Brake light on? - YotaTech Forums



86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Brake light on?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-10-2017, 07:31 AM   #1
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 31
Brake light on?

What would cause the light to be on if the reservoir is full? It mostly comes on when going up a hill or making a hard turn. Anybody know where I should start checking? Also the connector seems snug.
yota tay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:30 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Francisco East Bay
Posts: 5,604
The Brake light also comes on with the parking brake. It can also come on if the alternator stops working.

But based on your stated symptoms (hill, hard turns) I would guess you have a water(fluid?)-logged float in the brake fluid reservoir, or a bent hangar. Just remove the cap and gently press down on the float. I can't tell you how many mm it SHOULD move before illuminating the light, but it should be at least the spacing between the "full" and "add" lines. If it's only a mm or 2, there's your problem.
scope103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:43 AM   #3
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by scope103 View Post
The Brake light also comes on with the parking brake. It can also come on if the alternator stops working.

But based on your stated symptoms (hill, hard turns) I would guess you have a water(fluid?)-logged float in the brake fluid reservoir, or a bent hangar. Just remove the cap and gently press down on the float. I can't tell you how many mm it SHOULD move before illuminating the light, but it should be at least the spacing between the "full" and "add" lines. If it's only a mm or 2, there's your problem.
Ok will check that. Thanks.
yota tay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:37 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Nervo19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,236
On my son's 2000 Tacoma the brake light kept coming on. I greased the parking brake cable and it fixed it. Five minute repair.
Nervo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:45 PM   #5
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervo19 View Post
On my son's 2000 Tacoma the brake light kept coming on. I greased the parking brake cable and it fixed it. Five minute repair.
Where exactly did you grease it? Thanks.
yota tay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:15 AM   #6
Registered User
 
89fourrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 100
Whenever I release the parking brake I always have to give the handle a little shimmy and shake to get the light to go out!
89fourrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:21 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Nervo19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by yota tay View Post
Where exactly did you grease it? Thanks.
If you crawl under it will be obvious. There's a brake cable running to the rear. Take your bottle of spray grease when you climb under and it takes a minute.
Nervo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:43 PM   #8
Registered User
 
RAD4Runner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by scope103 View Post
T ...But based on your stated symptoms (hill, hard turns) I would guess you have a water(fluid?)-logged float in the brake fluid reservoir, or a bent hangar. Just remove the cap and gently press down on the float. I can't tell you how many mm it SHOULD move before illuminating the light, but it should be at least the spacing between the "full" and "add" lines. If it's only a mm or 2, there's your problem.
+1
most likely this ^^^

But also check your e-brake sensing switch, in case it is just so slightly out of adjustment.
RAD4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:40 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Francisco East Bay
Posts: 5,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89fourrunner View Post
Whenever I release the parking brake I always have to give the handle a little shimmy and shake to get the light to go out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner View Post
... But also check your e-brake sensing switch, in case it is just so slightly out of adjustment.
As 89fourrunner says, "testing" the e-brake sensing switch (at least on the first go) is pretty easy. No need to climb under the truck until you determine it's the culprit.

What if shaking the parking brake lever makes the light go out? What do you do? All answers are found in The Good Book: http://web.archive.org/web/201102052.../6combinat.pdf

Last edited by scope103; 10-11-2017 at 02:45 PM.
scope103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:43 AM.


2017 InternetBrands, Inc.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: