86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sound deadening tips needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sound deadening tips needed

I’ve been trying to reduce tranny noise in the cab of an 88 4runner SR5.

I’ve drained off then added 3/4 quart lucas oil stabilizer to W56-B 5-speed.

Ball seat and shifter socket are on order from marlin crawler.

While checking out the stock ball seat and shifter socket, I thought… what if I pull some of the carpet away, “wrap” the tranny tunnel and shifter cover with a sound deadening material, then lay the carpet back over and bolt everything back in place.

What material should I use?

Dynamat seems to be mentioned most often. But mfg says it is mostly for stopping vibration noise (not necessarily transmission of sound from the tranny, through the floor, and into the cab).

B-Quite Vcomp may meet the intended application better. Anyone heard of or used it? I haven’t.

Both are expensive. So does anyone know where I could find 2x3 foot piece of noise reducing foil faced duct wrap? I guess I could just cut out holes for the shifters. Wonder if it would even work…

Thx,
Old 05-14-2011, 07:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
When I needed to "seal up" the interior of a Scout that I had I used HVAC foil backed wrap (kind of like this http://www.btubusters.com/hvac-duct-...nsulation.html). I worked at an HVAC place at the time so it was easy to get a few scrap pieces. I'd say find a local place and see if they will let you have, or let you buy, a 4x6 foot piece. Then you can pull the seats and carpet and do a large part of the floor area.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dynomat is made for just what you are trying to do but its kinda $$. However you can head to your local hardware store and pick up an adheasive roofing repair roll. Its about the width of a double wide roll of duct tape. Pull the interior and roll the roof patch material out sticking it to the floor, door interiors, back of cab etc. Cut out around all the mounting holes and replace the interior. It works as good as dyno mat and will cost you less than half the price.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Sportsmanphil
Dynomat is made for just what you are trying to do but its kinda $$. However you can head to your local hardware store and pick up an adheasive roofing repair roll. Its about the width of a double wide roll of duct tape. Pull the interior and roll the roof patch material out sticking it to the floor, door interiors, back of cab etc. Cut out around all the mounting holes and replace the interior. It works as good as dyno mat and will cost you less than half the price.
Just what I was going to suggest. You can get it at Home Depot or Lowes. Great stuff and easy to install. I've done the drivers door and the rear cab wall in my daughter's truck so far and it does make a difference. I plan on doing more, like the passenger door and probably under the carpeting and possibly even the roof to stop rattles and reduce road noise some. The Drivers door closes with a good, solid thunk now instead of the normal Toyota tinny sound. And at $16 or so a roll, you can't beat it.
Attached Thumbnails Sound deadening tips needed-u-seal.jpg  
Old 05-15-2011, 07:02 AM

do a search for RBX's build thread. he has pretty much a step by step written. Think it also gives a ball park figure on material and where to get it. Stuff was pretty cheap but worked well if memory serves.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i had a noise problem with my 3liter diesel hilux so i got the material that removal comanies use to protect things with and i just put it in the doors, behind the dash, under the carpet and all over and it made a huge differece, i think its recycled cotton or something so just try looking for some, i dont really know where youd get it from in the US but it was $10 for a 4x4m sheet of it from my local hardware shop, shouldnt be too hard to find
Old 05-16-2011, 07:07 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Home depot stuff. Quiet please.