06-2018, 07:33 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Sorry, please describe your symptoms in clearer manner if you want people thousands of miles away from you to help.

I...whith the key in account mode no fuel in the rail

You mean "Accessory" Mode?
That's normal. Radio will work but pump will not run in Accessory mode and you will not get fuel pressure in rail. Then you do not have a problem with that.

pump does work in start and ...truck dose run. ...
Pump works and truck does run, so what is the problem?
Old 06-06-2018, 10:32 AM

His problem is with the distributor and having to rock it counter clockwise to barely get it to run. Claims its stabbed right.

Could the PO have done the timing chain and had it a tooth off and had the distributor stabbed to compensate? Just a wild guess at this point.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:20 AM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
My question was, I read that whith the key in accessories position there should be 35psi in the fuel rail. I have nothing,. The truck will run. And I know how to jump the fuel pump whith FP and +B thanks for your reply
whether you read that there should be 35 psi in the rail with the key turned to "acc" or not is immaterial. there should be no pressure, after sitting for some period of time, with the key only turned to "acc". the pump does not get powered that way. find a better source of reading material.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:51 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Jim,
Fuel pump only turns on when ignition key is first put in START (crank) position. When there is already airflow though AFM, the C.O.R. keeps fuel pump energized even when Ign switch is returned to IGN ON position.

C.O.R. explained here.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:39 PM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
after you stab the distributor is the rotor pointing at the #1 plug wire? do you have the firing order correct? I just gotta ask.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:41 AM

Is it possible the crank pully spun? Can a dizzy gear spin?
Old 06-08-2018, 06:05 PM

Is it possible the crank pully spun? Can a dizzy gear spin?
If it did which I don't think so the piston is at TDC. Verified whith a screwdriver in the spark plugs hole.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by akwheeler
after you stab the distributor is the rotor pointing at the #1 plug wire? do you have the firing order correct? I just gotta ask.
Yes to both I thought of that so I drilled out an old cap.#1 hole and can see the rotor at #1. And firering order is right
Old 06-08-2018, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Sorry, please describe your symptoms in clearer manner if you want people thousands of miles away from you to help.

That's normal. Radio will work but pump will not run in Accessory mode and you will not get fuel pressure in rail. Then you do not have a problem with that.

[i]
Thanks for fuel pump issue! Now the broblem is the timing! #1 piston is at#1 TDC rockers are loose for #1. I stabe the distributor with the rotor pointed at 12 o'clock, it turns to the 10 o'clock position, pontingp to #1 on the cap! Truck will not run. I had to pull the hold down bolt, rotate the distributor counter clock Wise as far as it will go. I put the bolt in it's hole to keep the oil in.( It's not in the distributor slot at all). The mark on the cranke pointer is not even close to the gage.its as best as I can figure 40% BTDC. Truck will run but like crap!
Old 06-08-2018, 06:27 PM

His problem is with the distributor and having to rock it counter clockwise to barely get it to run. Claims its stabbed right.

Could the PO have done the timing chain and had it a tooth off and had the distributor stabbed to compensate? Just a wild guess at this point.
I did the chain and it ran for 8 months. Till the fuel pump issue. Now it's timing
Old 06-08-2018, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner

[i]
The problem is I have had to rotate the distributor as far as I possibly can counter clockwise. It whount turn no more! just to get it to start. With the timing light it's about 40% BTDC