Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Grinding from flexplate

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grinding from flexplate

Okay guys, so I would like to start if by saying hello from Gods country in NC. I just replaced the engine in my dads 87 pickup (2bl unfortunately) an it seems something is not quite right with the starter or flexplate. It is almost as if the starter is staying engaged even when it is idling. I have verified that the old starter is engaging and retracting properly via a bench test and a completely new starter as well. I know 100% that the starter and flexplate are the culprit due to removing the starter completely while running (unsafe idea my master tec taught me that worked lol). The engine is a brand new reman engine and there was no issue beforehand. Also I have searched high and low for anyone who has had this experience and have found 1 person with this issue but had never been replied from. This is literally my experience minus the starter being ground down from making contact with the flexplate. This isn't my first engine swap done but it is my first for a 22r. Any guidance would be greatly welcomed!

His username "toyaholic"
i just finished rebuilding my 22re on my 89 4runner and now the same starter and the same flywheel are grinding. i am having to shim the starter out over a quarter inch to avoid this. something is very wrong. the last flange of aluminum that sits in the hole in the dust cover is getting ground down and the starter gear is staying engaged if i don't shim it.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:12 PM

Received 91 Likes on 71 Posts
You said flex plate so I'm assuming automatic?

Is it possible to put the flex plate on backwards? Was there a sheet metal spacer?

I vaguely remember my wife's 86 4Runner with an auto. Had to replace the flex plate because it cracked. I don't remember if it had an offset that would screw you up if put on backwards. I thought there was a thin shim plate too.

So you just swapped in a new engine and used the same flex plate as before? It was OK before the swap?
Old 07-18-2013, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by aztoyman
You said flex plate so I'm assuming automatic?

Is it possible to put the flex plate on backwards? Was there a sheet metal spacer?

I vaguely remember my wife's 86 4Runner with an auto. Had to replace the flex plate because it cracked. I don't remember if it had an offset that would screw you up if put on backwards. I thought there was a thin shim plate too.

So you just swapped in a new engine and used the same flex plate as before? It was OK before the swap?
Correct, there never was an issue. If I recall correctly in order to install it backwards "properly" wouldn't the plate then actually hit the block? I feel it is in properly and the spacer also in properly. Yea it is an auto and it is crank, flexplate, then the disc/spacer that evenly spreads torque across the flexplate correct? If I did it backwards shoot me now, but I'm 99.9% sure that is how it came off. Thanks for the help though. After adding another shim to a total of 1/4 in I have no issues but what is my real problem and drive ability issues does this pose.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:54 PM

Received 91 Likes on 71 Posts
Did your torque converter bolt up ok? Seated all the way? I thought the spacer went between the crank and flex plate but, it's been years since I worked on the auto so I'm not sure.

I don't know what else it could be but, I have never had to shim a Toyota starter.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:10 PM

I know with manuals you can bolt up the flywheel backwards and if you arent paying close attention you wont find out till it grinds on start up.