Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Identify a replacement part & earn $

Old 10-06-2006, 10:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Identify a replacement part & earn $

While going through my front suspension and drivetrain, I could not find a replacement part for one item. In the FSM it's called a "dust deferector(sic)" that is squeezed (rubber inner, so not pressed) into the inner side of the steering knuckle. It mates with the "dust cover" (PN was 90304-76001, now 90304-76005) that is on the outer case of the CV shaft. It holds the grease into the brass knuckle bushing.

I looked in the EPC and found the above noted dust cover part number listed for the outer end of the CV shaft, but PN 90316-60001 is shown as going on the back side of the knuckle, is the correct shape in the drawing and is described as "Seal, oil, for steering knuckle". However when I search for it on any of the online toyota parts sites, all I get is the above listed 90304-76005 as a replacement. That is NOT it. I did get the -7005 and installed it on my CV shafts.

I went to the local dealership to see if they could find it, to no avail.

Unfortunately, the way that 90304-76001 is shaped is a little different than the way that its replacement, 90304-76005, is shaped. The original has a flat lip around the outside, while the replacement has a bent-over lip. Thus I had to grind off a lip around the outside of 90316-60001 so it could fit inside -76005.

Here's 90316-60001. You can see the lip (about 2mm) I had to grind down around the very outside edge:

Here are the markings on it:

The first person who posts up the correct replacement part number will get $10 sent to their PayPal account
. :bigclap:

Last edited by 86Original; 10-06-2006 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:57 PM
Banned

I'm guessing the part was discontinuted and the new number was the replacement.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:43 AM

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...Id=400&CatId=7

Last edited by CyMoN; 10-07-2006 at 12:52 AM.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks like a rear oil seal
Old 10-07-2006, 05:36 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
This is for you 86 4Runner front axle? I just rebuilt the front axle of my 87 4Runner using all aftermarket (Trail Gear) seals/bearings/gaskets and they work just fine. From your somewhat confusing description and picture THAT looks to me to be an inner wheel bearing seal that you can get at any dealership or aftermarket parts place that sells Toyota parts. It goes on top of the inner wheel bearing on the backside of the wheel hub. I think you are building a mountain out of a mole hill concerning wanting the "old" part/seal. They usually UPGRADE for a reason.

I don't think it is the oil seal that presses into the end of the axle housing once your remove the CV (from your description) but I could be wrong...it has happened a few times before. It is also too big compared to the size of his fingers to be the oil seal in the end of the axle.

I don't see what the problem is with just getting the new seal with the new part number.

You can get them in a wheel bearing kit from Trail Gear as the bearings/seals for the IFS and the SFA are the same.

http://www.trail-gear.com/knuckle.html

Where's my $10?

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 10-07-2006 at 05:47 AM.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:09 PM
Contributing Member

Sorry, no winners yet; more info

How does this help me? I'm giving very specific part numbers and you give me a general link to steering at NAPA. c'mon:pat:

Originally Posted by Localmotion
I'm guessing the part was discontinuted and the new number was the replacement.
Yes, it was discontinued, but as I stated, the number that the Toy dealers have listed to replace it are for its mate (I already have it, -76005) and not for the one I'm asking about.

Originally Posted by tom renzoni
looks like a rear oil seal
:pat: Front, steering knuckle dust cover!

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
This is for you 86 4Runner front axle? I just rebuilt the front axle of my 87 4Runner using all aftermarket (Trail Gear) seals/bearings/gaskets and they work just fine. From your somewhat confusing description and picture THAT looks to me to be an inner wheel bearing seal that you can get at any dealership or aftermarket parts place that sells Toyota parts. It goes on top of the inner wheel bearing on the backside of the wheel hub. I think you are building a mountain out of a mole hill concerning wanting the "old" part/seal. They usually UPGRADE for a reason.

I don't think it is the oil seal that presses into the end of the axle housing once your remove the CV (from your description) but I could be wrong...it has happened a few times before. It is also too big compared to the size of his fingers to be the oil seal in the end of the axle.

I don't see what the problem is with just getting the new seal with the new part number.

