Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Stiff shifting through 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stiff shifting through 3rd

Hey Y'all,
I need some advice. I was driving through town today, lots of stop and go, and i was noticing that shifting fisrt through 3rd was kinda stiff, not like i was having trouble moving the stick but sorta a little resistance between gears and a little pop into gear and outa gear. First thing that popped to mind was
a) was the clutch fully disengaging. I will check but why would this only happen in 1st-3rd.
b) tranny fluid? It is probably original, and i leaked some a couple weeks ago when i checked my vss.

Any other things? I read that shifter bushing could be the issue but i don't know how to check.
Im going to check for the clutch disengaging this afternoon, and try some different shoes to see if its me, but i doubt it as i have been feeling a little bit of resistance for a while.
Fluid levels? It probably wouldn't hurt to go ahead and change the tranny fluid, i cant find any 75-w90 gl4 locally so thats not something i can do quick. I will check my clutch fluid levels too.
Hope y'all have some suggestions,
Speed
Old 07-18-2013, 10:58 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Check clutch, maybe bleed if the fluid looks brown-ish. I would highly recomend using (ordering online) Redline MT90 in you tranny. Smoothes out the shifts really nice. Do a search if you like, lots of people on here use it for just that reason. Very durable synthetic and shifts like butter.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bingle
Check clutch, maybe bleed if the fluid looks brown-ish. I would highly recomend using (ordering online) Redline MT90 in you tranny. Smoothes out the shifts really nice. Do a search if you like, lots of people on here use it for just that reason. Very durable synthetic and shifts like butter.
I may do that, but you'll never figure out what the problem was
So i dont have a radio, but i do have some speakers, with the PO's customary hack job wiring. Well when i had the dash off i found that he had soldered some heavy duty cable to the stock speakers and ran it to the radio, well with the radio gone that end was loose. So it appears that it had gradually worked its way up out of the radio area and far enough up over the steering wheel that a loop of slack was hanging behind the clutch far enough that when i pushed the pedal down it was pinched against the stop plate... so i hope my issue was merely that i wasn't depressing the clutch far enough. Normally i would have noticed this because it wouldn't start, but i tend to use the clutch cancel switch, just cause i can.
We shall see in the next few days if it makes a difference.
Yes i removed the cable, well rerouted it above, rather than under, the clutch pedal. This would explain why the problem developed suddenly.
Heres to hoping.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:56 PM

At least you figured out what it was.