Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Starter wont crank after transmission install

Old 02-07-2018, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter wont crank after transmission install

hey guys just bolted up the trans to my 90 runner 3.0 4x4. Everything is bolted and connected but went to go start it and the starter wont crank and it wont even make a sound. I got a new starter and still nothing. I know there is power going through the red wire to it and the battery is good all the lights turn on and off. I notice when i try to crank it the clock and the radio turn off but nothing else. Im at a loss and i need this thing running for this weekend. Any help is much appreciated thanks!
Old 02-07-2018, 03:41 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Powerslave2112
... i need this thing running for this weekend.
We also need to know exactly what you see, hear, feel, smell about the symptoms. Absolutely nothing? Also please see my signature.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:54 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Measure your battery voltage, both with everything off, and with key to start. If first is below 12.5, second below 11.9, assume the battery is not charged.

There is no RED wire in my EWD, so telling us you have power going through it doesn't tell us much. Do you have battery voltage to ground at the large bolt on the starter (stock Black wire)? Do you have battery voltage on the small solenoid wire (B-W) at the starter with key to start?

Why did you replace the starter?

HOW do you know the battery is "good"? (We're not very trusting here.;^)
Old 02-07-2018, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
Measure your battery voltage, both with everything off, and with key to start. If first is below 12.5, second below 11.9, assume the battery is not charged.

There is no RED wire in my EWD, so telling us you have power going through it doesn't tell us much. Do you have battery voltage to ground at the large bolt on the starter (stock Black wire)? Do you have battery voltage on the small solenoid wire (B-W) at the starter with key to start?

Why did you replace the starter?

HOW do you know the battery is "good"? (We're not very trusting here.;^)
i checked my battery at work (autozone) and it read good battery woth good voltage. I will take home the volt meter and check some things on my lunch. I will also take some pics to help explain better. I teseted my old starter and it was bad hence the reason i bought the new one. Thank you for the replies i should be back with some updates within the hour
Old 02-07-2018, 04:22 PM

... Do you have battery voltage to ground at the large bolt on the starter (stock Black wire)?
THICK CABLE FROM BATTERY BOLTED TO STARTER SOLENOID LOAD SUPPLY HERE:

Do you have battery voltage on the small solenoid wire (B-W) at the starter with key to start?
SMALL STARTER SOLENOID WIRE aka starter solenoid coil control input here:

See?
We pretend like we are right there with you. You should, too

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 02-07-2018 at 11:35 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Also please see my signature.
We live, and solve problems, by these holy words

Last edited by L5wolvesf; 02-07-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:04 PM

Thank you for the uploads. electronics are my downfall unfortunately. Here is the red cable i was talking about.

And here is a pic of my starter wich for some reason looks like it doesnt have one of those connections that yours does.

i connected the red cable onto the stud on the right of the starter in my pic and plugged the starter solenoid cable which is the grey plug on the right of the red cable in my first pic into the black connection on my second pic. i tried to use the volt meter on those connections but wouldn't give a solid reading it was just going wonky on me. that was all i hooked up. battery read 12.6 with no key then turned ignition on and it read 12.4
btw Rad your sig is VERY relevant to this situation lol

Last edited by Powerslave2112; 02-07-2018 at 05:06 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:10 PM

i checked my battery at work (autozone) and it read good battery woth good voltage.
Was that a load test?

I teseted my old starter and it was bad hence the reason i bought the new one.
What kind of test?

(We're not very trusting here.;^)
​​​​​​​Whaaat?
Old 02-07-2018, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by L5wolvesf
Was that a load test?
yes

What kind of test?
bench test

Whaaat?
for good reason to make noobs like me learn
Old 02-07-2018, 05:57 PM

just bolted up the trans to my 90 runner 3.0 4x4. Everything is bolted and connected
Did it start and run before you did the trans?
You absolutely, positively, 1000% sure Everything is bolted and connected?
Did you move or remove a ground strap?

FWIW, I have a tendency to not trust starter bench tests.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by L5wolvesf
Did it start and run before you did the trans?
You absolutely, positively, 1000% sure Everything is bolted and connected?
Did you move or remove a ground strap?

FWIW, I have a tendency to not trust starter bench tests.
yes it started before putting in the new one. Im 99% sure because im never sure about anything lol. I dont see anything that is not connected and ive been looking. Be honest with you i dont trust them that much either but thats all i could do to my knowledge.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:37 PM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
you should have a big wire and a little wire going to your starter, disconnect the little one, put a test light on it (ground one end and touch the connector with the other end) and have someone turn the ignition key switch to start, does the light come on?