You can get them in a wheel bearing kit from Trail Gear as the bearings/seals for the IFS and the SFA are the same.

http://www.trail-gear.com/knuckle.html

Where's my $10?

As I said, I've looked in many places for it. It's not a wheel bearing seal. That would be 90311-66003, which I also replaced. It is nowhere close to the wheel bearing. If it was that simple to find, I wouldn't be offering a reward. As I said, it is next to the brass knuckle inner bushing, PN 90999-70069, now 90381-30006.

The seal you refer to is circled below in red. (Blue circles denote all of the parts I just replaced.)

The part I'm looking for is below, circled in red:

And it mates with the part that is circled in red below. This is the same part that is listed as the replacement for the above circled red part. As you can see that can't be correct, which I know because I have all of the parts circled below.

Last edited by 86Original; 10-07-2006 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:13 PM
Contributing Member

Does that clarify enough? If you read my sig, and do the math, you'll see that I've been maintaining this vehicle for a while. You can also see that I've done a little research, before posting up a new thread.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:36 PM
Contributing Member

If this part fits a '90, then I may have found it on ToyotaPartSales. If they are not interchangeable, then I'm still looking.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:50 PM

well it looks like a brake dust boot to me
Old 10-08-2006, 09:00 PM
Contributing Member

Photo of it installed

Here's a photo of the old one still in the knuckle. Unfortunately, don't have the digicam, so have to get by with just the phone:

You can see the top of the lower ball joint on the bottom, and the caliper on the left. You can see the bushing reflecting brass color behind it, partially covered in grease. This is the drivers side.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:18 PM
Contributing Member

I can appreciate your frustration and understand the confusion. I ran into this exact same delima when I changed the spindle bushings for spindle bearings in my truck. The part you are looking for is now called "Hub Seal" (yea I know, stupid but that's what they call it). I looked through my records but couldn't find the PN. I *CAN* however get it for you tomorrow. Heck if you want I could get every thing you need using my discount at Burt on Broadway (I live in south Denver Metro). Probably would be cheaper than anywhere on line and could get them to you some time this week as I have to make a run up to Boulder and Erie. PM me and I'll give you my cell. I'll get you the numbers or the parts you need.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:00 AM
Contributing Member

Hi Jake,

Thank you for your offer. There's no big rush. It's put back together and on the road at the moment. It's just one of those preventative maintenance things I was doing. Had hoped to do it all at once, but Murphy's been working overtime on this one. Had the CV shaft out last night to pull the upper ball joint that had been backordered when I did all of the other replacements. I just wanted to figure it out while I have all of the information gathered up.

Just got a call from ToyotaPartSales.com. Looks like the -60002 is superceded by two part numbers: -60004 and -76005(which is incorrect). They'll ship me the -60004 and we'll see if its the right one.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:59 PM
Contributing Member

OK, I back tracked through the same steps we used to identify the correct part #'s that I used for my truck.

The confusion revolves around the fact that there are 2 TSB's for the spindle bushing for 86 to 95 trucks and 'Runners. The 1st upgrades the bronze bushing to a larger one, the 2nd replaces the bushing with a bearing on trucks with ADD. With each TSB came a new and improves seal kit. The new seal kit eventually supercedes the old part #'s.

At this point there is only one part number for the Hub Seal (the one that goes in the back side of the knuckle) and if you replace his seal you need to replace the seal on the CV. in order for them to mate. It's worth doing, though, as I found out on mine the new set is 2 inter locking seals which goes a long way in keeping crud out of the new spindle bearings. The old set was more of a dust deflector.

Any way the part #'s for the seal set are, 90304-76005 for the hub seal and 90316-60004 for the CV seal. Guaranteed to work together, that's what I'm running.

I went ahead and order a set, they will be here Wed. I can let you have them at my cost, if you want. If not no biggie.

Last edited by Jake94; 10-09-2006 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:58 PM
Contributing Member

Well, Jake, you were correct! It is the right one. I just got the set that TPS.com shipped to me. Mystery solved.

