Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

runnin on 3 out of 4 cylinders....

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry runnin on 3 out of 4 cylinders....

i have an 87 4runner, with a 22re. ive one over the wiring system 20 times, checked and rechecked timing, ive done alot of work trying to figure out my dilema but i cant find the answer to my problem... my problem is is that my truck has a constant miss on cylinder 2, now, i know the problem isnt the injectors or wires, or timing, leaks, or bad compression. its just one of those things thats a complete confusing mess... if anyone has any kind of ideas, any at all it would be greatly appreciated, ive been unable to drive it for about 8 months... and im not a happy camper!!!
Old 04-11-2009, 11:45 PM

check the basic stuff fuel air spark on that cylinder. check the points, becasue if there is carbon build up then spark will be sluggish also at the base of the dizzy check that but be careful.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:21 AM

Try this...get the tank to about 1/4 full, then put 1 or 2 bottles of fuel injector cleaner in there...if the misfire stops its a sticking fuel injector...I am dealing with this problem now!!

If its not that, and you are sure its not anything else you have stated, then you are looking at a burnt valve, or a blown headgasket or somthing serious
Old 04-12-2009, 05:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
so you've ohm'd the injector and it's good?
have you tried swapping injector plugs to see if the problem follows the wiring?
Old 04-12-2009, 06:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by spanish-road
check the basic stuff fuel air spark on that cylinder. check the points, becasue if there is carbon build up then spark will be sluggish also at the base of the dizzy check that but be careful.
points?

I'll assume you mean the contacts inside the cap

yeah that could cause a constant cyl misfire

what cyl 2's spark plug look like?
Old 04-12-2009, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by spanish-road
triple check yes, carbon no, and dizzy fine
Old 04-12-2009, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by 1989toy4wd
Try this...get the tank to about 1/4 full, then put 1 or 2 bottles of fuel injector cleaner in there...if the misfire stops its a sticking fuel injector...I am dealing with this problem now!!

If its not that, and you are sure its not anything else you have stated, then you are looking at a burnt valve, or a blown headgasket or somthing serious
i swapped heads for a better one, valves are all good, no leaks there, and new headgasket of course, cuz that was one of my first thoughts, but i guess not.. ill try the injector cleaner cleaner when i can get my truck out of my garage
Old 04-12-2009, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
so you've ohm'd the injector and it's good?
have you tried swapping injector plugs to see if the problem follows the wiring?
injectors are all in spec, tried swapping them out, that did nothing, i had the upper plenum off for about a week and i put everything back together, and it ran fin for about a week than same thing happened
Old 04-12-2009, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
points?

I'll assume you mean the contacts inside the cap

yeah that could cause a constant cyl misfire

what cyl 2's spark plug look like?
too clean
Old 04-12-2009, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Batman
injectors are all in spec, tried swapping them out, that did nothing, i had the upper plenum off for about a week and i put everything back together, and it ran fin for about a week than same thing happened
so injectors are all in spec and you tried swapping injectors around... all fine and dandy....
did you try swapping plugs between injectors (which is what I asked but you didn't answer)?
Old 04-12-2009, 11:30 PM

srry for not answering your question, i was elsewhere while typing... umm yea, i put new plugs in, tried it, rearanged wires and plugs and injectors.. and still the same results...
Old 04-13-2009, 04:07 AM

broken plug, wire not making good contact on the dizzy/plug, contact inside the dizzy cap gone or not aligned. those are my sugestions.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:23 AM

How do you know it is number 2?
Old 04-13-2009, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by desertcox05
broken plug, wire not making good contact on the dizzy/plug, contact inside the dizzy cap gone or not aligned. those are my sugestions.
the plugs are fairly new, no cracks or broken pieces... wires are fairly new.. ill have to check the contacts with the dizzy
Old 04-13-2009, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Flash319
How do you know it is number 2?
because i started pulling the wires from the dizy when it was running and when the one for cyl 2 was pulled nothin happened, and when pulled 1,3,4, the idle went down...and i pulled the wire from both ends, theres spark on both sides but no firing
Old 04-14-2009, 04:29 AM

spark plugs can be broken on the inside and not look bad fron the outside. i feel you should replace the plugs, wires.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:39 AM

I would unplug that injector and run 12V to it. It should click. If not it is bad. Just because the coil shows a good reading does not mean that the injector is not stuck.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:02 AM

I would unplug that injector and run 12V to it. It should click. If not it is bad. Just because the coil shows a good reading does not mean that the injector is not stuck.
I wouldn't do that. It doesn't take much current to burn the coil out in an injector, particularly with low-impedence injectors. They are designed to be on for hundreths of a second at most and be cooled off by the fuel they're spraying. If it ohmed out okay then likely the injector is fine, well except for maybe leaking or bad spray pattern or crap plugging it up. A 'noid' light on the injecter plug will confirm if the injector is getting the pulse from the ECU to fire.

@Batman- how did you determine that compression isn't a problem? I'm assuming you did a compression test? Did you do a leakdown test? How does the sparkplug in that cylinder look? Have you double-checked the valve lash on that cylinder?
Old 04-14-2009, 10:08 AM

And to all- it's a 22re so no points to check. Just a rotor and hall-effect sensor... which brings to mind checking the air-gap between the rotor and hall-effect / pickup coil.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
um, yeah, definately NOT a good idea... I don't even think they fire off a full 12v, do they?

Quick Reply: runnin on 3 out of 4 cylinders....