Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

SPARKS89 Build-Up

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 07:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This past weekend I replaced the valve cover gasket and the half moon seals as well to eliminate one of several oil leaks. I also checked and adjusted the valve gaps too. That's a little bit of a difficult task to do in January and you're supposed to do it while the engine it hot. Overall it's really not difficult to do at all as it's pretty straight forward. Here's the part numbers if anybody needs them:

(2) SemiCircular Plug (Halfmoon) -- 1118338010
(4) Seal Washer -- 9021008026
(1) Valve Cover Gasket -- 1121335010

Make sure you replace the seal washers on top when you do this. They're cheap and it's good insurance.

I also ordered a new exhaust gasket with studs and nuts too, but I haven't gotten to that yet. Here's the part numbers for it anyway:

(4) Exhaust Manifold Upper Studs -- 9011610064
(4)Exhaust Manifold Lower Studs -- 9011610067
(8) Exhaust Manifold Stud Nuts -- 9008018070
(1) Exhaust Manifold Gasket -- 1717335120

I'm looking into removing my PAIR valve while I'm in there and getting the block-off plates for that from LCEngineering, but I haven't ordered them yet. I already have the block-off plates to remove the EGR. I'll probably wait and do it all at the same time. I'll take pictures when I do this project and post them.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:45 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
did you need to switch any sensors out besides the oil pressure sensor? my gas gauge/water temp are not right.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep up the good work!
Old 01-10-2013, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by kelvinb
did you need to switch any sensors out besides the oil pressure sensor? my gas gauge/water temp are not right.
No. That's the only sensor that you should have to worry about when doing this swap. I had a small thread going when I first went to buy the SR5 cluster and it ended up going a little bit into the wiring side of things. Here's the link:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...w-what-262327/

pay attention in particular to what combatcarl and Co_94_PU are saying on page 2. I don't know if it will help you or not, but it's worth a try.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Yamiryder
sweet build up. lots of good info and in depth explanations!
Originally Posted by andlours
Keep up the good work!
Thanks guys! It's fun to work on which is good since I get to do it so often
Old 01-10-2013, 10:50 AM

Last night after work I did another good 'ol tune up. With all the work I've done the only thing I really needed to worry about was the plugs/wires, distributor cap and rotor button. I'm sure if you've read the rest of the thread you've seen the pictures of my old plugs and agree they need changing. Last time I went with the NGK Standard plugs (part #BPR5EA-L) and Autolite wires. This time I stepped it up to the NGK G-Power plugs (part #BPR5EGP) and the NGK plug wire set (part #TX99A). It fixed quite a few problems I didn't even know I had. I got the pep (22RE scale, of course) back in my right foot and smoothed out my idle quite a bit. Not to mention the blue wires just look cooler than the boring old black.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:49 AM

My TPS got replaced again last weekend, but this one actually works! It turns out that the 'new' one I installed last summer was bad from the start, but having never worked on a Toyota before this truck I didn't have anything to compare it to. Anyway, after a year and a half of owning this truck the TPS is finally functioning properly. My idle is smoother than it ever has been. The truck has more pep than it ever has before. And I'm sure I'm getting better gas mileage while the engine is running cleaner. I did math at my last fill-up and came up with 23 mpg. Not bad for a 24-year-old 4x4 truck with one of the EFI components unplugged! I went 220 miles on 10.3 gallons of gas, but then factor in that I'm going 8% farther than what my odometer says I am because of the larger-than-stock tires and I really went 237.6 miles. Stock tire size is 225/75/R15 (circumference of 88.86 in.) and I'm running 31x10.50's (circumference of 96.39 in.). This was before I replaced the TPS and was running in safe mode. I've already driven farther than that on this tank of gas so I'm really excited to do the math at my next fill-up this weekend. We'll see what the improvement is!!!
Old 06-29-2013, 07:07 PM

