Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Should transfer case lever lock in 4L? (934R)

Old 07-23-2006, 07:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Should transfer case lever lock in 4L? (934R)

Hi,

This is sort of urgent, because I am looking at buying a 93 4Runner, 3.0L, auto transmission, with roughly 170,000 miles on it by the middle of next week, and have one question that I wasn`t able to find an answer to here.

There is a lock button on the very top of the transfer case lever that you have to press in order to shift into 4Hi/4Lo. I took it out for quick spin, but haven`t had a chance to really try 4WD yet, as there was no dirt/sandy area around that day. I did try shifting it into 4WD while standing still, though. It went in and locked into 4Hi OK, but when trying to shift into 4Lo (I was in neutral on the auto trans and not moving at all) the lever would move down into the 4Lo position but the lever didn`t seem to click in like it did in the 4Hi position. The guy selling the car has only used 4WD a couple of times, and doesn`t know if it`s supposed to lock in or not. I know in my 3rd gen, sometimes I have to shift from "D" to "R" a couple of times if I`m not moving while trying to shift into 4WD. Would it be similar in a 2nd gen?

I am going to try it in a gravel pit tomorrow (I have a bit more time), so I`d like to know what I should be expecting. I`ll have no problem telling if it`s actually in 4Lo because of the gearing difference, but for anybody with that same transfer case shift lever, does it lock into 4Lo so that you have to press the button on top of the lever to get back out of it, or once in 4Lo, can you just push the lever up to shift back into 4Hi without pressing the button on the lever?

Thanks,
G

Last edited by GSGALLANT; 07-23-2006 at 07:42 AM.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
press the button, pull the lever towards your leg then down into 4lo. it works kind of like the safety set up on manual tranny's so you dont accidentally drop it into 4lo.

lee
Old 07-23-2006, 07:46 AM

Yes, thanks. But should it lock in so that you have to press the button to shift it back out of 4Lo is the real question?
Old 07-23-2006, 07:56 AM

i'm not sure...i always press the button on my 95 auto anyways...
Old 07-23-2006, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by 95RunnerSR5
i'm not sure...i always press the button on my 95 auto anyways...
Is there any chance you`ll be in your truck before tomorrow and you`d have time to try it and post back the results?
Old 07-23-2006, 08:16 AM

i just checked...you dont have to use the button at all when shifting from 4L to 4H and back to 2H..but you do have to use it when going from 2H to 4H to 4L. and when you put it in 4wd it will be in 4wd, there is no D to R like you were talkin about on your 3rd gen. most of the time you can feel it when you take it out of 4wd because it jumps a little.

Last edited by 95RunnerSR5; 07-23-2006 at 08:18 AM.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:29 AM

Awesome. Thank you so much for checking.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:25 PM

You dont have to be in Neutral to switch into 4L, just going really slow, I think under 10MPH.

Di the truck have teh head gasket recall done? That would be worth looking into.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:28 PM

i always thought you had to be at a standstill to put her in 4wd...unless someone has proof otherwise i'm gonna keep stopping
Old 07-23-2006, 02:39 PM

Nope, I have proof of doing it all the time. The manual says its OK. If you look in the FSM it shows the range of speed that you can shift into 4x4 hi or lo. You can be going 40+ MPH and pop it into 4H, whether your hubs are locked or not. I dunno about auto locking hubs but it doubt it matters. I promise you can do this. (unless the v6 and 22re are completely different in regards to the tranny.

This is how I found out, after being scared when I first got my little truck:

Here: http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/u...x.cfm/id/2425/

1990-94 Toyota Pickup: Highlights

Compact Toyota pickups gained a restyling for 1989, with shift-on-the-fly part-time 4-wheel drive and rear antilock brakes. The new ABS system was standard on SR5 V6 models, optional on SR5 4-cylinder pickups. Standard powerplants in 1990 included both a fuel-injected and carbureted 2.4-liter 4-cylinder engine, plus an available 150-horsepower 3.0-liter V6. The two 4-cylinder engines provided 102 horsepower and 116 horsepower, respectively. Standard on SR5 V6 models and optional on Xtracab Deluxe pickups was the 3.0-liter V6. The carbureted engine offered a 4-speed manual gearbox, while the other two came standard with a 5-speed manual, with an available 4-speed overdrive automatic.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by trythis
You dont have to be in Neutral to switch into 4L, just going really slow, I think under 10MPH.

Di the truck have teh head gasket recall done? That would be worth looking into.
The head gasket recall was done in Oct '97, but thanks for the heads-up. The steering relay rod recall was not done yet, but the guy still has his letter. I have to get that done, I need to replace the valve cover gaskets, sway bar end links in the front need new bushings, one cv boot has a tiny tear in it, the windshield has a crack in it, so it will need to be replaced prior to the next MVI, there's a small oil leak through the rear pinion seal, and one U-joint is bad in the rear driveshaft. Other than that, it's in pretty good shape for a 93'. Oh, and pretty soon, I'll need 4 new shocks.

I test drove it again tonight in a gravel pit, and the 4WD compares quite well to my 2002 other than VSC, of course.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by trythis
You can be going 40+ MPH and pop it into 4H, whether your hubs are locked or not.

Okay...to straighten this out. Please read the missinformation sticky.

IF you have manual hubs from the factory, and your hubs are not locked in, you CANNOT CANNOT CANNOT put into 4 hi from 2hi at any speed other than zero.

Why? Becasue the front gears are not spinning in the transfer case, and you'll just grind the hell out of it. The front gears get spun up by the hubs being locked in and the tires spining the front shaft. no hubs= no spin and you'll not be happy with it. I've done it before thinking my hubs were in when they weren't.

However, if you're hubs are locked in and what not, and everything is good to go for going to 4wd, it is possible to go from 4hi to 4lo at slow speeds. I don't but that is personal preference, i wish to keep my gears in the best condition they can be in, and unless you are going at the exact right speed or under, its tough not to grind.

The second thing is this 'safety' that people are talking about on the manuals? Mine has none, and my brothers has none, both manual tranny, but mine is an 87 and his is a 95. What exactly is this, and where is it found?

Last edited by AxleIke; 07-24-2006 at 08:44 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:30 PM
Contributing Member

Oh BTW guy I just want to make note this ONLY applys to the AUTO trans if you try to pop a manual in to 4wd while in gear your going to be looking at a big bill, or so I've heared. You can push in the clutch and shift (in to and out of 4hi) it while moving but not 4lo.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
No, you can shift into 4hi on the fly even while on the gas with a manual.

Your front and rear tires just have to be going the same speed, ie you can't be spinning the rear tires.

4lo requires you to be close to stopped or stopped

Search this Thread