Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Spark Plug Re-Tap Problem , HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spark Plug Re-Tap Problem , HELP

Hello Everyone ,
I am a new member , I recently bought a '91 Truck , bone stock , went to change plugs and found someone did a plug re-thread on #5 cyl. , after barely getting it out of the head and after much research I found that the thread they re-tapped the plug hole in the head with is 5/8"-18 (deducted this by a tap and die set) .
The problem being that instead of attaching (bonding/sealing) insert in the newly tapped hole they bonded/sealed the insert to the plug (darn-it Scotty why!! ) !!!!!
I am trying to find a new 14mm-1.25 X 5/8-18 insert so I can bond/seal the insert to the head instead of the plug like the previous fruitcakes did , the plugs are bosch platinums which is good because they will last but not good because of all the posts I have read here about them , I want to put in the NGK Iridium Plugs but want 6 ............not 5 and a bosch !!!!
I have searched and searched and see all kinds of plug repair kits but none that indicate the tapped hole thread specs - only the insert thread which is 14mm I am told for the '91 3.0 V6 , Can anyone help me please either with the proper kit/part # or a phone # of someone I can call to find out what the tapped hole thread would be which would need to be 5/8-18 as is apparently what the head is tapped , HELP !!!!
So in the end I need a plug repair insert with a 5/8-18 Male Thread and a 14mm Female Thread for the stock 3VZE motors Spark Plug.
Not exactly sure of the reach of that plug though........ I will measure but am guessing about 3/4", I measured and it appears to be 11/16" depth.

Last edited by n4ynu1010; 09-30-2007 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have two repair kit, they are 14mm 1.25 thread, need it? Pm me.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:27 PM

Man that sucks. I worried about that happening even before I pulled my spark plugs out because it's a 17 year 1990 4runner, probably original plugs, and aluminum heads. When I took mine out, I just loosened each spark plug a tiny bit and sprayed WD40 around the plug, and then re-tightened each one. Next round I backed them out just a little bit further, squirted WD40 around the plug and tighened it back down again. Did it once more again for luck. Then finally I just went for broke and pull them all out, they came out clean as a whistle.

I tell you what though I was sweating it the whole time during the procedure. All of them felt tight as hell, just like they were going to strip out.

Last edited by corvey; 09-30-2007 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:36 PM

I retapped mine with a kit from auto zone:

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6434577

It worked great I have pictures of the entire process here:

http://www.putfile.com/naadomail/images/141144

Be sure and use the long thread. It fit perfect in my head. Hope that helps some.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone else happen to notice the "Sponsored Links" at the bottom of this thread? Not sure if it will help on not.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Anyone else happen to notice the "Sponsored Links" at the bottom of this thread? Not sure if it will help on not.
:O It's a sign from the autogods!
Old 09-30-2007, 05:54 PM

HA HA I noticed that as well. Now THAT'S advertising!!
Old 09-30-2007, 05:54 PM

Too funny indeed
Old 09-30-2007, 06:43 PM

Plug Mahem

I saw the add at the bottom and that is the same type as I have as the plug insert that they sealed to the blasted plug , looks just like copper on my plug threads like the picture of the ones they sell , heads have beautiful 5/8" Threads in them so I am trying to find just the insert so I can screw in and seal to head as is and be done with it , I may have to buy that kit although someone who has responded thinks he may be able to get me the insert I need , the only thing I am worried about is if I used their insert it has to be installed and then tapped as the female portion of the sleeve is not tapped when installed but after it is put in and bonded and #5 is in a bad place for making sure it is straight if you know what I mean even if you do remove the charcoal cannister and the bracket for it , it is still a bad place to be tapping anything .

If I can't get insert to use I will have to buy the whole kit from TIME-SERT( The add at the bottom ) and re-install sleeve and then see if I can reliably tap it but I need to call them tomorrow as well and see if the insert they have is a 5/8-18 thread , if I can't get just the insert from someone or TIME-SERT then I may have to go that route and who knows maybe they have a pre-threaded insert that I can buy as well , will see tomorrow ........ I can only imagine what the kit cost as it looks very nice and you have to buy the inserts separately (go figure) but I guess on the upside if I do get it at least I will have it for the next time but you all know that if you have the specialty tools for next time ............next time usually never comes until you throw the tool out hehe

Last edited by n4ynu1010; 09-30-2007 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:58 PM

3 of my plugs were like that , took me 10 mins or more to get them out and I was sweating it the entire time .
Old 09-30-2007, 07:09 PM

Plug Mayhem

New at this , messed up and did'nt use quote hehe , here we go again :

3 of my plugs were like that , took me 10 mins or more to get them out and I was sweating it the entire time .

