Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Setting record straight on IFS

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Setting record straight on IFS

I hear all this talk about how IFS is crap but thats just all u rockrawler guys talking. IFS is better in the mud than solid axles especially in ruts. DONT bash someone because they have IFS maybe they dont have the money available for an SAS.

All im saying is not everyone plays in the rock some of us play in the mud too.

Last edited by 94runnerguy; 05-31-2006 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hey, i don't care if you have IFS or what, my truck will still beat your truck up in the mud. lucky for you, i stay out of that crap.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:45 PM
Contributing Member

ive done my share of rock work with ifs, you just need to be more select in picking you line. a good spotter that you trust and seat time will make it a more enjoyable time.

im pretty much stock as well, all i have so far are m/t's that i have been experimenting with by airing down. there are a few places i need a tug or winch from my wheeling buddies to get through but for the most part, i can go pretty much where everyone else does.

oh, btw, most of my wheeling buddies have jeeps that are lifted, locked and on 33's! i just love tooling along a trail in stock form that they have had to mod the daylights out of their trucks to get through!

lee
Old 05-21-2006, 01:37 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For 99.9999% of the people out there, IFS can handle more trails than they would ever take their truck on. Put it on 33's with <4" lift and lock both ends and you can go just about anywhere you want to go.

100% of the people with SAS should have really considered building a buggy because the trails you need SAS for are generally not suitable for taking a full bodied rig on...

My $0.02

Last edited by tc; 05-21-2006 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-21-2006, 02:26 PM

hey, i don't care if you have IFS or what, my truck will still beat your truck up in the mud. lucky for you, i stay out of that crap.

Well right now your truck can probably beat my runner in the mud beacause its stock with 31s at least 456's and a 3.0L V6 AT. BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when my 4' pro comp lift, 33's, f/r TruTrac's, headers, dual exhaust, and cold air intake come in my runner will WOOP yur trucks A$$ in any element
Old 05-21-2006, 02:31 PM

What people need to realize is that most of the people who do SAS do it because they can. I love working with metal and trying to challenge myself. Sometimes more of the challenge is in the shop not on the trail. For those who have the equipment and skills to work with metal there are only so many things you can do, eventually you hit a point where you want to do something more serious then sliders or bumpers ,and what is more challenging then cutting off all of you suspension and possibly jeopardizing your vehicle. Why do people fix up old cars, I mean a lot of them don't drive well get poor gas mileage and are impracticable, but they do it because they can and the cars are cool. In the end once you wheel a solid axle you would never want to go back to IFS

Last edited by cubuff4runner; 05-21-2006 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-21-2006, 02:37 PM

if anyone says anything bad about IFS just mention the HUMMER! it has IFS and IRS and can go places that no other stock vehicle can go
Old 05-21-2006, 03:13 PM
Contributing Member

This thread makes me laugh... Ever seen a stock Hummer on the trails? They are serious pieces... too big, too heavy, too underpowered, too fragile. Wheel with one and plan to recover it. It never fails to happen. If you were talking about the military "HMMWV", then they ARE pretty useful for what they do, but you can hardly call them "stock". The toned down yuppie station wagon that civilians buy is nothing but a grocery getter in stock form.

IFS works great for desert runners, when highly modified. Otherwise, IFS stands for "Inferior Front Suspension".
Old 05-21-2006, 03:28 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Even for those who don't wheel hard, or don't wheel hard YET, a solid axle is stronger, easier to maintain (back me up on this), and it's way easier to work on everything under the front of the truck without the IFS in the way! Helps the resale value too, I'm sure.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:31 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RustBucket
Even for those who don't wheel hard, or don't wheel hard YET, a solid axle is stronger, easier to maintain (back me up on this), and it's way easier to work on everything under the front of the truck without the IFS in the way! Helps the resale value too, I'm sure.
I am with you, right up to the resale value thing... maybe for a very select audience, but for the most part, cutting off the suspension and replacing it with something homebuilt will cut the resale value to almost nothing. Resale is NOT a good reason to do a swap.

However, I will add that in addition to everything else you said, mine rides as good or better after the swap as it did before. A bit more oversteer, but otherwise smooth as butter. I would not hesitate to do a several thousand mile road trip any more now than I would have stock. (you pay the gas!) hahahha
Old 05-21-2006, 03:31 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 94runnerguy
Well right now your truck can probably beat my runner in the mud beacause its stock with 31s at least 456's and a 3.0L V6 AT. BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when my 4' pro comp lift, 33's, f/r TruTrac's, headers, dual exhaust, and cold air intake come in my runner will WOOP yur trucks A$$ in any element

Old 05-21-2006, 03:32 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RustBucket
Perhaps, but the money to do the swap would be better spent elsewhere (namely armor and lockers).

I REALLY can't see an SAS helping resale. It will certainly limit the available "pool" of people who are interested in buying it to those who seriously 'wheel,and they probably already have a SFA truck...
Old 05-21-2006, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by WATRD
This thread makes me laugh... Ever seen a stock Hummer on the trails? They are serious pieces... too big, too heavy, too underpowered, too fragile. Wheel with one and plan to recover it. It never fails to happen. If you were talking about the military "HMMWV", then they ARE pretty useful for what they do, but you can hardly call them "stock". The toned down yuppie station wagon that civilians buy is nothing but a grocery getter in stock form.

