Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

rough starting 22re

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rough starting 22re

first off, i'm new to the forum and i've been searching for the problem my truck is having but can't seem to find an exact match.

every once in a while( very 2 or 3 weeks) my truck won't turnover. it just clicks once under the passenger side dash and thats it. all my gauges show full power and battery checks fine. and i've tried hitting the starter while someone cranks it and that works usually. but when it does finally start it runs really rough and blows blue smoke for a few seconds then levels off fine and runs normally. anyone have any ideas? is the starter getting stuck out after it starts?

any help is appreciated. i'm a newbie so please excuse.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:40 AM

forgot to mention its a 1991 extended cab 5 speed 4x4 with 22re motor
Old 10-05-2012, 07:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I would check all the usual suspects for starting issues. Batt/ batt voltage , starter, all other ign components. As far as running rough and burning oil , check afm,, tps, aav, etc. oil burning on startup could be valve guide seals, could be rings if burning all the time. Have you done a compression test ?
Old 10-12-2012, 11:54 AM

I also had lots of black smoke with my '87 pickup and finally rebuilt the carb, worked great!
Old 10-12-2012, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by midtnyota
first off, i'm new to the forum and i've been searching for the problem my truck is having but can't seem to find an exact match.

every once in a while( very 2 or 3 weeks) my truck won't turnover. it just clicks once under the passenger side dash and thats it. all my gauges show full power and battery checks fine. and i've tried hitting the starter while someone cranks it and that works usually. but when it does finally start it runs really rough and blows blue smoke for a few seconds then levels off fine and runs normally. anyone have any ideas? is the starter getting stuck out after it starts?

any help is appreciated. i'm a newbie so please excuse.
my v6 pickup is doing the same thing. I've tried a new clutch position switch and starter relay and neither have fixed the issue. tomorrow after work i'm going to pull the starter out and see what i can find. i'm hoping its only contacts since they are so inexpensive, but its never that easy is it. anyways, i will post up my findings tomorrow if that helps
Old 10-12-2012, 10:03 PM

it kind of sounds like a loose battery connection and maybe the running rough and blue smoke are something completely different. Blue smoke is almost surely valve seals, nothing to worry about but check the oil pretty often till you replace them.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by iliketoyota
it kind of sounds like a loose battery connection and maybe the running rough and blue smoke are something completely different. Blue smoke is almost surely valve seals, nothing to worry about but check the oil pretty often till you replace them.
My truck dosent smoke on the startups, so I also think that could be another issue. I've re-done my battery contacts and it didnt make a difference, however it might be a good thing for the OP to do just to make sure its not something small like that.

personally, I think its a couple different issues inside the starter, like worn contacts, and the starter gear not disengaging from the flywheel causing the engine to bog.

From my searching, its not a common issue with these trucks, but its on the top of my priority list to get fixed as I would rather not get stranded somewhere.........not to mention its eating me alive!!