Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

So tired of ppl telling me tha the 3vze is a bad motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 12:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If someone put the same amount of money into a 3.0 that you did on your 22re for that statement to be true the V6 would eat your little 4 banger.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:17 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow, ..... intense! lol...

I've got a good buddy with a 3VZE that he rebuilt from the ground up(flecker, many know him I'm sure.... even though he's banned, lol)... He LOVES that thing and got LOTS of miles out of it before even rebuilding it. It's a 5spd, which I think is the best combo's with those... AND, it does GREAT on hills and towing, with only TINY modifications. NO ISR mod, no headers.... just the VeeZee-Over Easy! lol.

I guess they're a bit more of a pain to work on(from what Andy told me, regarding the Knock Sensor issues, etc.)... But like he also told me, "Just build it right, with the right parts, right from the start..... Torque the HG properly, etc., ...and as long as you don't treat it like a 5.7 Saleen/or try to, lol/ it'll last you a LONG time and tow a bit more, like your boat, when you need it". I've driven in that thing and it's SWUEEEEEEET! Plenty of power, quiet, decent mileage(18-20).... And, well, after a bit of time, he's got the 'fix's' down pretty quick. Tricks for the plugs to come out and in easier, etc.

I've been looking for a swapped 3.4 3rd Gen Xtra Cab PU... but I wouldn't hesitate to grab a VeeZee at a good price Just figured, "Why not grab an upgrade if I find one", right?

Interesting thread so far.... Lotsa cyber-sparing! lol.

PS> that Stewart Veezee is CRAZY! LOL. I HAVE seen an LCE Stroker 22RE that was well over 300HP too.... Only thing I would ask, .... isn't the 22re a LIL bit easier to work on?(space, etc.?)
Old 05-26-2012, 01:19 PM

PSS> I didn't put TOO much into my 22RE... and I pull the Cahon pass at 65-70 in 4th and 5th with the A/C on and 90-95mph on the straights..... Not knocking the VeeZee.... I'm not 'one of those' HEHEHE... Just saying, I got what I got and it serves me fine.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i see more 22re rebuilt than anything else. if the 22re was so great why so many getting rebuilt lol
Old 05-26-2012, 01:28 PM

Hahaha.. Hmm, that's an interesting point, Toyo! lol....

My 22RE's have been rebuilt(3 of the 7 I've owned) at;

254K, 325K, 180K....... Curiously, this last one has been built twice in 2 years(hahaha... HEY, my machinist was a KNOB-THIEF on the first build, lol... So that doesn't count, right? lol)
Old 05-26-2012, 02:09 PM

All I know is this, I am not super easy on my 3ltr engines, I drive them with a purpose, and the 3 that I have owned have been ultra reliable, and with some minor adjustments pretty stout. Vudu isn't the only one thinking there is more to this than public opinion. So if any forum(s) could cross combine info and tips and do a build up on the underdog, it should be ours. This back and forth bickering combined with negativity gets us nowhere... I myself am looking into power tricks, found a few small gains here and there, and generally think the 3.0 has had some unfair public press not unlike a pit bull terrior. Bad news spreads faster than good news, so lets not fall victim to status quo shall we.

Last edited by Lycanistic; 05-26-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:46 PM

If I want to make mine better where would I start? I've not even really found headers online. Just 22re stuff, you stumble on aftermarket support easy as.

3vze has next to no support from what I could find. I'm looking at a swap out in the future for that reason alone. If someone could show me otherwise I'm pretty happy with how reliable she's been so far with it's 250,000km.

Last edited by Red Wagon; 05-26-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by CDN-SMOKEJUMPER
If I want to make mine better where would I start? I've not even really found headers online.

3vze has next to no support from what I could find. If someone could show me otherwise I'm pretty happy with how reliable she's been so far with it's 243,000 miles.
i'd love to send my parts to someone for reasonable prices to get work done,
heads and intake massaged.

mine overheated (it kills the high mileage older head gaskets) so i am doing head gaskets.

i think 92 toy (jerry) got the last set of 3.0L headers cuz i can't find any for sale, new or used.
DARN HIM.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have not hade eny trouble with the 2 i have a94 and 95 has as much power as a 96 tacoma 3.4 i had i do have a 07 4 runner with a 3.4 that run very nice
Old 05-26-2012, 08:04 PM

If I want to make mine better where would I start? I've not even really found headers online. Just 22re stuff, you stumble on aftermarket support easy as.

3vze has next to no support from what I could find. I'm looking at a swap out in the future for that reason alone. If someone could show me otherwise I'm pretty happy with how reliable she's been so far with it's 250,000km.
What do you mean no headers here you go in stock ready to go.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DTE-505C/

Can someone say DIY turbo kit build, I didn't even know these existed.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SCH-TF30/
Old 05-27-2012, 03:10 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by phildelfino
i'd love to send my parts to someone for reasonable prices to get work done,
heads and intake massaged.

mine overheated (it kills the high mileage older head gaskets) so i am doing head gaskets.

i think 92 toy (jerry) got the last set of 3.0L headers cuz i can't find any for sale, new or used.
DARN HIM.
awww........c'mon. I didn't get dragged into this until now. I'll find headers. Northwest Off Road is one site but Doug Thorley is what we went with.

