86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

StealerShip = MORE Problems + some ranting

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
StealerShip = MORE Problems + some ranting

so i took my runner in for the 50n recall and it had a power loss issue that i have brought up on this forum before so i thought i would have them look in to it.
What a mistake. i dropped it off wed. right before they closed (only time i could get there) so they gave me a loner car and told me they would call me in the morning.
2:00 rolls around and i have not heard for them, so i call them and they inform me that there is not problem with how it runs.
Compleat BS so they wanted me to come out there (30min Drive south) and drive it so they can see what it is doing. and the best part is i'm told they will have only Friday morning.
ok so this morning i got there at 8:20 am and looked at my truck before talking to them, the first thing i notice is the bash plate on the front is held on with zip ties and one bolt. The steering rod was replaced at least. so i talk to the shop manager and the mechanic and they start listing problems with the truck {i love this part} as the mechanic put it "well the starters bad, it wont idle, all your vacuum hoses are clasped, and you have over sized tires" then he told me they had to push it out of the shop b/c it won't start. so i get in to drive it and show the mechanic the problem it starts right up just like it always does and take it for a drive showing him exactly what it's doing. he tells me i have a leaky injector so there testing the fuel system now and are going to get back to me.
i'll post more later
Tom
Old 05-18-2007, 11:44 AM
Contributing Member

and what exactly did oversized tires have to do with it?
Old 05-18-2007, 12:00 PM

if your starter was bad, howd they know how it idled lol
Old 05-18-2007, 12:08 PM
Contributing Member

sounds awfully phishy....
Old 05-18-2007, 12:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco
and what exactly did oversized tires have to do with it?
It makes the short mechanics feel inadequate because they can't reach over the fenders
Old 05-18-2007, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by eric-the-red
It makes the short mechanics feel inadequate because they can't reach over the fenders
Hey now... We just get tired of havin to go fetch the stool!
Old 05-18-2007, 05:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like there looking to rip you off , if they can get away with it
Old 05-18-2007, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Robrt32
Sounds like there looking to rip you off , if they can get away with it

Yeah. Fork them. Fix it yourself

Can`t fix it yerfself? Learn...
Old 05-19-2007, 03:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
They said oversize tires because they always make these trucks feel underpowered (effectively giving you a taller gearing).

BEWARE OF DEALER. I've not had good experiences with dealer maintenance.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:17 AM

they finally got back to me last night and told me there not sure what the problem is so i need new plugs, wires, rotor and cap for $375 then they want to clean the injectors for $150 but they think after that i will have to replace all of the injectors for a additional $800
Old 05-19-2007, 06:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I went in to my stealer last week to make an appointment to get mine done too and ended up walking out.

I asked if they would cover the tie rods too if they were worn and she said not only would they not cover them but they would make me sign a form saying that if anything else needed replacing and I didn't pay them to do it they would refuse to do the work at all. I mentioned that people all over the country were getting tie rods and idlers and she simply said "not here."

She also commented that since I had oversized tires that it would cause even bigger problems to which I just told her they had only been on about a month so that was bs. I told her I'd check with a few other dealers before i committed to anything...

Btw, in case anyone wants to know, Deluca Toyota in Ocala, FL...
Old 05-19-2007, 06:20 AM

i'm picking the truck up in 2 hours or so having no work done F them and there little 2007 corolla is covered in mud, bird droppings and gravel dust i'll post pic's later.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
... Deluca Toyota in Ocala, FL...

Atta boys in Florida! Why would they give out free stuff if they can sell it...

This is an American way.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by gametom
i'm picking the truck up in 2 hours or so having no work done F them and there little 2007 corolla is covered in mud, bird droppings and gravel dust i'll post pic's later.

Well, I presume they can afford automatic car wash bay with all the money they make changing relay rods on yer antiques .
Old 05-19-2007, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by gametom
good job
Old 05-19-2007, 03:11 PM

Gametom indeed take your precious Yota and run.

I have never taken my Yota's to a dealer.

My sister took her 2001 4runner to the dealer to get the outer tie rods placed per recall. Four visits later there's more slack in the steering then ever before.

Dealer blames the tires. I blame the dealer after measuring the outer tie rod adjustments. After a little tweak the 4runner works fine.

I used to work at a Toyota Dealer in Oregon. They have been out of business for years. One reason, they lie. Like a politician on voting day.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by amusement
.... They have been out of business for years. One reason, they lie....

Nah,.... theres just no money in Oregon. People are poor as church mouse, how they can afford strangers to work on their vehicles? What are week ends for?
Old 05-19-2007, 03:26 PM

I have tried my best to stay away from the dealer. I have yet to have any really big work done needed and have managed it all myself. Hopefully i can learn how to do the big work before something big breaks.

But anyways. What recall is that you are talking about amusement? I didn't know there was something that was on recall for a 3rd gen 4runner. I read some stuff about 2nd gens and stuff though.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:06 PM

it was the steering relay rod recall
Old 05-21-2007, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by chadbobb
I have tried my best to stay away from the dealer. I have yet to have any really big work done needed and have managed it all myself. Hopefully i can learn how to do the big work before something big breaks.
Well, if you haven't learned when the time comes or you just don't have time (my issue) or whatever, for God's sake don't take it to the stealership! A few are good for sure, but they seem to be really bad on the whole. Take it to an independent shop.

When I tell people that they often say "I'm afraid I'll get ripped off at an independent shop". Bah - at the stealership you KNOW they're going to try to rip you off. Anywhere else there's at least a chance you won't. Independent shops stay in business by getting repeat customers. If a shop has been in business for a long time (the shop I go to has been in business for 20 years) they're generally treating folks right.

When I had my recall done, I decided to drop a c-note and have them troubleshoot my rear window (me and power windows don't get along!). They came back offering to fix it for $1800! It was genuinely f-d up, but my shop (Hi-Tech Automotive in Lakewood) ran down used parts for me and did it for $500.

C

Last edited by GV27; 05-21-2007 at 06:34 AM.

Quick Reply: StealerShip = MORE Problems + some ranting