86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

SAS & X-over steering = pulls hard left

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 04:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SAS & X-over steering = pulls hard left

I recently SAS'd my junk and for the first couple hundred miles and the first off road trip it tracked perfectly down the highway. Even on the 3+ hour ride home from my last wheeling trip it rode fine.

I drove my truck a week or two after that and it started pulling really hard to the driver's side. I double checked the toe in and I have it at about 1/8" in. The brakes aren't dragging, the tires are all properly inflated and with good tread, the wheel bearings are brand new and properly adjusted.

But I can't figure out why it pulls so hard to the driver's side. Any suggestions? I was thinking about messing with the draglink to see if that made it any better.

Thanks.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:15 PM

Is it actaully pulling or is the steering wheel just off center?
Old 07-07-2006, 08:34 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Get a full alignment done by a true alignment shop (some place that ONLY does alignments - not Sears, NTB, etc). The wheels may be turned to the left AND still read OK on your toe-in. Need radius plates, etc to check. Make sure they pay extra special attention to the caster so you minimize the chance of death wobble.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by 91Toyota4x4
Is it actaully pulling or is the steering wheel just off center?
It is pulling pretty hard. The wheel was just a bit off center after the SAS (actually it was a bit off when still IFS). I have already pulled the wheel and put it back on straight.

Originally Posted by tc
Get a full alignment done by a true alignment shop (some place that ONLY does alignments - not Sears, NTB, etc). The wheels may be turned to the left AND still read OK on your toe-in. Need radius plates, etc to check. Make sure they pay extra special attention to the caster so you minimize the chance of death wobble.
That's what I'm gonna do if I can't get it straightened out later tonight. The weird thing is that I drove a couple hundred miles before I had any problems.

Thanks for the input.