Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Setting record straight on IFS

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 06:47 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Whatever

Blow me. Wheel what you got. From what I know of yotatech very few of us are professionals. Venders will tell you anything it takes to get you to buy there crap. A SAS before gears and traction devices will get you the same as a stock IFS: getting help to get over the hard stuff. And not a Single SAS rig is the same as a stock straight axle.

No matter what your rig is the way you drive is more important than this mod or that.

If you got the skills do do the stuff yourself, great I need a good teacher. If only your wallet is your only skill, go piss off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIh4or5EUsc
Old 01-10-2008, 06:48 PM

Location: I live in Red Bluff ca. Right by the Sacramento river
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ifs and Straight axles are very different. 1 is for comfort, the other for strength. An ifs suspension, when flexed, will actually move crucial parts CLOSER to the ground, whereas a solid axle will move it up out of the way. A ifs with a leaf spring rear, creates some VERY strange balancing acts. Ifs is good for the camper, or occasional wheeler. But for true piece of mind, and depnedability, go with a solid axle. Cv boots are lame anyways, constantly tearing. I would buy a ifs rig, only for dd, and mild wheeling.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
IFS can be rock crawled.

Solid Axles are better for it, stronger, and much more dependable.

there are only a handful of people on this site who have built solid axles that are stronger and better than stock IFS. Most just want to look cool and talk tough.

There are trails where a solid axle is needed. Guess what? Those same trails involve lots of body damage.

There are few trails in the country that a solid axle truck can get up damage free that an IFS rig cannot. They are all in Arizona and California.

Those same trails require big balls, and big tires.

I have never torn a CV boot. I still have my pass side axle, original, from the factory in 1987. Driver got broke. Ask TC if you don't think it gets wheeled.

Also, when did wheeling become a competition? Are we feeling a bit concerned on the length of our penises now?

Last edited by AxleIke; 01-10-2008 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EWAYota
Not going to agree or disagree with you on this one, but please explain what IFS has anything to do with being better that a Solid Axled truck in ruts when that comes down to ground clearance and hp along with good tire tread getting you thru, not suspension set-up.
In theory you dont bottom out on the differential on an IFS where as you would in a SA. Frankly I agree. Does either matter when you are on 33s and find a rut someone with 44"+ tires cut? Nope.

How does someone "out wheel" someone else? Im still a little confused on that one...

ps - wow old post...hehe

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 01-10-2008 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:50 PM
Contributing Member

Damaging under carriage is irrelevant.

I have more steel between the rocks and my front diff than any SA guy does. And its completely smooth.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:31 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AxleIke
IFS can be rock crawled.

Solid Axles are better for it, stronger, and much more dependable.

there are only a handful of people on this site who have built solid axles that are stronger and better than stock IFS. Most just want to look cool and talk tough.

There are trails where a solid axle is needed. Guess what? Those same trails involve lots of body damage.

There are few trails in the country that a solid axle truck can get up damage free that an IFS rig cannot. They are all in Arizona and California.

Those same trails require big balls, and big tires.

I have never torn a CV boot. I still have my pass side axle, original, from the factory in 1987. Driver got broke. Ask TC if you don't think it gets wheeled.

Also, when did wheeling become a competition? Are we feeling a bit concerned on the length of our penises now?

x2

Check out the link below for plenty of pix, and search on youtube for "Lysmachia" for videos.

I have said it before and it bears repeating. I have one of each - IFS and SFA. I spend as much time, if not more, working on the SFA truck as the IFS.

The limitation of '86-95 rigs, is not the IFS. It is the driver and the willingness to take body/glass damage.

Last edited by tc; 01-11-2008 at 05:44 AM.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:47 AM
tc
Contributing Member

1 other thought.

Let's say we buy two identical rigs, and you have $3000 to mod them, and then we'll do a trail.

You cut corners and do a simple SAS and rear lift, with 35" wheels and tires and barely squeeze in at budget.

