Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

So tired of ppl telling me tha the 3vze is a bad motor

Old 05-25-2012, 05:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am with Vudujoose on this one, I also own another motor that was said to be a dog, the vg33e or 3.3 Nissan. With upgrades to injectors, ecm, cams, pistons, and various other little tweaks that 195hp dog is now a 345hp Beast.... ....
I have also started building on my 3.hmmn, its bored .50 over, pumping Probe 11:1 pistons, headgasket has been replaced and lined with a stainless steel backing plate from M.A.M., as well as modifying the fuel pressure regulator and doing some other fun stuff here and there. I plan to build my own custom CAI for it based off a NCFJ custom set-up I saw. In other words, just because yall ran outta Ideas, don't count the ol' dog out just yet.

http://www.probeindustries.com/Toyot...ns_s/20161.htm

Last edited by Lycanistic; 05-25-2012 at 05:39 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-25-2012, 05:37 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Don't start talking Nissans...or this thread will die

:wabbit2:
Old 05-25-2012, 05:50 AM

No wabbit, just saying that if you think outside the conventional wisdom box, the 3.slow has potential to become a 3.WHOA!!!
The following users liked this post:
YotaSyclone (02-23-2020)
Old 05-25-2012, 05:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
I've had just a few Toyotas and my current 3.0 has 252k miles on it. Given it blows smoke, leaks oil like Valdez and with the auto behind it slower than a fat woman on the cookie aisle at Walmart, but it still runs.

I won't buy a 3.0 on purpose, just one to 3.4 swap.

LOL yeah I wouldn't suggest buying one when there are obvious easier options, I really just got tired of hearing from others how bad the 3vze is. Sure it has some issues but so did many other engines in the 80-90's.

3.4 swap I would recommend to anyone who has the money as it's just a better engine due to trial and error (It's a revised 3vze) so it theoretically should be better, and realistically it's better, but that doesn't mean the the 3vze is trash. That was really my point. Most people tend to compare early 80's+ engines to the engines of today, and it's just not fair as technology and engineering progressed over time.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:55 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Just so we don't get sidetracked onto Nissan or worse yet...J***s.

My current 3.0 cranks up, runs fine but with the auto tranny it won't get out of its own way. Swapped a 5spd behind one a couple weeks ago, much more pep.

Lots of folks have good luck with them. I just find it funny when looking for Toyotas to buy people offer up the V6 (3.0) as a "good" selling point.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree as well that the 3vz is a great motor. the 3.4 is just a fixed 3.0 with camry heads and different cams. If you want you can get a fair bit more out of the 3.0 with basic mods and I cant wait to see what you do with the motor.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:58 AM

The lack of power doesn't usually bug me to be honest. I'd be happier if there was some sort of trade of though. You know, like good mileage. Or reliability. Or if it was easy to work on. That said, I don't disagree with the idea that it can be worked to make power. It just takes time, money and talent in larger quantities than a well supported motor would.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:49 PM

Ive had one 3vz with auto, man did i hate that thing on the streets almost no get up and go, but i didnt care cause it was mine, but off road i loved it just enough power and torque to do what all these guys with there v8s, ive even made it further then most jeeps, i dont see why people hate on it so much. its a good solid motor, besides the headgasket problem, i had no problems with mine besides the mpg. i loved my 3vz. and ill own another one
Andrew Parker (06-10-2019)
Old 05-25-2012, 04:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Just got my first 3.0. Picked up a 90 4runner with 148xxx on it. produced in 10/89, It is gutless and had a few problems, but I only paid $500 and with title and reg + minor fixes like powersteering rebuild, some fluids and a few tweaks, it runs top! Would like to 5sp swap it, in time, doing a SAS on my 87 over the next couple of weeks so I picked this up as a daily. This thread gives me hope that it will run nice for a bit now!
Old 05-25-2012, 04:18 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
i love my 3vze!!! easily improved with stock Toyota 7mge stuff... obd I can easily be fooled and... its easily worked on. If you want a speed demon go buy a supra or a bugatti veyron...3vze has enough power to tow what u need to,haul what u want and take you deep into a trail and get you back home. im keeping my 3vze...
Old 05-25-2012, 04:28 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Y'all have obviously never heard of the 400HP 3VZ-E that TRD built for Ivan Stewart to run in the Baja 500/1000 races.

