86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Solid Axle Kits

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, lots of great ideas.

Yes, it's true I am thinking about converting a 2wd motorhome over to a 4x4. I am not really interested in having to much lift given it is a motorhome, I think 3" should be plenty. Just so everyone's clear, I too have no problems with IFS trucks. I just love my old motorhome and would like to take it off road with the luxury of being able to take a shower and use the crapper, even in the woods. In my youth 15 to 20 years ago I built a few yotas and somehow lost the urge when the family grew. Now, I think it's time to get back to the wilderness with a few more creature comforts.

Beside which kit to purchase, I am also wondering what to do with the rear axle. The rear axle is a duly with a very odd bolt pattern ( 6 x 7.25 ) and there are no after market rims. I have been wondering if a full floating rear axle out of a JF80 90's Land Cruiser is as strong as what I have? I would love to keep the 1ton rear axle, just can't find any wheels for it.

More to follow!!
Old 10-05-2012, 09:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is that one ton rear axle a dually? I don't know much about american axles but maybe you could get a dana 60 or 70 and maybe be able to match the gear ratio and make it a 6 on 5.5 pattern. That would be a good option if it was possible. It would NOT be a cheap endeavor I bet but in the end worth the money with a motor home. I'm not sure how much stronger FJ80 axles are but if one would work that would be SWEET. You could get one with a locker already installed and matching gear ratios would probably be easier.

OR just go with Dana axles front AND rear.... if you're feeling froggy

BTW, I like your idea. This would make a super cool hardcore camping/expedition rig. I'd probably do it just for a snowboarding rig that I could camp in up on the hill to save from driving back and forth.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by Luvmeye22re
Is that one ton rear axle a dually? I don't know much about american axles but maybe you could get a dana 60 or 70 and maybe be able to match the gear ratio and make it a 6 on 5.5 pattern. That would be a good option if it was possible. It would NOT be a cheap endeavor I bet but in the end worth the money with a motor home. I'm not sure how much stronger FJ80 axles are but if one would work that would be SWEET. You could get one with a locker already installed and matching gear ratios would probably be easier.

OR just go with Dana axles front AND rear.... if you're feeling froggy

BTW, I like your idea. This would make a super cool hardcore camping/expedition rig. I'd probably do it just for a snowboarding rig that I could camp in up on the hill to save from driving back and forth.
its a factory toyota dually axle.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:20 AM

The snow is actually one of the reasons I wan't to make the motorhome a 4x4. Even with chains, nothing matches having 4 wheels turning in the snow.