Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

steering spindle/knuckle replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steering spindle/knuckle replacement

In the midst of a caliper swap on my 1988 4runner - 22re. Lower caliper mounting bolt on the driver side wasn't going anywhere. Soaked the threads for a few days with kroil/WD-40, tried impact (manual, not pneumatic), broke a few sockets and a wrench, finally drilled through most of the bolt, rapped on the caliper half a few times (I split the caliper apart to remove the rotor so I could get at the bolt end with my kroil and then the drill.)

Drilled a centered hole, opened it up a way, tried a variety of EZ outs to still no avail. Drilled some more and grabbed a tap to try to open it up to the correct thread. No go. Dulled my tap and the pilot drill bit.

So I threw in the towel and found a used spindle on eBay for relatively cheap, JUST IN CASE I can't clean out the original caliper mounting hole. Assuming the worst, I'm planning on having to replace the entire spindle/knuckle. Looking at the FSM, it doesn't look like too horrible a job. I've got repacked and decent bearings going in, I'm hoping to not have to replace the spindle bushings (don't know if the eBay spindle will come with them installed), and the replacement comes with the knuckle arm already too.

Will this be a relatively straight forward change-out? Anything I should replace while this stuff is apart? As of right now, my CV boots are holding tight and I haven't noticed any issues aside from my lack of steering-stop covers (and subsequent grind/howl/click when at full lock.)

Is there a dust or oil seal that I've overlooked and will need to change out?

Thanks!

-Chris
Old 03-31-2011, 04:00 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
There is a seal on the back/inside of the hub which seals the inner wheel bearing. It seals against the spindle. I think I picked up those for less than $10.

There's also a seal on the inside of the knuckle that interfaces with the dust seal of the outer CV joint. Cross your fingers and hope it's ok, because I don't think Toyota sells it anymore. They updated the design, but in order to install it you have to get a $25 seal for the CV joint too. The sealing action is a little different and it seems improved. This thread should help you figure this out:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...rt-earn-96581/
Old 03-31-2011, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RustBucket
There is a seal on the back/inside of the hub which seals the inner wheel bearing. It seals against the spindle. I think I picked up those for less than $10.
Any idea what this is called? On O'Reilly's site, I can't seem to find this item as described. Unfortunately, the big "O" is the only thing close to me... I'm searching all of there categories: steering, brakes, suspension

Or, perhaps you could confirm if it looks anything like this...

Simply called an "oil seal", not really a description of placement. I've yet to yank my old knuckle off to compare dimension, but I'm thinking this could be right.

Last edited by babyfood1217; 03-31-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:39 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Pretty sure that's the wheel bearing seal, or "wheel seal". You would pop that off if you wanted to pull the inner wheel bearing out. Looks like it is part number 710092 for a lot of companies like SKF, Timken, Precision, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Auto...ar=1&carId=001