Originally Posted by olharleyman
TRD 3.0L 3VZ Ivan "Iron Man" Stewart Baja Race Engine
Custom-made, TRD Works Engine Built for Ivan Stewart Item number: 110150161562

Own a piece of history!!! This is a custom-built race engine. All parts specially cast, made and machined by Toyota Racing Development's Race Engine shop, the same folks making the NASCAR race motors. Back when Ivan "the Iron Man" Stewart was fully factory backed with a small army of Toyota technicians and engineers, TRD and PPI hand built a limited run of 3.0L engines to dominate SCORE Baja racing and they DID! Capable of nearly 400 horsepower on a full on race tune, these motors carried Ivan Stewart to multiple Baja 500 and 1000 wins. Most of the motors and parts disappeared to collectors or TRD scrap parts bins but this one got away. It lurked in the shadows of TRD until it was put back into action in a Class 7S race truck by a TRD engineer in 2001. He raced a year or so then sold the truck to the Long Beach Racers who campaigned the truck and WON the Baja 1000 on this motor in 2004. This is a winning, strong motor built with Toyota reliability. The Long Beach Racers ran the truck another 2 years and wanted to switch to Class 7SX which allows for 3.4L motors and more competition. During the Baja 250, they spun a bearing and instead of rebuilding the motor, they decided to make the switch to 3.4L. So if you're looking for a high horsepower motor to run or race or you want to put a piece of history on display in your showroom, this is the last chance for this motor to be available. If you could even get TRD to make you one of these, you'd pay a couple hundred grand or more. The heads are one-off castings for high flow with matching intakes, dry sumped, girdled block, etc. If you know racing and Baja racing at that, you know how rare this opportunity is. Auction includes: TRD 3VZ Racing Engine, including dry sump and pump, ECU's and headers. Basically a complete engine that needs a bottom end rebuild. Spare Parts: Lots of spare sheet metal timing belt covers, etc. 3 cam shafts 1 crankshaft 3 dry sump pans 3 main bearing supports / crank position sensor mounts 4 sets of heads 4 intake manifolds 2 injection systems 1 set of valve covers 1 power steering reservoir 6 ignition coils 7 cam pulleys Lots of spare valves and springs, both new and used Braded stainless steel Dry sump lines with AN fittings 160 amp alternator 1 Ultra Filter oil filter can Extra oil lines 15 velocity stacks 2 crankshaft pulleys New distributor cap TIG welded chrome moly motor mounts I have more pictures with better shots of the spare parts I will email to bidders. Sorry, eBay limits the amounts of pictures I can post.
y minus pics but the listing number is there for all to go look into and pick apart.
Originally Posted by elripster
I asked him about the power and his answer makes sense.

"No. The comment of "nearly 400hp" comes from what I've heard they were capable of on an all out race tune ECU with racing fuel and super high RPM. As mentioned, the LBR team detuned the ECU or rev limit to go easier on the motor. I have not seen or know of an actual dyno run for hard numbers. I'm sure when TRD built the motor, they did but I don't have access to their data. I have heard that back in the day they quoted lower numbers as well to keep actual power numbers a secret with the logic being, if the competition thinks you are only making 325hp, they may build for 350hp and focus their efforts elsewhere on the truck. But hey, they can squeeze 350hp from a Goody's Dash 3.0L motor with a carburator and that's on factory block and heads."