I bought some screws at Lowe's the other day to replace a bunch of stripped out or missing screws for the interior panels. After drilling and re-tapping the holes all the panels are tight...no more rattles! Also, today I replaced the headlight/windshield wiper switch with one I bought off tgmaul (thanks again dude!). I got my hi-beams back!!! Tomorrow I'm taking off the hanger for the spare tire. It's froze-up and worthless so it's gotta go. Maybe one day I'll replace it, but I'm looking at upping my tires to 33's at some point so that hanger will probably be pointless anyway. Maybe it'll eventually be replaced with an air tank? Or an air compressor for some lockers??? Any ideas from anybody on what could go there?
Old 07-22-2013, 06:10 PM

Yesterday was a day for brakes. My original plan was to upgrade the front brakes to the V6 calipers and rotors, upgrade the master cylinder to the V6 model with the 1 inch bore and also upgrade the rear wheel cylinders using those for an early/mid 80's Land Cruiser that also have a 1 inch bore. The calipers are rebuilt which is totally fine with me. The only 'problem' I had with them was that one of them was raw metal and the other was painted gold! Now I'm not too interested in putting anything on my truck that looks like it belongs on a pimps hooptie and I'd like to put something on raw metal so it doesn't look like crap in a couple months....an $8 can of aluminum caliper paint from Advance Auto took care of that.

Well, I didn't get to the master cylinder or the rear drum brake cylinders. I did get the front of the truck taken care of tho! Front brakes are upgraded, wheel bearings were repacked and my manual hubs were taken apart, cleaned and rebuilt. Just as I was finishing up the driver's side I looked up at the sky and saw some serious looking storm clouds bearing down on me. By the time I got the wheel put back on and lowered the truck I was SOAKED. It was around 3 pm and I really needed to get both sides done so after a few minutes of standing at the door of the garage waiting to see if the rain was going to let up, I decided to try and find a tarp. I ended up using a fold-up canopy over the front passenger side so I could work on that side and get things done. Those things aren't very fun to put up by yourself.....especially when it's already raining. And to top things off, it wasn't 20 minutes after I finished fighting that damn thing that the sun came back out. I was pretty pissed! At least I had some shade to sit in while I finished up. I did this work at my friends house since he has a small shop and more tools that me. I can replace the master cylinder and rear wheel cyliners at my place pretty easily. Those will get done one evening this week. So far the truck stops much better than it used to. Granted, part of that is due to simply having new brakes up front, but I also know it's because they're also stronger than the previous brakes. I'll give updates once the master cylinder and wheel cylinders are upgraded too.

If anybody is looking at doing this themselves (which I recommend as a very worthwhile upgrade), I ordered all the parts for this from RockAuto.com. The total bill was just a hair under $330. Each caliper has a $40 core charge so once I send the old ones back I'll only be looking at $250 to upgrade my brakes! Awesome price for a very useful upgrade!!!

As a side note: my service manual says to use a 54mm socket for the axle nuts. At least in my area, these are almost impossible to find, but a 2 1/8" socket from sears fits perfectly so don't waste a lot of time trying to find the 54mm socket.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:01 AM

I was one of the few people that got to try out the Bosch FlameThrower fuel injectors on my truck. They got put in last weekend and let me tell you, if you're looking for a good upgrade that doesn't cost much (if any) more than stock replacement parts you really need to get a set of these.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...review-272124/
Old 11-02-2013, 08:26 PM

Last night I hit a deer. This was the second deer I've ever hit. The first was about 3 weeks ago. That one took out the lower valance on my bumper. This one was a little more thorough with the job. My girlfriend says bad things happen in 3's so I'm curious to see what will happen next.......

I was doing about 70 on the interstate when the little spike jumped out in front of me. Lucky for me, he was hunched over so it looks like the front cross member took most of the hit. Obviously the bumper is trashed and it got pushed up into the grille which is broken all over the place. Passenger side turn signal light got the back busted out of it. The AC condenser was pushed back into the radiator. Luckily the radiator wasn't damaged, but it was pushed back closer to the cooling fan when the core support got bent. I spent the day taking off broken/bent pieces and ordering new parts.