IFS works great for desert runners, when highly modified. Otherwise, IFS stands for "Inferior Front Suspension".

Thats so true, thats why the military uses them in some of the most extreme terrains , yeah the new h1s have the duramax diesel in them and i doubt that needs help. And i know because my dad was a marine and we rode in them quite a bit. and no they are not fragile thats ignant .... and SAS is better when your pushing more torque, i dont trust CVs as far as i can spit... mine feel like they are gonna break doing some minor trails, sas is better in almost everything except desert. unless you have a really nice IFS setup. They are usually and mostly stronger.
Old 05-21-2006, 03:48 PM

All i can say is that i have a buddy with a FJ40 (SFA) and i have gone on every single trail he has and haven't had any problems. For people who like to do metal work and have the skills SAS is a great but for those who don't have the $$ or the skills a beefed up IFS can handle a lot more than what we think. IFS just isn't for desert racing, it can handle the rocks just as well just not as much articulation but hey the harder the challenge means its more fun. But anyway guys who really gives a crap about how your truck can beat his truck and so on. We all go on trails and all of us come back whether we have a SFA or IFS.

Last edited by 4Runner92sr5; 05-21-2006 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:15 PM

SFA is awesome...
IFS is awsome...

They both are amazing, i dont think anyone should be bashing...the good thing is:

We all like to wheel yotas, get along and help each other...

Yeah, keep saying that over and over...by the time you get the money to do that, your runner will be old and rusted. Quit talkin trash...

Edit: And starting arguments...

Last edited by Swissdrums; 05-21-2006 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:12 PM
Contributing Member

I am not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing... the two halves of your post seem to contradict each other...

Originally Posted by Sonofmayhem
Thats so true, thats why the military uses them in some of the most extreme terrains , yeah the new h1s have the duramax diesel in them and i doubt that needs help. And i know because my dad was a marine and we rode in them quite a bit. and no they are not fragile thats ignant ....
Considering your post, it's ironic that I have to tell you this, but it's "ignorant", not "ignant".

You might have read in my post where I qualified that I was NOT speaking of the military version, that is not a "Hummer". A Hummer is the dumbed down civvy version.

Have you actually seen the civilian version on the trail? I have and I have recovered them. It's not pretty...

Originally Posted by Sonofmayhem
and SAS is better when your pushing more torque, i dont trust CVs as far as i can spit... mine feel like they are gonna break doing some minor trails, sas is better in almost everything except desert. unless you have a really nice IFS setup. They are usually and mostly stronger.
Now it sounds like you are agreeing with my post...

???

Anyway, I love IFS. I am the first to say "wheel what you got". I wheeled the <urine stream> out of my IFS, broke it, beefed it and wheeled it some more.

But, it's just silly to say that IFS is comparable to SA in any off road context beyond the high speed sand/desert stuff. IFS, as we know it, was designed to give a cushy ride so you won't spill your latte. The IFS on any stock truck was not designed with any sort of off road prowess as a goal. Sure, you can beef it up, but you can't teach a pig to sing. It's wastes your time and annoys the pig. The guys who keep the IFS for desert running put as much money and labor in as any Solid Axle Swap and they replace darn near as much.

Take any well engineered SAS, put it next to a well built IFS and the SAS will always go places the IFS cannot. The same cannot be said in reverse, unless you are talking about 80 mph down a desert wash.

http://www.watrd.com/gallery/albums/...ssas.sized.jpg

Last edited by WATRD; 05-21-2006 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:36 PM

Are you 12....16 perhaps? Wow.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:49 PM

there are a few trucks up here in kelowna bc with this kit. i belive they are sold her too. the big white jeep won top truck a few years back.
http://www.gocms.com/index.html

Last edited by 924runner; 05-21-2006 at 08:52 PM. Reason: subscribe
Old 05-21-2006, 08:50 PM

i like IFS i think it works well. my dad has had an 86 4runner since dec of 85 and we have gone a TON of places. more than i can even remember. all on 31's and add a leaf and tightened torsion bars. i dont know how many full sized straight axle trucks we've seen stuck along the way. even pulled a bunch out. (that lil 22re pullin out f250s is pretty sweet) i would like to have a straight axle. but to tell you the truth IFS has never failed me in any way. to tell you the truth i think alot of people SAS their trucks cuz it looks cool and gives them bragin rights. i dont know how many people ive seen on places like this that SAS their rigs and the only thing i see is a pic of how much it can flex in a parking lot. i know this guy who just SAS his 2 gen runner and i never even seen/heard of him wheeling his IFS when he had 4 inch lift and 33s. but for extreem rock crawling a SA is needed. but when the time comes that i would need to SAS my rig to get somewhere is when i buy/build a buggy. i like the way my truck looks now. i dont think it needs giant dents in it to look better. if my IFS cant get somewhere than that means i dont need to be there.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:09 PM

Do SFA in the toyota hurt as much on the road as old chevy SFA trucks. I road in one that was bone jarring on the smallest road bumps. Freaking awful. Anyway, anyone ever built a six wheeler yota? all three solid front axles or indepenent?

Quick Reply: Setting record straight on IFS