86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Steering and Linkages IFS with Torsion Bars 1986-1995

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 10:07 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Steering and Linkages IFS with Torsion Bars 1986-1995

Hi guys, this could be a good inclusive thread for category: "Steering and Linkages for IFS with Torsion Bars 1986-1995"?
I checked steering linkages for play. Here are the videos. Would appreciate your second opinions (second set of eyes).

CHECKING PITMAN ARM:
Right wheel is on ground, Left Wheel is off the ground. I'm trying to turn left wheel by grabbing it at 3 and 9 O'Clock positions. I see play at the knuckle / ball-joint? (most noticeable by looking below the rubber boot).

CHECKING IDLER ARM:
Left wheel on ground, right wheel off the ground. Trying to turn wheel with hands at 3 and 9 O'Clock positions.
I see no play from bushing, only at the elbow/ball-joint as shown.
Is that considerable play at the knuckle (most noticeable below the rubber boot)?

LEFT TIE-ROD END:
Right wheel on ground, left wheel off the ground. Trying to turn left wheel with hands at 3 and 9 O'Clock positions. I do not see play.

RIGHT TIE-ROD END:
Left wheel on ground, right wheel off the ground. Trying to turn left wheel with hands at 3 and 9 O'Clock positions. I do not see play.

Yes, I'm aware of the posts about replacing idler arm bushings but I do not see play on the bushings. The knuckleS are not replaceable, are they?

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 08-16-2017 at 06:15 AM.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
There is no reason to replace knuckles. All steering parts are attached with balljoints or rod-ends.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by dark_fairytales
There is no reason to replace knuckles. All steering parts are attached with balljoints or rod-ends.
Thanks! Was wondering if the ends / arms were rebuildable... Because Toyota Parts Deal webpage shows a pitman arm WITHOUT the knuckle...
Old 08-15-2017, 08:54 PM

Thanks, guys!

Toyota Parts Deal came back with me with answer to my parts question about pitman arm...
'...correct pitman arm is part# 45401-35220.."

here it is on TPD's website...

Now my main question is: Do you think the play observed above at knuckle / ball-joint of idler arm and the pitman are are normal, or do they mean I need to those parts replace soon?

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 08-15-2017 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow that's expensive for a pitman arm. I got a whole balljoint/inner+outter tie rod/idlearm/pitman arm kit for less than that haha
Old 08-15-2017, 09:44 PM

Wow that's expensive for a pitman arm. I got a whole balljoint/inner+outter tie rod/idlearm/pitman arm kit for less than that haha
Old 08-15-2017, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by mattyboi
That's OEM from Toyota Parts Deal. May we know where you got your great deal?
Did you observe any play like I observed above before you replaced yours?
Do you think the play I observed at knuckle / ball-joint of idler arm and the pitman are are normal, or do they mean I need to those parts replace soon? TIA

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 08-15-2017 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
That's OEM from Toyota Parts Deal. May we know where you got your great deal?
Did you observe any play like I observed above before you replaced yours?
Do you think the play I observed at knuckle / ball-joint of idler arm and the pitman are are normal, or do they mean I need to those parts replace soon? TIA
Just some cheap ebay parts that I was curious to try. Here in Canada part prices are marked up way more than they are in the US. And I do more easy cruising than crawlin' so they should be fine for my use. So far it has really tightened up my suspension.

Last edited by mattyboi; 08-15-2017 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by mattyboi
Just some cheap ebay parts that I was curious to try. Here in Canada part prices are marked up way more than they are in the US. And I do more easy cruising than crawlin' so they should be fine for my use. So far it has really tightened up my suspension.
Good to know, Mattyboi. I don't plan to do crawling, either, but prefer to use OEM for critical parts. (Happy to use $20 window regulator and similar items, though - LOL!)

Thanks a lot!
Old 08-16-2017, 03:39 AM

Received 833 Likes on 558 Posts
Rad, it's more difficult to judge with video than in person but i would not say that your stuff looks loose with the possible exception of the idler arm but you are only showing half of it. My idler was much worse and one reason my truck failed the first state inspection. Also, i find it easier to have another person rock the steering back and forth with the wheels on the ground and truck running to observe play in the tie rod ends. If you turn fully to each side you can bounce it off the limit. Did you check ball joints while you were down there also?

Last edited by Melrose 4r; 08-16-2017 at 03:40 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Melrose 4r
Rad, it's more difficult to judge with video than in person but i would not say that your stuff looks loose with the possible exception of the idler arm but you are only showing half of it. My idler was much worse and one reason my truck failed the first state inspection. Also, i find it easier to have another person rock the steering back and forth with the wheels on the ground and truck running to observe play in the tie rod ends. If you turn fully to each side you can bounce it off the limit.
No assistant so I had to look at individual components that could have play with respect to others by keeping one wheel still while forcing the other to turn. (hence the videos above)
Solid links are all good. Steering while driving is tight. But again I wanted to look at each component that could have play:
1) Idler arm
2) Pitman arm
3) Tie-rod ends left and right.

Did you check ball joints while you were down there also?
Yes I did, (here). Driver side has play and grease boot is leaking so I already have OEM replacement from Toyota Parts Deal.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 08-20-2017 at 05:25 AM.