86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Steering recall and alignment.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering recall and alignment.

So I had the steering recall right after the notice came to me (a year ago?) After I took my snow tire off I noticed my regular tires are wearing on the inside tread. Would this be consistent with the stealership not re-aligning after the work was done?
Old 04-24-2008, 11:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
From what you are saying, It seems your camber is out/ tires are leaning in.

My dealer told me they don't align the trucks after they do the relay rod recall so I can't help you on that. But if they did do an alignment, it wouldve been a toe alignmint. So no, other factors of your alignment are out, go get one done.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:42 AM

I feel you pain. I took my truck in to B--k Toyota for the recall and my steering wheel was cocked to the right. They (the service manager & cronies) said the ball joint replacement had no bearing on the alignment of the wheels and that I had caused it... What a turd! The truck was 3 years old @ the time with 27,000 miles on it. Well in a few weeks when we go to get my Wifes new Scion XB it will be from a differant dealer. I will not go to this dealer for parts any more.

BTW I just got an alignment (4 wheel) at a Fire Stone shop for $74.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am pretty sure there is nothing to align on the rear of a solid rear axle vehicle.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:20 PM

My alignment is totally jacked after the recall. They set the toe and left the camber looking like the rear of a hotrod VW.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:29 PM
Contributing Member

I took my Runner back 3 times to be realigned after my recall and that was after they held it hostage for 2 days till I paid to replace the tie rod assemblies. I finally took it to a place downtown and found the documentation that said the tie rods were covered under the recall. They ended up paying for all of it including my downtown alignment in the end after a month of battle and a formal complaint with Toyota. After all that I hacked it all off with a torch for my SAS 8 months later
Old 04-24-2008, 02:51 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by UKMyers
I finally took it to a place downtown and found the documentation that said the tie rods were covered under the recall. They ended up paying for all of it including my downtown alignment in the end after a month of battle and a formal complaint with Toyota.
x2 - almost exactly the same here.

Actually, I went somewhere else, faxed the alignment printout that showed it was out and the dealership cut me a check IMMEDIATELY. Had to go through Toyota to get the tie rods, pitman arm, and idler arm paid for.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:59 PM

My roommate goes to school for auto technician and one of the guys that comes to help out is a Yota tech from our local dealer. My roomie was talkin to him about me doin the recal soon (after a full front end overhaul is done- bearings, bushings and ball joints). The tech said they usually can't align the vehicle correctly because the lower control arm cams are usually frozen up. Maybe thats why some of the trucks never get aligned right? Just an idea. The tech also said if they can't adjust the tie rod ends, new ones are installed and are included in the recall.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by UKMyers
I took my Runner back 3 times to be realigned after my recall and that was after they held it hostage for 2 days till I paid to replace the tie rod assemblies. I finally took it to a place downtown and found the documentation that said the tie rods were covered under the recall. They ended up paying for all of it including my downtown alignment in the end after a month of battle and a formal complaint with Toyota. After all that I hacked it all off with a torch for my SAS 8 months later

Can you still tell me where to find that documentation saying the tie rods are to be replaced under the recall? I just set up an appointment with my local Toyota dealership, and they said they will replace the linkage and do an alignment afterwards because the pitman arm and idler arm are disassembled. I am taking in a new pitman and idler to have installed all at the same time, and would love to have my tie rods done as well.

The only thing I've read on it didn't mention the tie rods at all.

Last edited by devldogs55; 04-24-2008 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:26 PM

x2 on that documentation I go in on the 3rd to have it done. I want to come prepared
Old 04-24-2008, 05:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine was aligned last year as part of the relay rod recall.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:23 PM

so what is the recall exactly?

I've had a 94 for about 2-3 weeks and have no idea if it was done. When I had it up on a lift before I bought it I notices a good deal of play in the steering (wheels moved back and forth pretty good) and the pitman arms (i think thats what they're called...that's what they are on the rigs at work anyway) seemed warn out and loose.

does this have any relevance to the recall???/

sorry---not trying to hijack the post
Old 04-24-2008, 08:54 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
See the sticky thread at the top for WAY more info
Old 04-25-2008, 06:42 AM

the relay rod recall replaces a SOLID metal bar in your steering system... if your alignment was fine before the recall, or if your bar was not damaged, bent, stretched, etc, then your alignment will be fine after the recall work is done...

the new relay rod is the exact same legnth from one tie rod hole to the other ends tie rod hole, and will not cause your alignment to change...

balljoints should not cause your alignment to change either.... however, if you have had your vehicle aligned with worn or bad balljoints, and then you replace them, then i can see potential alignment issues...
Old 04-25-2008, 01:10 PM

Thanks for the reponses. I got hit two nights ago in my drivers side fender, I don't think the other truck hit my wheel but I'm taking it in just in case. A thrust alignment here runs approx. $50. A lot less than the body work will be.