Last edited by akwheeler; 02-07-2018 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:43 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Well first things first, you installed that starter wrong. It goes in the truck man not your belly button!!

First insure the plugs to the transmission are secure, they are right there near the starter..

You want to check voltage again. What does it read on the lug (the hoop part that gets attached to the starter) of the starter supply wire, now check on the stud sticking out of the starter (it should read the same). If you get a result that doesn't match what you get directly on the battery posts you have a loose connection.

Pretty sure RAD has or will cover checking the solenoid wire. If not it's probably in his Sig line..

PS, his solenoid wire is unplugged above making it look like a third connection.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:47 PM

Why are you trying to hide your starter? I thought you wanted us to see it. And why too small a picture? If it were bigger we can draw arrows, notes, etc to explain to you how and where to do things. (See my signature)

... I notice when i try to crank it the clock and the radio turn off but nothing else. Im at a loss and i need this thing running for this weekend.
THIS^^^ Sounds like bad battery or bad connections. All connections should be bare, shiny metal tightly against bare, shiny metal. Do it or or you waste your time guessing/suspecting
You swear, you hear, see, feel, smell anything?
And you should really indicate model-year-engine-TRANSMISSION-trim (see my signature).

.... I tested my old starter and it was bad hence the reason i bought the new one....
...yes it started before putting in the new one. Im 99% sure because im never sure about anything lol...
I'm 99% sure I could not believe either statements above - LOL!

Originally Posted by akwheeler
you should have a big wire and a little wire going to your starter, disconnect the little one, put a test light on it (ground one end and touch the connector with the other end) and have someone turn the ignition key switch to start, does the light come on?
Good test also, like Scope1-3 suggested above^^^.

Connections to the starter are above... (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116.../#post52389911)

The whole starter assembly also gets ground through the block from thick cable that goes from battery negative to somewhere on the block. (On the 22REliable, it goes on bottom-front-right corner of the block.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 02-07-2018 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:48 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Why was the transmission removed??

Was the same one installed ??

Same plug but different pinouts or corroded pins causing neutral safety switch issues

Poor quality rebuild??
Old 02-08-2018, 07:02 AM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
Troubleshooting A problem like this with the starter not cranking can lead down some interesting paths. We can describe the engineering of the whole system, issues we have seen in the past etc. or we can start with a step by step method of troubleshooting. Like
#1 you just did tranny work does your motor still turn over if you put a wrench on the crank pulley? If you hear no noise whatsoever when trying to crank the motor this isn't likely to be your issue.
#2 check battery voltage, you have some good... we can discuss load and battery charge if you like or move on to narrow down our possibilities.
#3 check the crank signal at the starter when the key is turned, no voltage leads us to circuit testing/switches/connectors left unplugged, voltage leads to ground/positive cable/battery load or voltage issues.

I haven't seen here where you tell us what transmission you have, important info! auto or stick? Your reference to loosing power for your stereo and clock during cranking makes no difference, it is normal for many of your accessories to only be powered with the key in the run position and shut off when cranking to free up more power to turn the starter.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:04 PM

Well i got her running the linkage was not hooked up right so it was trying to start in the wrong gear. Cycled through the gears and got it to fire immediately. After 4 months she is finally running again. Thank you all for the help and reaponses and mostly for teaching me not to be so damn vague in my posts and explain more thoroughly.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:27 PM

Well i got her running the linkage was not hooked up right so it was trying to start in the wrong gear. ... explain more thoroughly.
Awesome! See how important transmission info is? We don't have linkage / starting in wrong gear on our 5-speeds.
For the future, PLEASE INCLUDE MODEL-YEAR-ENGINE-TRANSMISSION-TRIM on your signature. (see my signature- )
Old 02-08-2018, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Awesome! See how important transmission info is? We don't have linkage / starting in wrong gear on our 5-speeds.
For the future, PLEASE INCLUDE MODEL-YEAR-ENGINE-TRANSMISSION-TRIM on your signature. (see my signature- )
Thank you RAD!
Old 05-08-2022, 03:39 AM

Automatic transmission swap with R150F

I have done a transmission swap on my 94 Toyota pickup 3.0 4x4 the two black wires have been bridged to trick the neutral safety switch as soon as you turn the key the relay behind the ECU clicks but the starter wont turn over checked the starter relay 12.6v the main lead to the starter 12.6v what am I missing here this electrical is driving me insane hope you can help me thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starter wont crank after transmission install