I still consider myself a newb, even after 2 rebuilds (my 22re and my son's 3vze). no comparing either build because his was done with the motor pulled and white glove attention to every detail. 4k miles later and it still looks fresh as a daisy.

my severely underpowered 22re will always take 2nd place to my son's 3vze. basically.....which one would I rather pull out on the highway to merge in front of a tractor trailer??? the 3vze every time. with headers providing some extra ooomph and growl, it is by far a much more pleasant drive, with HP to spare when needed.

as far as "support" for the 3vze. not sure what that is asking. I had no problem finding parts everywhere on-line. and as far as technical stuff......ummmm, yeah.....search this site right here. and MUDHIPPY and TNRABBIT and SBWALKER (I think that's his screen name) always came to the rescue in a pinch when I needed help right now....whether it be a well hidden torque spec or a detailed pic or thread or a "yep, that does that" kinda response.

EDIT:

found 5 hits (which actually is more than 5) when I searched "DOUG THORLEY 505c". with "Auto Anything" and Summit being the familiar names. Also, try LC Engineering. They do, indeed, have them. lotsa clams though. we bought ours form an EBAY seller ( no clue who) brand new etc etc etc....because I had an EBAY coupon. otherwise it would have been from SUMMIT.

Last edited by 92 TOY; 05-27-2012 at 03:21 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by n2o302
What do you mean no headers here you go in stock ready to go.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DTE-505C/

Can someone say DIY turbo kit build, I didn't even know these existed.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SCH-TF30/

Well isn't that handy! Thanks buddy.

I happen to have a spare 3VZE so maybe beefing one up is a better plan than than a 3.4 swap. Doesn't the 3.4 only have 30 more HP over a 3.0?

Great info in this thread, really pleased that I have a winter project to go along with a drivetrain lift.

Last edited by Red Wagon; 05-27-2012 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:30 AM

I hated my 3.0 till I figured out the stupid simple issue that was keeping it from running properly. And I still don't trust it yet, but the Po's rebuild is more the reason I don't.

I'll probably swap to a 3.4 eventually, but when I compare it to the other efi 6's I've owned it's not a great motor. I love the jeep 4.0 for power and ease of maintenance.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:58 AM

If someone put the same amount of money into a 3.0 that you did on your 22re for that statement to be true the V6 would eat your little 4 banger.
So umm.....how much money do you think i have wrapped up in my motor?
Right around $200...lol and wait till I bring my redline up to 6500 rpm :-D that'll bring me to a wapping $400

Last edited by kanyonkritter; 05-27-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by 808-3VZE
Has anybody tried to port and polish a set of 3vze heads? Also extruded honed the intake manifold and plenum?
I'll port it out for you :-) its what I do
Old 05-27-2012, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by MudHippy
Jealous haters...

Most people that bitch about them have never owned one. And/or want to build up a sense of superiority by saying that the engine they ended up with in their rig is somehow better(more reliable is usaully what they'll say). Which in most cases isn't true. Especially if it's a 22R-E. Since it's got just as bad a head gasket problem(if not worse), and is considerably weaker in all other aspects comparatively. They really secretly wish they had a 3VZ-E instead. But you'll never get them to admit that. So they hate on them just to make themselves feel bigger/better.

Bottom line: Don't believe the hype!
I'll take the lower weight, more space in the engine compartment (longer travel without overly widening vehicle stance :-) ), reliability (in lines last longer than V types everytime)and if your blowin head gaskets somethings wrong. Cant argue that the 3 vz-e doesnt have its advantages but I'll take my 4 cyl and I have had a 3 liter once or twice.

Last edited by kanyonkritter; 05-27-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by MudHippy
Jealous haters...

Most people that bitch about them have never owned one. And/or want to build up a sense of superiority by saying that the engine they ended up with in their rig is somehow better(more reliable is usaully what they'll say). Which in most cases isn't true. Especially if it's a 22R-E. Since it's got just as bad a head gasket problem(if not worse), and is considerably weaker in all other aspects comparatively. They really secretly wish they had a 3VZ-E instead. But you'll never get them to admit that. So they hate on them just to make themselves feel bigger/better.

Bottom line: Don't believe the hype!
I'll have to disagree with you me and many other people I know have bought their trucks wanting the 22re when they started looking for them I've owned 3 22re pickups not one had a headgasket problem. nor has the 10-20 other people I know with them. Now I do work with one guys with a 3vze and hes had to do the hg 3 times now on a truck with substantially less miles then any of mine. so trust me I do not secretly want a 3vze which has worse gas mileage and not much more power to brag about. if I were to want any v-6 in my truck it would be a 3.4 but this is just my experience and id say 75% of 3vze I've seen have had a HG replaced.

That being said a 3.0 is still a toyota motor which means there still gunna be good but I just prefer the 22re I haven't seen really any fail even with terrible abuse.

Last edited by VANCE164; 05-27-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:05 AM

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/faq/parts/

If I did some of the same type mods on my engine would that not keep my leave me with much the same HP gap between us?

I must admit though that all that extra room my buddy has in his 22re engine bay is quite nice.

After reading this thread I think I'll just tinker with my 3.0 seeing as I have 2 of them.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:02 PM

I took the 3 slow pretty far and was a freaking killer motor

did you know the 22re and the 3 slow have the same afm size

did you knwo toyota push that motor to over 350 to 400 in there race truck's

did you know mr2 guys have all ready push this class motor into the 700 plus range rather easy
Old 05-27-2012, 02:12 PM

The 3VZE is woefully under powered (150 HP), which causes poor gas mileage and poor acceleration. That's one reason I think Toyota opted for the 3.4 L in the 3rd gen 4Runners (183 HP). That being said, after 17 years and 204,000 miles with my 3VZE, it certainly is NOT the "worst engine ever built." It's quite reliable, other than those affected by head gasket issues. But passing a fellow motorist is a challenge without a good half mile clear ahead at interstate speeds. I try to pass on declines, to assist the "little engine that could" when passing someone. I'm averaging 15 MPG.

Quick Reply: So tired of ppl telling me tha the 3vze is a bad motor