Frank
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...e-look-121056/

As mentioned the new truck became a winner right away by taking the top spot in the Baja 500. And this is with a V-6 based on the 3VZE from their street trucks. It was pumped to somewhere just above 300hp. And this was against the rest of the Trophy Truck field where all the winners had V-8s. Toyota insisted that PPI stay with the 6 as that was the largest available in their production trucks
http://bringatrailer.com/2011/02/17/...a-1000-winner/

3VZ-E = great motor. I've always said so. And I always will.

Last edited by MudHippy; 05-25-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:32 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
So, head gaskets are the main negative thing I see for a 3.0, and this is solved by new gaskets and/or a set of headers to drop the crossover down under the truck. But what else has caused this motor to gain such a reputation? Just neglect from previous owners?
toybuster (10-11-2018)
Old 05-25-2012, 04:58 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Jealous haters...

Most people that bitch about them have never owned one. And/or want to build up a sense of superiority by saying that the engine they ended up with in their rig is somehow better(more reliable is usaully what they'll say). Which in most cases isn't true. Especially if it's a 22R-E. Since it's got just as bad a head gasket problem(if not worse), and is considerably weaker in all other aspects comparatively. They really secretly wish they had a 3VZ-E instead. But you'll never get them to admit that. So they hate on them just to make themselves feel bigger/better.

Bottom line: Don't believe the hype!
Old 05-25-2012, 05:39 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by MudHippy
Ya'll have obviously never heard of the 400HP 3VZ-E that TRD built for Ivan Stewart to run in the Baja 500/1000 races.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...e-look-121056/

http://bringatrailer.com/2011/02/17/...a-1000-winner/

3VZ-E = great motor. I've always said so. And I always will.

i dont believe the 3vze hype....but i believe the MudHippy!!!

Last edited by bone collector; 05-25-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine has given me no issues so far. The only thing I've noticed is a lack of aftermarket support for it. I've been looking for headers and have only found 22RE stuff. Anything I have found for the 3vze has been way expensive.

The 3.4 though seems to have loads of aftermarket goodies, meaning cheaper. Unless my google skills are really that piss poor it seems to me that doing up a 3.0 costs a lot more than doing up a 22RE or a 3.4. So much so in fact that some rebuilt engines from a machine shop look rather attractive.

This leaves me wondering if I should even bother trying or just keep an eye out for a deal on a 3.4.

Last edited by Red Wagon; 05-25-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by OrRunner
So, head gaskets are the main negative thing I see for a 3.0, and this is solved by new gaskets and/or a set of headers to drop the crossover down under the truck. But what else has caused this motor to gain such a reputation? Just neglect from previous owners?
I have found that a lot of actual mechanics hate these things and the timing belts because they have to take the time to set the valves right. Its not a hard thing to do but you have to do it right. other then that the auto transmission with the transfercase that is hydraulic driven as well.... makes the v6 kinda gutless compared to the 5 speed or 22re. Only the v6 auto has this bad combo.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by MudHippy
Jealous haters...

Most people that bitch about them have never owned one. And/or want to build up a sense of superiority by saying that the engine they ended up with in their rig is somehow better(more reliable is usaully what they'll say). Which in most cases isn't true. Especially if it's a 22R-E. Since it's got just as bad a head gasket problem(if not worse), and is considerably weaker in all other aspects comparatively. They really secretly wish they had a 3VZ-E instead. But you'll never get them to admit that. So they hate on them just to make themselves feel bigger/better.

Bottom line: Don't believe the hype!
Thank You!
Old 05-25-2012, 09:57 PM

When people ask me if my runner has a 3 point slow, I just drop my head and mutter ya.
Thats it. I just admit it and keep buying trucks with them. It is what it is.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:58 AM

If I could come up with some kind of stand alone engine management system so I could get rid of the ecu and the rest of the electronics that rival a british car in terms of reliability i would love it. Now back to trying to get rid of the code 52 and the limp mode
Old 05-26-2012, 11:19 AM

3.slow is a pos my 22re eats v6's for breakfast.....lol I only get 10 mpg though

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So tired of ppl telling me tha the 3vze is a bad motor