I've got a new core support, grille, bumper with valance, bumper mounting brackets and turn signal lights on the way. I'm going to reuse my side marker lights, bumper end caps and TOYOTA emblem. Everything will be painted black except for the emblem. It might stay chrome or get painted a different color. I'm not sure what I'll do with that yet. The turn signal lights are clear with amber bulbs so I think they'll look pretty sharp with the blacked out bumper and grille. I got a replacement steering box sent to me a couple weeks ago. I'll be putting that in while I have the core support out. Updates to come in a week or two.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:51 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh noes!! Dang deer. Sorry man. I hate to see someones baby all mashed up.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by HighLux
Oh noes!! Dang deer. Sorry man. I hate to see someones baby all mashed up.
Yea, she's a little rough right now, but she'll look better than before soon.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:11 AM

So here I am a month after hitting the stupid deer. I spent a couple weeks working on putting the truck back together and a couple more weeks just trying to figure out my starter issue. Here's the link if you want to see how stupid I can be at times.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...e-hell-275609/

As I said before, my girlfriend says bad things happen in 3's. It turns out the first 2 were deer and the 3rd was self-inflicted stupidity. Oh well, I'm alive and the truck is up and running again. Life is good once more! I'm working on getting pictures. For some reason Snapfish decided not to let me copy pictures and post them here anymore.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:04 AM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
use google+
Old 12-05-2013, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice work! subscribed. I love watchign trucks come together, even if deer try to stop that from happening. Be thankful you don't have to deal with elk... man they suck.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:31 PM

Well, it's been a little while and I've got some updates on things that have been done lately. As you know, the deer decided to do some body work for me. That's been taken care of, as well as the starter issue. WHAT A PAIN THAT WAS!!! The problem ended up being the flywheel. I couldn't find anything wrong with the flywheel that was in the truck, but none of the replacement starters would work with it. I ended up pulling the transmission, taking off the bell housing and reinstalling that on the back of the motor so I could see how the starter was making contact with the flywheel. The starter teeth kept getting hung up and wouldn't retract. After being able to see it, I decided to order a new flywheel. I got one from Low Range Offroad for $93 shipped......WAY better than the Toyota brand I priced anywhere from $250-450! Shipping took a while as UPS was having some issues over the holidays. I finally got it installed last weekend. I've been driving the truck for a week with no issues other than the noise (I've been driving a 2001 Lincoln Town Car while the truck was down and it's MUCH quieter).

So while the truck was waiting on parts I did a few other things. I replaced the leaking exhaust manifold gasket, cleaned my coolant temp sensors with a wire brush on the drill, did an EGR and PAIR delete. I also went ahead and replaced the shifter seats for the transmission and transfer case. They looked pretty crummy when I pulled the transmission out. And since the new Low Range flywheel fixed the problem that had been bugging me for over a month, their sticker earned a spot on my back window

I've uploaded pictures of the front end rebuilt in my albums. I still don't know why I can't insert pictures into my posts.

Last edited by SPARKS89; 01-11-2014 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:55 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by SPARKS89
...battery/airbox swap...
And the finished product...
Hi SPARKS89,
Nice intake swap, and I like the clean ducting. I plan to do mine, too, and am wondering... did you use the stock airbox? Where did you run its intake to? Mind posting a picture?
TIA,
RAD
Old 06-02-2014, 03:21 AM

Sorry, the picture doesn't show the air filter. I didn't reuse the stock airbox. I had a friend weld up a brace that bolts to the AFM that also supports a cone filter. It's just one of those Spectre filters you get off the shelf from Advance Auto.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:03 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by SPARKS89
Sorry, the picture doesn't show the air filter. I didn't reuse the stock airbox. I had a friend weld up a brace that bolts to the AFM that also supports a cone filter. It's just one of those Spectre filters you get off the shelf from Advance Auto.
Cool. Thanks a lot, Sir, and best regards,
RAD