Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Spray in bedliner for whole truck!!!!!!!! Good or bad idea??

Old 08-26-2015, 10:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol, yah, i used to apply the morton epoxy coatings years back. once you get the feel for it, they go on realatively thin, yet quite durable and super easy to clean off. just cost was pretty high.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Using the RIGHT product to Bedline a whole truck!

Got some personal experience on this topic so let me chime in...
If you bedline your truck badly, then you just ruined your truck. Bedlining badly means using an inferior bed liner that will be impossible to get off clean without destroying the bodywork, but at the same time will look like crap anytime after you've literally just put it on. Sure you think you're saving money buying a rattle can and it looks really great for like 5 minutes, but unless that thing is going to sit in a pristine garage, you've probably just ruined your truck.
You might want to go the opposite extreme and spend thousands of dollars on line-x or whatever to spray the whole truck, but it will also weigh it down and make the whole thing, just, bigger.. line-x is thick nasty stuff, sure it's tough but it's gonna ruin the subtle shape and design of your truck and the lights are gonna be set in, your drag co-efficient turns to ˟˟˟˟ with that stuff on all exterior panels. Oh and did I mention that it costs a fortune? It costs a fortune.
For all those reasons I have done the research and #have found the perfect solution and it's called Durabak and it's sold on www.durabakcompany.com and it's freaking awesome. The reasons I went with Durabak are many, first of all they do smooth as well as rough, so you can match parts of your truck that don't need the high level scratch guard / bed liner look with smooth, flat paint that looks factory quality even though I sprayed it on in my driveway!
Durabak is obviously UV Resistant and supertough like you'd expect from a bed liner used by the US Navy! What's more surprising is how EASY it is to work with yourself... You can roll it on, and with the right prep it just STAYS THERE and looks perfect. I am going to try and find pictures from when I first applied it to my YJ and now 14 years later so you can see how it still looks like new even though I beat the ˟˟˟˟ out of that thing most weekends.
Just ordered some for the F350 and the guys on www.durabakcompany.com help desk are just super nice and helpful - it's such a winner. I love this company and I love Durabak
Old 07-09-2019, 12:12 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
See my build thread in my signature. If you take your time and do it right it will look good. If you try and take shortcuts it will look bad. I think mine came out pretty well but it's still not for everyone.

The following users liked this post:
COMTB (07-15-2019)
Old 12-28-2023, 12:38 PM
CDV

I know a guy…

I work with a guy who did this to his Ram 1500. Not sure of the exact year but newer than 2010. He did it all on his own in his back yard and did it in blue. I didn’t know whose truck it was for years because he’s not on my shift so I’d only see it while he or I worked OT on the other’s shift. Asked around recently and found out who owned the truck and talked to him about it. He did it 4 years ago and included the cap he has on it. Looks amazing and like nothing could put a knick in it. Looks like a rhinoceros would bounce off it. We’re from Buffalo, NY so vehicles here get pounded on during our 7-month winters and the salt used on the roads to melt ice up here runs havoc on vehicles. Not uncommon at all to see a careless owner of a truck driving around with nothing but rust and rot from the ground up above the wheels and this truck with spray bed liner on the entire body for 4 years doesn’t have any detectable damage or a spot of rust anywhere. I wouldn’t buy a brand new truck and do this but if you have a 10-15 year old vehicle w/170,000 miles on it, without any of it rotted/rusted off I say do what you want. That’s the age and time where it’s gotta be paid off for years and you’re basically driving it till the wheels fall off anyway. If you have the sense to watch videos, research to find out what works best, sand, prime, prep, and take the right time to do it and make it look how you want more power to ya. Spray-painting a vehicle though?? I’ve seen that peppered in this thread and that’s something I can’t comprehend. Spray-painting an entire vehicle with…..regular spray-paint from a rattle can?? That sounds as goofy as my grandfather taking a paint brush to his Chevy years ago
Old 02-04-2024, 04:22 AM

Weight

Originally Posted by qdude79
I think you might be surprised at how much weight it adds. Might want to research it further...
LMAO I will not add anymore weight then what the product weighs in the can it came in which is about the same as PAINT AND PRIMER