86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

starting problems after fire.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
starting problems after fire.

Sorry if this belongs in the newbie section...
The truck is an 88 pickup, 22RE, 4X4, with A/C.

the truck will not start.... With starting fluid, she starts. this is what happened...

after replacing the fuel pump, there was a leak at the fuel rail. that led to a pretty bad engine fire. everything within a few feet was toast.

I replaced the entire intake/EFI set-up with one from a running truck. replaced all under hood wiring. swapped all lines vacuum, fuel, coolant etc,replaced air flow meter. what i thought was everything. Now the truck just turns over, but wont start. As of now i am not sure where to begin. the fuse panel has no bad fuses, theres no wires that look damaged, but i do not think the fuel pump is turning on.

any ideas what i may have missed? are there some wires that are tucked away that run to the pump? how can i test the pump using a test light? any help or suggestions would be appreciated. any ideas?

for what its worth, all major fuel lines, coolant etc are correctly routed, vacuum lines.... not 100% sure, my intention was to get it running, then get it running good. not sure if that matters, but if i knew everything, the truck would be running haha
Old 04-09-2008, 03:18 PM

So here's generally what I go through when I have an engine that won't start. Since yours starts with starter fluid, it probably isn't ignition or timing, but good to check anyway.

- - - - -
Fuel:

When you click the ignition over to 2 (position right before you start it) you should be able to hear the fuel pump priming the lines for a few seconds.

If you hear it, that's good, not the fuel pump.

Next try cranking it a few times. Take out a spark plug and look into the cylinder with a flashlight.

If you see/smell gas, that's good, not the injectors.

- - - - -
Ignition:

Pull out one of the spark plugs, reattach it to the spark plug wire. Hold the electrode against the cylinder head or part of the frame to ground it and have a friend crank the engine for you.

If you get spark, your ignition system works. You may want to try using that spark plug on each of the wires to make sure all of them work.

- - - - -
Vacuum:

Find a diagram and make sure its all connected right.

- - - - -
Timing:

Check your timing make sure its spot on. It can be hard to tell if its 180 degrees off on certain cars (I've done that before heh...takes awhile to realize sometimes).

- - - - -
Valve Lash:

If everything else works, you could just have a serious valve lash problem. Pop the valve cover and adjust the rockers.

Last edited by NicCantDecide; 04-09-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah you can try to short the fuel pump in the dis box under the hood to i cant remember how but if you look it up you'll see how
Old 04-10-2008, 07:44 AM

thanks for the advice from both of you, "niccantdecide" i have checked the spark, and its good. I now know for a fact the fuel pump is not working. I'm thinking it is probably in the wiring, as opposed to the timing or valves or even the pump, since the truck was running fine right until the fire. I have read something about using a wire to short the fuel pump as "justa22re" said, but honestly i didnt really understand it. do you guys know what the best way (and where to begin) to test the wires? i have a pdf of the service manual, so i almost know which wires are which lol.... just not how to use the test light to check em. would it be best to test them at the connectors (for the computer) inside the cab (on the passenger side? and i really have no idea which one should have power... any ideas?

one thing that may help... the heater fan does not come on anymore... everything else electrical works just fine.... just no heater fan or fuel pump. does this ring any bells?

Last edited by 2ktj; 04-10-2008 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:08 AM

chech the circuit opening relay under the dash behind the glove box, the heater fan replay is also behind the glove box the heater probably has a blowed fuse and the COR probably shorted out it runs the fuel pump and other thingd when ignition is on, also the fuel pump relay is under the dash buy the steering column check those to. good luck
Old 04-10-2008, 09:40 AM

ah-ha... i knew there had to be some kind of other place to look. im going to check that as soon as i get out of work. thanks for that tip....
Old 04-10-2008, 10:38 AM

Sounds like its just a wiring problem, if you have the factory service manual it has troubleshooting steps for every part of the electrical system.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:54 AM

the FSM is a bit over my head when it comes to the wiring part. but im gonna take another crack at it. i'll let you know what happens. im hoping it is just a relay under the dash, after that intake, i thought it would get a bit easier... i called that one wrong lol
Old 04-17-2008, 08:03 PM

im having the exact same problem right now. im getting fuel to the intake but no fuel is injecting. it's cranking over fine and i have a healthy spark.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by rhah
im having the exact same problem right now. im getting fuel to the intake but no fuel is injecting. it's cranking over fine and i have a healthy spark.
Is there gas in the cylinders after you crank it? If there really is no fuel injecting, trace all the injector wires back to the ECU. The FSM has troubleshooting for this also.

One thing I've noticed though, is that Toyota FSM's aren't quite as detailed as Honda FSM's...oh well, you can't have it all I guess.