PM your PayPal account email & I'll get the ten-spot sent to you!

Thanks!!
Old 08-17-2007, 04:59 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Ha-ha, that'll teach me to look EVERYWHERE ELSE first, then YT. I could not find anything ANYWHERE relating to these seals and mine are SHOT. Dealer/OEM ONLY parts, I guess?

Anywho, thanks guys, hell of a thread.

Now what's this about larger bronze bushings or spindle bearings? That sounds tasty. Could I get some of that too? More research....

Last edited by MudHippy; 08-17-2007 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
subscribe

I remember when the front knuckle bearing TSB came out.
This was pre WWW with photos (we're talkin list serve text BBs back then) and I never followed up on it.

I would love to see pics... tho these days I have at least one if not TWO sets of spare IFS spindles and at least 1 spare new bronze busing for the outer side...(thanks to SAS!)
Old 10-07-2008, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by 86Original
As I said, it is next to the brass knuckle inner bushing, PN 90999-70069, now 90381-30006.
Right.
Originally Posted by Jake94
The confusion revolves around the fact that there are 2 TSB's for the spindle bushing for 86 to 95 trucks and 'Runners. The 1st upgrades the bronze bushing to a larger one, the 2nd replaces the bushing with a bearing on trucks with ADD.
Correct.
Originally Posted by Jake94
Any way the part #'s for the seal set are, 90304-76005 for the hub seal and 90316-60004 for the CV seal.
Backwards. 90304-76005 for the CV seal and 90316-60004 for the hub seal.
Originally Posted by MudHippy
Now what's this about larger bronze bushings or spindle bearings? That sounds tasty. Could I get some of that too? More research....
O.k., so I finally get around to ordering all the seals and some of those upgraded bronze spindle bushings. The part # for the larger bushings is 90381-30006 (verified) and I paid $10.91 + ship a piece from http://1sttoyotaparts.com.

They look mighty nice!

Now see how long it takes me to thoroughly trash 'em!

Last edited by MudHippy; 01-27-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:19 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Hey guys, I apologize for bringing this thread up from the dead but the info in here is GREAT.

I did my wheel bearing and seals yesterday and in pumping new grease into the spindle bushings (with my excellent new PVC greasermajiggy) I ended up blowing one of the inner knuckle seals. Reading this thread indicates that I need to replace this seal with an upgraded one AND the seals on my CV axles so that they interface correctly.

My plan right now is to get the new seals ("90304-76005 for the hub seal and 90316-60004 for the CV seal") and I figured I might as well upgrade to the new inner brass bushing (90381-30006) while I'm at it. The outer bushing looks pretty good to me.

For those of you who have done this job: have all of these parts worked properly? Any issues I should be aware of? Thanks ya'll!
Old 11-21-2010, 02:05 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Just an interesting bit of trivia - I punched out the old inner brass bushing (the big one) and the new one is 7mm longer. The old one has a shank of 21mm and this one is 28mm. That was the "upgrade."
Old 11-22-2010, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by RustBucket
For those of you who have done this job: have all of these parts worked properly? Any issues I should be aware of? Thanks ya'll!
YES! As a matter of fact, there WAS 1 issue I came across while trying to install the hub seals. The original hub seals on my 88 were a 2-piece type. And I couldn't figure out why the hell the new seals weren't going to fit untill I discovered that. I needed to pop out the metal ring with the curved lip(and the inner portion/piece of the seal of course), to be able to fit the new seals in. It's also correct that you need to replace the seals on the CVs to get a proper sealing/mating with the newer hub seals. The older type don't quite match up with them.

I'm glad you brought this thread back and I was able to share that. It will no doubt save someone some hassle trying to figure it out on their own.

The newer inner bushings fit in there like they were meant to. And they were larger/longer than my old ones too. 7mm sounds about right. They were calling them T-100 parts at the time when I purchased them, which kinda explains the oversize factor.

I've had no issue come up since installing all those parts on mine.

Oh, and the outer bushings haven't changed/been upgraded. They're the same as they've always been. Part # for those is 90381-30003.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Identify a replacement part & earn $