86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Splitting t-case from trans, input shaft bearing

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 04:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Splitting t-case from trans, input shaft bearing

Hey guys, I just bought a used trans+transfer case to put in my '87 runner with 340k. I was going to put the whole unit in my truck, because I was having major output shaft play, and I had to do my clutch anyway. Now I found out that the input shaft on the replacement trans has play (side to side) which I read is unacceptable.

How hard is it to split the T-case from the trans and bolt it onto my existing trans? They will both be out of the trucks. Do I need any seals to do this? How about the shifter? I noticed that both shifters are on the trans... what's up with that?

On a side note, how hard is it to install an input shaft bearing? Does the trans have to be taken apart? I've rebuilt engines, but never a trans.

I could also just replace the output shaft bearing on my existing t-case since it needs a clutch anyway, but I'm worried it might need more than this. How hard are they to rebuild?

Sorry for all the questions... I'm at a loss. My truck, car, and bike are all broken.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The tcase is easy to remove from the transmission. I've pulled mine out a couple times, leaving the transmission on the truck. Pull the shifters out, then just losen/remove the 6 bolts holding them together.

I have not had to deal with the transmission yet, so I can not help you there.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:07 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
www.ncttora.com/fsm

it's all there

Both shifters on tranny is a forward shift tranny as in the tcase shifter is forward of the tcase.
Tcase shifter on tcase is a top shift obviously cause the tcase shifter is on top of the tcase.

Either tranny/tcase combo will work but you can't mix and match the two without converting the tcase.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 06-30-2010 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:20 PM

tcase

Maybe a stupid question, but how does the shifter operate the tcase if it's attached to the trans?
Old 06-30-2010, 02:27 PM

The shift forks go into the transmission
Old 06-30-2010, 06:04 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Lots of information online as to the differences in transmissions and tcases. Please do some searching. Lots of pictures on Marlin's tech pages.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:44 PM

Ok, I've done some more searching, and I still don't see anywhere that says how to just replace the rear output shaft bearing and seal.

Can I just pull off the rear cover, like the FSM shows and swap in a new bearing?
Old 08-07-2010, 02:13 PM

Marlin also has a downloadable video of them actually rebuilding an entire T-case. VERY helpful to watch and take a few notes on! But here's my story, maybe it can help you out with your T-case if you haven't gotten enough info already?:

I got a '93 Pickup with the W-56, standard tranny. The T-case I had on it was a forward shift (the FWD shifter was attatched to the tranny, not on top of the T-case.)

The T-case that was on the truck, was messed up somehow. Whenever in 4wd, whether 4-HI or 4-LO, it would make a loud ass clunking noise, and almost stop the truck when moving. CV's were fine, front diff is fine, drive shafts were fine, so I figured it was the T-case. I could even feel the clunk in my ass. Another reason I figured it was the T-case cause it was right under me.

I picked up an entire W-56 tranny with a T-case. I didn't look close enough at my setup, and didn't do much research prior to buying the donor setup. I removed my T-case and realized I had the "forward shift" T-case, and the donor was a top shift!

After standing around, and smoking a few cig's to relieve some stress, I noticed the only difference between the two, was the shift forks. (If I could figure out how to put pics on here, I'd put them up and show you to make more sense.) Anyways! I started first by taking apart the donor T-case because I've never dug into anything like this yet, and being a student at WyoTech, I haven't gone through the transmission part of the course either. So, I took the challenge upon myself.

After opening up the case, there really wasn't much to the T-case. I noticed that all I had to do, was switch the shift forks for the 4wd SHIFTER. I took the forks out of the donor which, by the way, was quite easy. Just do NOT lose the little detent balls or whatever you want to call them. (If you want more info about certain precautions, let me know.)

After I got the forks out, I took my T-case apart, and took those ones out. Put them into the new donor one, put it back together with some red, Permatex Gasket Maker because the T-case is aluminum, and the red won't eat through aluminum. $16.99 is cheaper than some gasket kits I've found.

The weather has been rainy, and I can't install the T-case back into the truck at school, so I'm waiting for the weather to clear up and get a helping hand to install it.

If you know how to post pics, let me know how and I'll put them up ASAP!
Old 08-07-2010, 04:09 PM

its not that hard to put pictures on here....

its more of a challange to change a tire without a tire and a jack on the side of the road..