86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Signal Light Mod

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Signal Light Mod

I forgot about this mod that I did a few years back. As you can see, I don't have signal lights on my bumper. When I had it made, the steel was too thick for me to cut 2 holes for the existing signal lights so, wanting to be a little different, what I did was take my riding/parking light dome, cut out a 1 inch hole closer to the bottom of it, put in the signal light and it works great. It is being held in by a zip strap and to date, haven't had any problems with it except when people are coming onto you, they are looking down at the bumper for some type of signal light until they see my marker lights going off. I've even had the police stop me once only because he wanted to do the same thing to his truck but wasn't sure how it would work.
Attached Thumbnails Signal Light Mod-dsc_0168.jpg   Signal Light Mod-signal-light-mod.jpg   Signal Light Mod-dsc_0171.jpg  
Old 06-15-2010, 03:45 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
pretty common mod, i would consider mixing some epoxy over the zip tie to hold the signal bulb holder in there...
Old 06-15-2010, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
pretty common mod, i would consider mixing some epoxy over the zip tie to hold the signal bulb holder in there...
I didn't know it was that common, oh well, just sharing.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:52 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
it is always cool to see different approaches
Old 06-15-2010, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
it is always cool to see different approaches
No worries...I would like to put a brighter bulb in there though, just so there is no mistaking it during the day.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:11 PM

I am planning on doing something very simmilar to that but im going to swich the running light to an LED on my bumper and take the blinker bulb and put it in place of the running light. Not to sure if its legal to do but im gona see haha
Old 06-15-2010, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mud Mut
I am planning on doing something very simmilar to that but im going to swich the running light to an LED on my bumper and take the blinker bulb and put it in place of the running light. Not to sure if its legal to do but im gona see haha
Kool....I'm not sure either but it sounds like a pretty good idea. I'm no god of the rules and regs or a state trooper but, my thinking is, that if you have lights, markers and signals...what can they say. Every different type of vehicle out there has a different setup eh!
Old 06-15-2010, 07:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
now, replace that plug with a 3-wire one, and stick an amber 1157 bulb in it, and use the one bulb for the park lights and turn signals

good job; that looks a lot cleaner and a lot better than some other's I've seen!
Old 06-16-2010, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
now, replace that plug with a 3-wire one, and stick an amber 1157 bulb in it, and use the one bulb for the park lights and turn signals

good job; that looks a lot cleaner and a lot better than some other's I've seen!
Now that's a GOOD idea, I never thought of doing that...now I have to do that. Thanks buddy.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:14 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
this is how I did mine:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199.../#post51475778
Old 06-16-2010, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
Kool....now that looks easy enough to do. I like the idea about the pill bottle cap, good thinking! Well this one will have to be tried, so I'm in. Thanks for this buddy.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:59 AM

the pill bottle was another guys idea, but if you go with the direct replacement then the 1157 bulb might be too long and have to space it out. but I tell you what, you might not be able to see a big difference is brightness from my photos, but it is much brighter. Might even be brighter on your gen as the 87's etc's reflector in the corner light is only like half of the housing size and a triangle at that. Made a huge difference in the turn signal as well, not just the running light.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:53 AM
Contributing Member

not too get off topic, but is that a 12v constant power wire coming from your battery and draped over the engine?
Old 06-16-2010, 09:38 AM

not too get off topic, but is that a 12v constant power wire coming from your battery and draped over the engine?
lol nope only when i got my fog lights on. haha. however, you should see my jumbled mess of a headlight wiring harness.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:44 AM
Contributing Member

I got a three wire plug like already mentioned. A 5 minute mod to the housing with my dremel tool and it snapped right in. Just make sure you put the wire to the bright filament as your turn signal the dim filament your park lights. I have the clear corners with an amber bulb. Looks factory when activated and is simple and clean. It always cracks me up when I see guys with their OEM turn signal housings all ghetto zip tied to their aftermarket bumpers. This mod is so simple and cost me about $10 bucks and 30 minutes.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:23 AM

the pill bottle was another guys idea, but if you go with the direct replacement then the 1157 bulb might be too long and have to space it out. but I tell you what, you might not be able to see a big difference is brightness from my photos, but it is much brighter. Might even be brighter on your gen as the 87's etc's reflector in the corner light is only like half of the housing size and a triangle at that. Made a huge difference in the turn signal as well, not just the running light.
Roger that....well I'll give it a shot and let you know how I made out. Thanks for all your info.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by UKMyers
I got a three wire plug like already mentioned. A 5 minute mod to the housing with my dremel tool and it snapped right in. Just make sure you put the wire to the bright filament as your turn signal the dim filament your park lights. I have the clear corners with an amber bulb. Looks factory when activated and is simple and clean. It always cracks me up when I see guys with their OEM turn signal housings all ghetto zip tied to their aftermarket bumpers. This mod is so simple and cost me about $10 bucks and 30 minutes.
So you can buy a 3-wire plug already made up?
Yeah I get a kick out of the zap-strap mod people do to there lights too, just another thing to add to the 'cheap mod' you can do to your rig eh. I think those zap-straps are one great invention. I have them all over the place and not just on my truck.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:56 AM

yes, I got mine at an A&A auto parts store. but I believe napa and any other store should sell the 1157 sockets.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:58 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by UKMyers
When I had my bumper on order through AOR, I had plans on using a set of LED strips and mounting them somewhere either on the bumper, or on the truck, and use them for turn signals

or caurse, then I cancelled the order on the bumper and sold the truck, and had the lights left over... so I put them to use on the new truck, lol

Old 06-16-2010, 12:27 PM

When I had my bumper on order through AOR, I had plans on using a set of LED strips and mounting them somewhere either on the bumper, or on the truck, and use them for turn signals

or caurse, then I cancelled the order on the bumper and sold the truck, and had the lights left over... so I put them to use on the new truck, lol

Wow...now that's bright! Looks good though.

Quick Reply: Signal Light Mod