Originally Posted by corvey
Man that sucks. I worried about that happening even before I pulled my spark plugs out because it's a 17 year 1990 4runner, probably original plugs, and aluminum heads. When I took mine out, I just loosened each spark plug a tiny bit and sprayed WD40 around the plug, and then re-tightened each one. Next round I backed them out just a little bit further, squirted WD40 around the plug and tighened it back down again. Did it once more again for luck. Then finally I just went for broke and pull them all out, they came out clean as a whistle.

I tell you what though I was sweating it the whole time during the procedure. All of them felt tight as hell, just like they were going to strip out.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:29 PM

Plug Mayhem

I did and will call tomorrow but their kit still requires threading the insert and I hope I can just find the insert I need and seal it to the head and be done with it and maybe still they may have that very insert , who knows but worth a call , just wish it wasn't #5 and it would be much easier since if I get their kit I will still have to tap the insert since their kit requires you install the insert first and then tap the insert once installed with the included tool and then again I need to make sure that the original tap for the insert itself is 5/8-18 thread so I can get around re-tapping head .

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Old 09-30-2007, 07:32 PM

I see you have your head off in your pics , mine is still on motor and running and hope to leave it that way hehe , I have those beautiful threads in head already since the fruitcakes sealed the insert to the plug instead of the head so am hoping to use the pre-tapped hole and just put another insert in ...........key word is HOPE !

Originally Posted by naadomail
I retapped mine with a kit from auto zone:

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6434577

It worked great I have pictures of the entire process here:

http://www.putfile.com/naadomail/images/141144

Be sure and use the long thread. It fit perfect in my head. Hope that helps some.

Last edited by n4ynu1010; 09-30-2007 at 07:34 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:33 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Helicoil....
Old 09-30-2007, 07:38 PM

Plug Mayhem

Havn't heard anything good about Heli-coils in regards to plugs , all the info I have accumalated indicates sleeves aka inserts are the way to go and make a much more permanent repair in this case , have used Heli-coils for bolts many times with great results but for plugs they say the inserts are best

Originally Posted by CJM
Helicoil....
Old 09-30-2007, 07:45 PM

Plug Mahem

I sent you a message , kinda running back and forth between the tube and computer , thx for your reply and let me know if you turn something up at work tomorrow that might solve my dilema , I will check back in from time to time and will call TIME-SERT (add at bottom of screen hehe) and see if they may have the actual insert as well without having to buy the whole kit (maybe so , its worth a shot since it looks the exact same as what I see on the plug).

Originally Posted by Guardian_Saint
I have two repair kit, they are 14mm 1.25 thread, need it? Pm me.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:47 PM

If all else fails, JB WELD it in But if it ever fails, just watch out for spark plug bullet
Old 10-01-2007, 10:32 AM

Ok......talked with TIME-SERT and they said it is not one of thier inserts and as well all of thier inserts would be metric male and female threads .
They also said if I used one of thier inserts I would have to buy complete kit and re-tap the hole which would be a crap shoot since I already have had the head tapped ( Thier Kit is $200+ with inserts extra ).
After picking the Techs brains for several minutes he recommended the same thing I had pondered in another thread .........that I clean the insert threads on the plug and the threads on the head and use High Temp Red Threadlocker (Standard Equipment in my toolbox) to rebond the insert to the head and then return and remove plug after driving , he said that it is possible that they did not use the high temp red threadlocker which the regular grade breaks down about 200 degrees and the high temp 450 degrees so in that case the insert would come out with the plug after breakdown of the non high temp rated threadlocker .
He said since I have the insert on the plug and the head is already tapped that it seemed to him to be a good way to solve the problem and eliminate the need for finding another insert though I am still looking for the insert anyway , he said if the plug was over-torqued a bit that with the absence of High Temp Locker this is what would happen , he said over-torqing would bond the compression gasket to the insert a bit ( since it is a soft insert for the aluminum heads ) and with the breakdown of the threadlocker the insert would accompany the plug instead of staying in the head .......... I am going to try it tomorrow morning , drive a bit to cure and then later in the evening after complete cooldown try and remove plug again and hopefully just get the plug this time .
I am closely following this thread so if anyone has any additional comments or has experienced this please let me know !

Last edited by n4ynu1010; 10-01-2007 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:40 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The shop I work at its SOP to helicoil a plug liek you mention.

Whatever you decide, I hope it works.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:34 PM

Spark Plug Problem

Originally Posted by CJM
The shop I work at its SOP to helicoil a plug liek you mention.

Whatever you decide, I hope it works.
I used to use them for everything too but from what I have researched the industry seems to prefer the sleeve/insert repair for them because it is supposed to be a more permanent repair with little or no chance of backing out or leaking compression etc. , all that said it is ironic that I have that very problem with a "insert" hehe but it seems that is because the thread sealant was not high enough temperature rated and the temp. from the heads broke it down , at least that is what I have learned from talking to about 15 different techs so far .