Sloppy Steering - YotaTech Forums

86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Sloppy Steering

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-11-2017, 08:41 AM   #1

Sloppy Steering

1990 4runner with 22re

Balljoints, inner/outter tie rods, idler, pitman arm, and ps fluid has all been replaced. Prior to all this it was much sloppier but theres is a bit of play to the left. When I take my hands off the wheel while driving it will turn itself to the left as well.

Any ideas what to lool at next? Steering column, dampener, or the ps gear itself?? In the vid the truck is parked, not on jack stands and the wheels are straight.

Last edited by mattyboi; 10-11-2017 at 08:47 AM.
mattyboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:57 AM   #2

Where's your ruler?!
You need to compare your steering wheel free-play to the spec. http://web.archive.org/web/201310211.../3onvehicl.pdf (30mm) From your video it doesn't look that far off.

"Hands-off steering" can be caused by uneven tire pressure (it doesn't take much, so check carefully) or an imperfect tire (switch wheels, see if it starts pulling the other way). But be very careful; road crown or parking lot slope can all do this too. Don't chase your tail.
scope103 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:59 AM   #3

Don't be overly concerned with play in the steering when you are parked. there will always be a little play in any steering gear or steering rack. If it pulls to one side when driving (other than a slight drift to the right due to road crown) get an alignment. Which needs to be done after replacing steering and suspension joints anyway.
akwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:21 AM   #4

It does go straight if I hold the steering wheel firmly straight. But I can always feel it pulling to the left. It's kinda annoying because after awhile it gets tiring lol I'll measure the specs and report back later.

I had it aligned last year but the left side control arm cam bolts were seized so the camber/caster is off on that side. Could that be causing it?

Last edited by mattyboi; 10-11-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyboi View Post
... the camber/caster is off on that side. Could that be causing it?
Yes. Camber doesn't usually get too far off; most of the most common alignment is "toe." Toe won't make it drift to one side (it will do a lot of other things) but camber will.

But I like to check the easy stuff first. Make sure it isn't the tires (inflation, wear) before you drop some money on an alignment, that may not help.
scope103 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:33 AM   #6

Tire psi is correct since I checked them a few days ago. Needed them to spec to re adjust my torsion bars. Driver side was sagging slightly. On a sode note why is the front psi so low? 26 front and 35 rear? Is there a reason why its so low?

I also measured the play. Owners manual calls withon 1.2" normal. My left side play comes to 2". Right side 1".
Old 10-11-2017, 01:46 PM   #7

when's the last time you repacked and reset the preleoad on your wheel bearings? technically i think it's like a 30-50k service interval
highonpottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:51 PM   #8

Summer 2016 which is probably only 5 000 km ago. No weird shakes or vibrations at highway speeds either. This truck drives pretty smoothly.