I do lockers/gears, armor, 33x10.50 on the stock rims, and maybe have money left over.

My truck clears the trail. no problem, you stall it on everything steep and get stuck everytime a wheel gets light. Guaranteed.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:54 AM

the thing that worries me is that people who don't have the skills are also doing SAS. if they build them just for off road OK, but driving a cluegged together rig on the street is just too dangerous and careless.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:17 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

I love IFS!

On my 2007 4x2 4Runner! (My wife's that she told me to stay away from! )

IFS trail rigs are fine for your average joe wheeler who does light to moderate trails with a few difficult spots thrown in and drives home.

SFA for above and beyond.

Biggest draw back to IFS I see is that the components will not handle tires over 35" and that is pushing the limit. Bigger tires make a big difference in where you can go up and over.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 01-11-2008 at 06:19 AM.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:26 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit

SFA for above and beyond.

Biggest draw back to IFS I see is that the components will not handle tires over 35" and that is pushing the limit. Bigger tires make a big difference in where you can go up and over.

Somewhat agreed. If you put cromo at all 4 corners and are double locked. Otherwise you have IFS axle strength, and lots of room for big tires.

I would clarify "above and beyond" as Trails in which much body damage will be incurred, and glass is a no no. Those are buggy trails.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:35 AM
Contributing Member

Ike, we all know that you, TC, and all others who are wheeling hard trails with IFS are violating the Toyota 4wd vehicle laws. You need to stop that now, and immediately swap your truck to solid axle, so that you will be within the parameters of acceptable wheeling equipment.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:39 AM
Contributing Member

Ah crap! BUSTED AGAIN!!!

LOL!!
Old 01-11-2008, 07:40 AM
Contributing Member

Actually, I'm pretty sure this is a completely go nowhere argument.

Those with SA's will defend their trucks, those with IFS will defend theirs, and in the end, we will always just fight amongst ourselves.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:48 AM
Contributing Member

Actually, I'm pretty sure this is a completely go nowhere argument.

Those with SA's will defend their trucks, those with IFS will defend theirs, and in the end, we will always just fight amongst ourselves.
Finally!!!! Now, lets go wheeling.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:56 AM

Are we feeling a bit concerned on the length of our penises now?
Always...
Old 01-11-2008, 08:05 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by 94runnerguy
BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when my 4' pro comp lift, 33's, f/r TruTrac's, headers, dual exhaust, and cold air intake come in my runner will WOOP yur trucks A$$ in any element
dunno who dug this old thread up, but this quote about the 4' pro comp lift kit is classic....I would love to see that lift kit I am sure he meant 4" procomp

I have both an IFS truck and an SA truck. The '05 sure rides better but the '81 is more fun to drive
Old 01-11-2008, 08:42 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought no one else had noticed, as they were too busy picking apart the other parts of his post, haha. But 4 ft. of lift is very much! I'd love to see an IFS truck with 4' of lift...

Old 01-11-2008, 12:32 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tacoclimber
Ike, we all know that you, TC, and all others who are wheeling hard trails with IFS are violating the Toyota 4wd vehicle laws. You need to stop that now, and immediately swap your truck to solid axle, so that you will be within the parameters of acceptable wheeling equipment.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
In theory you dont bottom out on the differential on an IFS where as you would in a SA. Frankly I agree. Does either matter when you are on 33s and find a rut someone with 44"+ tires cut? Nope.

How does someone "out wheel" someone else? Im still a little confused on that one...

ps - wow old post...hehe
only thing im concearned about outwheeling are those damn jeeps, but thats never too dificult now is it
Old 01-11-2008, 01:51 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by apalmer1
only thing im concearned about outwheeling are those damn jeeps, but thats never too dificult now is it
Oh great, we went from a IFS vs. SFA urination match to Toyota vs. Jeep?

Let's stay on topic here... Let's see, where were we? Oh yes, IFS sucks, SFA rules. That's where we were at, right?

Quick Reply: Setting record straight on IFS