Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Spare tire relocation

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spare tire relocation

So i took my spare out from underneath my 4Runner and I would like to relocate it someplace. When i finally get the money to buy a roof rack, I want the tire to end up there, but it may be a little while untill that can happen (a year or so). So i would like to find another place for it untill then.

I was hoping i would have room in the rear cargo area but with my sub box back there, its a little tight. I was thinking about fabbing up a post out of 2" square tube that would bolt to the floor and behind the trim somewhere. It would hold the tire up vertically. Something pretty similar to this: http://nissannut.com/projects/spare_mount/

But i know thats going to require a decent amount of cutting to the trim and stuff. So what i wanted to know before i got started, has anyone done anything creative with mounting their spares without having a roof rack or swing away spare holder on the bumper? The reason i dont want it under the truck is because I am changing the exhaust up a little so that it is up higher closer to the body and the new mounts for the exhaust are interfering with the tire a little.

any help is appreciated!

thanks
-ty
Old 07-20-2009, 08:20 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
if its on your roof rack your COG is going to suck.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's a Runner, the COG is terrible anyways.

Just check around your local Pick and Pull. There are plenty of swing-out tire mounts. Just drill some holes and bolt it in.
I've seen plenty of spare tires in the back cargo area.

I've also seen safari look, spare tire mounted to the front.

or ya know, buckle it in the front seat with you.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Stuwy123
It's a Runner, the COG is terrible anyways.

Just check around your local Pick and Pull. There are plenty of swing-out tire mounts. Just drill some holes and bolt it in.
I've seen plenty of spare tires in the back cargo area.
The COG's arn't great to start off with, no need to make it worse.

I dislike the swingout tire carrier personally, thats why i took mine off. I just wish someone locally wanted it so i didn't have to deal with it in the garage anymore.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:03 PM

where did you mount yours 904 runner?

I was considering maybe doing a swing away in the rear... but i got to find the time and locate the steel to make the bumper... id rather not just get some chinsy one from a junk yard if im only going to have it for so long.

I'm going to look at my friends XJ, the spares on those are mounted vertically on the inside. i'll see what i come up with.

and yea...cog already sucks pretty bad... so i guess your right... no reason to make it worse. i wish there was an easier solution... WISH I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT ANOTHER TRUCK!!!!!
Old 07-20-2009, 01:34 PM

X2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God im sick of this 4runner, i want a pickup sooooooooo bad....

(ill admit though, i do like the 4runner when its on 39.5's though, i enjoyed it a lot more then)

I don't have a spare tire at the moment.. :thumbsdown: But when i did i threw it in the back.. If you can reconfigure where your sub/amp is at for wheeling trips then i would do that.. I don't have a sub/amp so i never had that problem.. i will shortly though.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:47 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Being that i dont tow a trailer much (and i have a 22re) i think im going to use the rear reviecer part of my bumper, create an l shape braket with a plate welded to it, press some lug studs into the plate and call it a day. This should allow the spart to mount ot the plate and be held down with 3 lug nuts, then im going to fab up a tie down on some sort to hold a small shovel and hi lift. I have not started this yet but this is the direction im goin.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:52 PM

i wouldn't do that... your going to bolt it to yoru bumper?

Think about it like this though.. if you are going to do something, make a quick disconnect for it to swing out. it will be a real pain if it gets in the way of you putting/getting stuff into or out of the back of it.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:12 PM

no, not going to bolt it to it, just slide it in the reciever like a ball hitch would slide in. then if i need it down or dont want it to be on while in town, pull the cotter pin and lock slide out the tire carrier and such and be on my way. I may be explaining it wrong but the tire will look just like a swing away tire mount would. picture a bike rack going in the reicever with out the part that holds the bikes, i kinda have to get my hands on and crate one, then i will get pics out. im sure it will lead to alot of this but its going to be a bit before i can takle that one lol
Old 07-20-2009, 02:33 PM

my only concern with that would be, how big of a PITA is it going to be to lift a tire attached to a metal holder and put it into place.

depends on the size tire you are running, but i still don't see it being fun, even with 31's.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 904_runner
my only concern with that would be, how big of a PITA is it going to be to lift a tire attached to a metal holder and put it into place.

depends on the size tire you are running, but i still don't see it being fun, even with 31's.
Wasn't there a manufacturer that made a reciever mounted spare tire carrier that had a swing down option that was held in place with a pin? I know I saw one for sale in the classifieds. Looked like a pretty good idea as long as you aren't running some huge tire.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:58 PM

i agree with you on that, completely, weight is definatly a concern, i am going to prob. run 35 when all is said and done, but options with the runner are limited as far as placement. i figure this way cog is not added to with the tire up top, i like the swingaway but it doesnt look that good with my rear mc bumper, and i have thrown around the idea of a baja mount in the back behind the seat but then you loose all your storage, thus why i opt to store the tire "outside" of the runner, and this is what led me to the reciever mount. which everway it goes im a fabbin fool for stuff like this and we will have to see what i can come up with, As always suggestions are always welcome if you guys have any ideas. Also, 904 where do you plan on rocking your spare when you get you system in? i gots ideas but you have to give a little room to get a little room, lol
Old 07-20-2009, 03:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Here it is. If I could easily move the license plate I'd go for something like this.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f109...hicago-182415/

edit: After reading the post again it seems to have a mounting option for the license plate and light.

Last edited by Junkers88; 07-20-2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:07 PM

Junkers,
your the man, i had not been able to find this, the pics will work great for ideas, i dont know i would pay that much for one, shouldnt be that hard to make, on the other hand i really did not think about license plate mounts hmmmmm, we see where that takes me lol
Old 07-20-2009, 03:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
http://store.uhaul.com/Hitch_accesso...e_Tire_Carrier

http://www.tiregate.com/hg_series_0.shtml

http://cbioffroadfab.com/v-web/gallery/TIRE-CARRIERS