86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Steering wheel wobbles and shakes.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering wheel wobbles and shakes.

This is on an 86' 4runner with 33" tires, 204k miles. Pretty recently my steering wheel will wobble and shake, usually on deceleration. I just got done jacking up both sides of the truck and wiggled the tires forward and back with my hands at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions and have more play than I prefer. I think it may have to do with worn hub bushings? Both sides wobbled but the tires spun freely with no noises and no rough spots so I don't think it's the wheel bearings. Any ideas?
Old 12-13-2006, 11:03 PM

The deceleration vibration problem was caused by loose driveshaft bolts. However, I still have a wobble in the steering wheel on the highway and goes away when I apply the brakes or slow down. Maybe ball joints?
Old 12-13-2006, 11:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
mine does it all the time and i hate it cant figure it out .... have you had the wheels balanced
Old 12-13-2006, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by ToyYoda
wiggled the tires forward and back with my hands at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions and have more play than I prefer.
Play at 12 and 6 usually means it's time to repack your wheel bearings. Was it kind of a loose feeling (kinda like your lug nuts were loose)? If so, it is the bearings. As for your wobble, it sounds like unbalanced or improperly inflated front tires. An upgraded steering stabilizer will help reduce future wobbles (especially with your 33s). Pro-comp makes a direct bolt-on replacement.

Ball joints are another possibility. You can not detect play in your ball joints by simply shaking the tire with your hand. You'll need to jack it up, stick a metal bar under the tire and pry it up while someone watches the BJ from the front for movement.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:39 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ToyYoda
This is on an 86' 4runner with 33" tires, 204k miles. Pretty recently my steering wheel will wobble and shake, usually on deceleration. I just got done jacking up both sides of the truck and wiggled the tires forward and back with my hands at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions and have more play than I prefer. I think it may have to do with worn hub bushings? Both sides wobbled but the tires spun freely with no noises and no rough spots so I don't think it's the wheel bearings. Any ideas?
You need to take care of those bearings right now. I failed to listen and observe the warning signs on an older 4Runner I had, and destroyed the bearings in one hub. At this point, because you have been driving around on them, I would pull the wheel and the hub, and repack both bearings. You may consider replaceing the bearings. You will need to get a new seal for the back of the hub (any parts store), and repack the bearings. When you put it all back together, be sure to follow the manual and torque it down properly. Another thing, you should get a new tab washer (don't know the official name of it) so when you put the spindle bolts back on, you will have a tabs to help keep the spindle bolts in place. You should really get this taken care of as soon as you can, no fun loosing a wheel on the road.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:16 PM

The owner before me has a flat spot on one of the back tires that used to be on the front from a wheel bearing freezing up on him. I'll get everything I need tomorrow and check the ball joints while I'm replacing the bearings. Thanks!
Old 12-14-2006, 03:29 PM

bearings are kind of fun once you know how to do them.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:45 PM

mine used to have a crapload of play! fixed that with a Old Man Emu Steering Stabilizer and no more play!!!
Old 12-14-2006, 10:16 PM

The play was also fixed by replacing the pitman arm.