Brake light on? - YotaTech Forums

86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Brake light on?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-10-2017, 07:31 AM   #1

Brake light on?

What would cause the light to be on if the reservoir is full? It mostly comes on when going up a hill or making a hard turn. Anybody know where I should start checking? Also the connector seems snug.
yota tay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:30 AM   #2

The Brake light also comes on with the parking brake. It can also come on if the alternator stops working.

But based on your stated symptoms (hill, hard turns) I would guess you have a water(fluid?)-logged float in the brake fluid reservoir, or a bent hangar. Just remove the cap and gently press down on the float. I can't tell you how many mm it SHOULD move before illuminating the light, but it should be at least the spacing between the "full" and "add" lines. If it's only a mm or 2, there's your problem.
scope103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scope103 View Post
The Brake light also comes on with the parking brake. It can also come on if the alternator stops working.

But based on your stated symptoms (hill, hard turns) I would guess you have a water(fluid?)-logged float in the brake fluid reservoir, or a bent hangar. Just remove the cap and gently press down on the float. I can't tell you how many mm it SHOULD move before illuminating the light, but it should be at least the spacing between the "full" and "add" lines. If it's only a mm or 2, there's your problem.
Ok will check that. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:37 AM   #4

On my son's 2000 Tacoma the brake light kept coming on. I greased the parking brake cable and it fixed it. Five minute repair.
Nervo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervo19 View Post
On my son's 2000 Tacoma the brake light kept coming on. I greased the parking brake cable and it fixed it. Five minute repair.
Where exactly did you grease it? Thanks.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:15 AM   #6

Whenever I release the parking brake I always have to give the handle a little shimmy and shake to get the light to go out!
89fourrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yota tay View Post
Where exactly did you grease it? Thanks.
If you crawl under it will be obvious. There's a brake cable running to the rear. Take your bottle of spray grease when you climb under and it takes a minute.
Nervo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scope103 View Post
T ...But based on your stated symptoms (hill, hard turns) I would guess you have a water(fluid?)-logged float in the brake fluid reservoir, or a bent hangar. Just remove the cap and gently press down on the float. I can't tell you how many mm it SHOULD move before illuminating the light, but it should be at least the spacing between the "full" and "add" lines. If it's only a mm or 2, there's your problem.
+1
most likely this ^^^

But also check your e-brake sensing switch, in case it is just so slightly out of adjustment.
RAD4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89fourrunner View Post
Whenever I release the parking brake I always have to give the handle a little shimmy and shake to get the light to go out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner View Post
... But also check your e-brake sensing switch, in case it is just so slightly out of adjustment.
As 89fourrunner says, "testing" the e-brake sensing switch (at least on the first go) is pretty easy. No need to climb under the truck until you determine it's the culprit.

What if shaking the parking brake lever makes the light go out? What do you do? All answers are found in The Good Book: http://web.archive.org/web/201102052.../6combinat.pdf

Last edited by scope103; 10-11-2017 at 02:45 PM.
scope103 is offline   Reply With Quote