86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Stuck on timing chain job!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stuck on timing chain job!?!?

Everything was going fine with the chain job until I went to put in the single top bolt into the new timing cover, and it didn't line up.. I got my stuff from ENGBLDER, has anyone had a similar experience with the top bolt not lining up with the new timing cover?? I guess it may have been taped out once before and be larger than oem size, but it forced me to close up shop for the day, until I figure it out..I may just put the old cover back on, its in fine condition... What do you guys think???

I also had a little trouble getting the cover to slip under the head gasket that hangs over without crushing it..(didn't take the head off) When I take it off again tomorrow, do you think it would be a problem if I cut the old piece of head gasket of and made up a new one with gasket maker? Since its not actually affecting the head or compression it doesn't seem like a major issue... What do you think???

Thanks
Old 10-16-2010, 03:17 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Valve clatter
Everything was going fine with the chain job until I went to put in the single top bolt into the new timing cover, and it didn't line up.. I got my stuff from ENGBLDER, has anyone had a similar experience with the top bolt not lining up with the new timing cover?? I guess it may have been taped out once before and be larger than oem size, but it forced me to close up shop for the day, until I figure it out..I may just put the old cover back on, its in fine condition... What do you guys think???

I also had a little trouble getting the cover to slip under the head gasket that hangs over without crushing it..(didn't take the head off) When I take it off again tomorrow, do you think it would be a problem if I cut the old piece of head gasket of and made up a new one with gasket maker? Since its not actually affecting the head or compression it doesn't seem like a major issue... What do you think???

Thanks
I would use your old cover. Media blast it, clean it (parts washer) and inspect if for any cracks.
I would not cut the old head gasket. If you are careful you can do it without any problem.
I loosen the oil pan bolts in order to GENTLY slide the cover back on so as not to upset the HG. I have never had one leak to this day and I have done quite a few this way.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:28 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
are you talking about the bolt that goes through the head that gets "hidden" by the cam sprocket? if so, your timing cover is probably not lined up correctly. Does yours still have the guide pins on the front of the motor? mine didn't.

oh and DO NOT cut that piece and put RTV etc in it. I messed up mine when I did mine leaving the head on but because I did mine in the dark well I pinched the headgasket did what you are describing and it leaked oil like a siv.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 10-16-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:44 PM

Well I was intending on making a new gasket with gasket maker to replace the one, (not just rtv) if I decided cut off, because it did get pinched a little. But I will try to salvage whats there..

I also wanted to mention, I forgot to mark the distributor before I took it out... Is it gonna be a pain to straighten out? The chain and sprockets are lined up fine with the bright links...Just forgot about the rotor...Suggestions?
Old 10-16-2010, 03:45 PM

just follow the FSM and you will be fine.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
just follow the FSM and you will be fine.
x2
turn the rotor so it is lined up straight, put the dizzy bolt hole in the center of the dizzy bolt hole opening and slide it in. The FSM explains that easily. You shouldn't have any issue with that at all.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:56 PM

valve clatter, just set the rotor of the distributor to the #1 on the cover and you should be good to go. You may have to play with the distributor once you start it but you should be fine.

When I did my timing chain I put some gasket maker of the top of the timing chain cover just in case the head gasket was messed up from taking things off. (I wasn't sure how old it was and didn't know if it was going to fall apart on me)

Also do as toyospearo suggested with loosing the oil pan bolts, it helps alot.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:08 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
i remember seeing someone write about cutting a soda can apart so it's just a flat piece of metal and using that between the top of the timing cover and the head gasket to prevent it from getting crushed....kinda like a shoe-horn.

distributor is not so hard....i have an excellent pic of mine in the absolute correct position on my thread....THREAD "B"...i assume near the end of it
Old 10-16-2010, 05:10 PM

I forgot to mention putting a little gasket maker on the cover where the headgasket is like richf said.
but don't put too much.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:20 PM

OK.. I know it shouldn't be a big deal, but I get all paranoid when I'm tearing into my daily driver and things don't go to plan... The new cover is on right now, but I will be taking it off tomorrow, and putting the old one back on..I'm sure ill need to replace the gaskets again, because they got rtv on them and are prob a little damaged from the first installation... I hope the little spot that got pinched on the head gasket can be bent back and still used...
Old 10-16-2010, 05:43 PM

why are you taking the cover off again? If it's good to go I would leave it. I used the rock products from engine builder and haven't had any problems but I have only had them on for about a month and maybe 5 miles.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:04 PM

The top (hidden timing bolt) is not lining up with the new cover.... Plus I realized once I looked down, that the driver side of the head gasket was protruding into the chain area and a little pinched... It sucks, but its life, and when the hell do things ever go 100% to plan... At least Ive got the feel for it all now, so it should go better tomorrow as long as the head gasket situation goes smoothly...
Old 05-14-2012, 02:50 AM

Timing chain gear bolt.

Adjusting the valve shims,most of the exhaust valves are to tight so i thought it would be easier to remove the cams instead of pulling each shim one by one.
Things were going smooth until i tried to loosen the timing chain gear bolt.
Does anyone have any suggestions ?

I have a cordless impact wrench but it is too bulky to fit .
Old 05-14-2012, 04:03 AM

If it has a timing chain gear bolt then it doesn't have shims, if it has shims it doesn't have a timing chain. So, I at least, do not know what you are talking about.

More info on your own vehicle, and/or not hi-jacking someone else's thread would be a good idea.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:17 AM

Timing chain gear

1997 Toyota tacoma 2.4
The vehicle has shims under the cam lobes and also a timing chain.
I had the valves inspected once at 90,000 miles but i dont think shop did anything to the vehicle.
I have 156000 miles and the exhaust valves are tight,i figure i will do it myself this time.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:33 AM

86-95 Trucks & 4Runners do not have shims and timing chains. Posted in the wrong section man. Thanks for searching though, many other people don't.